Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    They can always make a new minipet and/or mount and throw it up on the Blizz Store to print extra money. I don't see them in danger any time remotely soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    In your case and maybe top end raiders in a race. 16/16H this last week finally and many of us never bothered with rep or dailies. Again, it is optional and not required. It is also a bonus chance at loot and people should be expected to put in a bit of time or effort to receive it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 01:44 AM ----------

Which could also include many people who have signed up since then as well. Your argument works both ways. Regardless of price, it still sold 12M copies.
    B/s. Stop telling people what's optional or not for them, that's different for everyone. And good for you being proud that you finally cleared the content, but for those of us who take it seriously and cleared it weeks ago, optional doesn't exist, and that's the end of it. If any of our raiders is caught not doing their reps or capping valor, there's going to be a problem. Thankfully, everyone is fully committed.

It's tiresome to hear this "optional" vs "mandatory" argument. It's great that you don't care enough to do whatever you can to be at your best for your raids, that's fantastic and tbh, great for you that your guild puts up with that semi-dedication. But for tons of us, it's not, and we'll be putting up with the shit Blizz shoves through our throat no matter what so we can do what we care about a lot to the fullest. That is how at ilevel 508 I'm still doing random dungeons every day, LFR, and frigging dailies even though I'm exalted thrice over. For people like us, raiding is their favourite past time and we'll do whatever it takes to do it properly - just like buying a new racket for your tennis sports is "optional", but it sure as hell will improve your performance.

Besides, even "optional" does not excuse content being crap. Not saying Mop's content is crap (just the valor grind I have an issue with really), but that's how some people feel.

For that matter, the entire frigging game is optional, I don't even get why this argument exists in the first place. Content exists to be done, when people feel they hate the majority of the content I think they have a right to complain.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 03:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Udderpowered View Post
    That was such a beautiful bit of ownage that I think we all need to take a step back and admire it for a few seconds.

WoW is still doing extremely well, but pretending losing half a mil players is nothing is equally stupid as saying WoW is dying. 500k is the whole playerbase of some MMO's.
    Sure, it sucks, but in the big image of things in WOW, it's but a comma in the total amount of players and I don't think Blizzard is terribly fussed. Besides, declining subs at the end of a patch have pretty much been a trend since forever.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2013-02-08 at 02:31 AM.

20 years from now there will still be people playing this game. I haven't touched it since 2011 december and don't plan to anymore tho'. Dead realm, asking extra fee for transfers, constant gear resets etc. Not my thing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    It is so hilarious to watch the pathetic predictions, or should I say pleading, of The Haters.

WOW has AT LEAST 20 Years left.

That is a long time to hate.
    ...but you said the newest expansion (MoP) was for sure going to top the 15 million user watermark. What happened there? (Check Pancaspe's posting history)

The thing with MoP, is either people loving it, or hate it. I can't see MoP gaining numbers at all, its going to keep sliding.

I can see the next announcement being much lower tbh.
    To have closed your account by Dec 31st, you would have needed to unsub by the end of Nov. The way the raids where gated, it wasn't until Nov 20th that all were even opened. So most people would have held off quitting until after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Udderpowered View Post
    That was such a beautiful bit of ownage that I think we all need to take a step back and admire it for a few seconds.

WoW is still doing extremely well, but pretending losing half a mil players is nothing is equally stupid as saying WoW is dying. 500k is the whole playerbase of some MMO's.
    This.

Anyone running around screaming

WOW IS DEAD is a fool.

WoW wont be dead for a long time, at least 10 years if they keep going the way they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    How can the worst game ever made be the best selling also? Just goes to show if Blizard puts their name on a pile of poo it will sell.
    someone has never played superman 64.

honestly i played diablo 2 and diablo 3 back to back neither felt like bad games were they great games? i wouldnt say so but they were definitely good games and diablo 2 was far from what people told me it was going to be

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    WoW East doesn't pay by the month, they pay by the hour. Buy 1 hr in a quarter and they count you as a sub.
    it says on what is counted as a sub that its only if theyve played within the past 30 days. not the entire quarter
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

hopefully it keeps going steadily now, far enough so that they at least wake up and fire that fucking idiot ghostcrawler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    it says on what is counted as a sub that its only if theyve played within the past 30 days. not the entire quarter
    Do they report subscription numbers every month or every quarter?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    It's a 5% drop. How is a 5% drop a big deal?

If Rift went from 1 million to 950k, would that be a big deal?
    Comments like these make me facepalm so hard... You even go and show how stupid the argument is on your own post.
    5% is relative, like all percentages and as such, useless.

Bus with 20 people in it crashes and 1 dies. Is it a big deal? Sad but not that big of a deal. It's 5%.
    What if 5% of your countrys population was to die? World War II saw the death of 2,5% of world population or over 60 million in numbers. Big deal? Apparently by you it's meaningless.

What matters is the absolute amount. 500k players is a huge amount as is the money lost with them. There's no way around it. Additional players don't become worth less the more you have. That's a ridiculouss thought. 500k when going from 10m to 9,5 are pretty much just as important as going from 1m to 0,5m even tho the percentages are 5% vs 50%. Money matters.

Is it the death of WoW? Of course not. Will it change anything? Most likely. Guys with the suits don't like losses of any kind and they are pretty much bound to at least try to stop the bleeding. How does it effect us? Nobody knows.

I guess we can be certain now that WoW will never be above 11 million subscribers again. I mean, I can't think of any feature that could ramp up the subscribers and make people say "ok its time to go back to WoW". Not even the character remodels which is their strongest known card right now.
    But hey, I still can enjoy the game. And MoP has been the best expansion story-wise. I' ll keep playing at least until I get bored and unsubscribe again like I did back at the start of Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    even if you are generous and give swtor 500k subs, wow still has 18x that amount. So yea..chillax

Quote Originally Posted by Buru Diman View Post
    I guess we can be certain now that WoW will never be above 11 million subscribers again. I mean, I can't think of any feature that could ramp up the subscribers and make people say "ok its time to go back to WoW". Not even the character remodels which is their strongest known card right now.
    But hey, I still can enjoy the game. And MoP has been the best expansion story-wise. I' ll keep playing at least until I get bored and unsubscribe again like I did back at the start of Cataclysm.
    This is true.

You can read my post history, always said with making 10s = 25s raiding subs would drop because 25 man raiding guilds were the foundations of realm communities where 10man guilds add nothing and more tight knit groups. Yes 10 man raiding was good for certain players that wanted it but was bad for the game.

me and my friends quit because of the Daily quest Crap.

I don't think wow will die, but all expansion always start with something everyone hated, and then blizzard learns their lesson by the time the final patch comes out, then they fuck it up again when a new expansion comes out. So looking at history, I'll be back for the Garrosh Raid.
    Last edited by Kioshi; 2013-02-08 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimitzles View Post
    This is true.

You can read my post history, always said with making 10s = 25s raiding subs would drop because 25 man raiding guilds were the foundations of realm communities where 10man guilds add nothing and more tight knit groups. Yes 10 man raiding was good for certain players that wanted it but was bad for the game.
    that would make sense but only 2 million people raid WITH lfr included.

its like saying wow would die if it removed pvp.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    me and my friends quit because of the Daily quest Crap.

I don't think wow will die, but all expansion always start with something everyone hated, and then blizzard learns their lesson by the time the final patch comes out, then they fuck it up again when a new expansion comes out. So looking at history, I'll be back for the Garrosh Raid.
    My entire guild has unsubbed. I doubt it gets fixed until next expack. The reason people felt like they had nothing to do in Cata was because they kept us in Dragon Soul for a year... Get a clue Blizz. These optional daily quests can DIAF.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    Sure, it sucks, but in the big image of things in WOW, it's but a comma in the total amount of players and I don't think Blizzard is terribly fussed. Besides, declining subs at the end of a patch have pretty much been a trend since forever.
    Declining players at the end of a patch cycle shouldn't be unexpected, but something has shifted - from launch until the end of Wrath, any dips in numbers that occurred were offset by enough gains that each new expansion led to new total subscriber records...which hasn't happened since Cata began.

Still, I agree that I doubt Blizzard is terribly upset by the drop this quarter. If the drops continue and the expansion again ends with noticeably less players subscribed than when it started (like Cata dropping from 12 million to 9.1 in less than 2 years), Blizzard might want to consider being concerned.

As for me, I find the end of expansion subscriber numbers and the numbers following the subsequent expansion release to be far more interesting, barring any "holy shit, they lost how many?" type drops if they were to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread has so many gems of amusing hyperbole (on both sides).

/giggle

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    What do you think they increase will be when 5.2 drops and by many accounts one of the better raids is released?
    what the F? these are by 31st december. at that point, maybe 20 guilds have cleared HC sha? the sub loss had most likely VERY little to do with raids and more just with general burnout of of the daily grind

The problem is the game has became to simple... I personally like something more challenging and get board playing easily. BC was still the best expansion by far. Today they just like to release the newest stuff as fast as possible rather than making it harder to get to the end game content. It shouldnt be for everyone, if your not skilled enough to get there you obviously dont belong. Long gone are the days were playing your class are over... Now blizz is all about money so they made it open to everyone... but rest assure now that the subscriber base is down, expect to see a new pet or mount come out.