Page 1 of 3
LastLast

My new PC build, Should I start buying?

Hey guys,

So here is my soon-to-be final decision,

I wanted a PC that could run any game in the market with max settings, because I want to play, Battlefield 3, Crysis 3 and other future games at Ultra setting, without having any problems.

So I have few questions for you guys,

1- How the sound cards really going to affect the sound, am I going to hear so much difference?
    2- What kind of monitors is best for FPS games? That reduces ghosting and slow motions? Is my monitor in the safe side?
    3- Some of you might say that i don't need the i7 processor since I will not need it for gaming. And I want to say that I'm not going to use the i7 only for gaming, I'm planning to do some video editing in the future.
    4- Should I buy additional Case fan for the Cooler Master HAF?
    4- My budget is around 2000$, how do I build a great PC?

Here is the rig that I've just made, what do you think? Should I go for it, or there are some things I must consider?
    Thanks in advance.

PCPartPicker part list:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.76 Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.99 Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 Mac Connection)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.98 Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($515.98 SuperBiiz)
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar D1 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($89.00 Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor ($179.99 Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Lite-On SK-1788/BS Wired Standard Keyboard ($13.98 Newegg)
    Total: $1869.54
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-07 20:40 EST-0500)

A GTX 680 is good for around 40FPS in Crysis 3 at ultra settings 1920x1080.

The sound card only makes a difference if you have something of high quality to output the sound (speakers/headphones).

For very fast FPS games like Quake Live a 120Hz TN monitor is the best choice, for most other games a quality IPS monitor would be a better experience.

You are spending a lot of money on things that hardly make a difference when it comes to gaming performance. You could probably fit 7970 crossfire within your budget if you wanted to, or you could save a couple of hundred bucks.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    A GTX 680 is good for around 40FPS in Crysis 3 at ultra settings 1920x1080.

The sound card only makes a difference if you have something of high quality to output the sound (speakers/headphones).

For very fast FPS games like Quake Live a 120Hz TN monitor is the best choice, for most other games a quality IPS monitor would be a better experience.

You are spending a lot of money on things that hardly make a difference when it comes to gaming performance. You could probably fit 7970 crossfire within your budget if you wanted to, or you could save a couple of hundred bucks.
    Thanks n0cturnal for your help,

So what do you suggest my build should look like? Is it possible that you show me a build of your preference? (Build one for me!)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssius92 View Post
    Hey guys,

I wanted a PC that could run any game in the market with max settings, because I want to play, Battlefield 3, Crysis 3 and other future games at Ultra setting, without having any problems.

1- How the sound cards really going to affect the sound, am I going to hear so much difference?
    2- What kind of monitors is best for FPS games? That reduces ghosting and slow motions? Is my monitor in the safe side?
    3- Some of you might say that i don't need the i7 processor since I will not need it for gaming. And I want to say that I'm not going to use the i7 only for gaming, I'm planning to do some video editing in the future.

Here is the rig that I've just made, what do you think? Should I go for it, or there are some things I must consider?
    Thanks in advance.

PCPartPicker part list:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.76 Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 Microcenter)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 Mac Connection)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.98 Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($515.98 SuperBiiz)
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar D1 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($89.00 Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor ($179.99 Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Lite-On SK-1788/BS Wired Standard Keyboard ($13.98 Newegg)
    Total: $1869.54
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-07 20:40 EST-0500)
    Overall I would say it looks good, but I can tell you that unless you have a real HiFi audio setup with a reciever and proper speakers that supoorts DTS and/or Dolby Digital, you won't really hear a difference. The onboard audio is pretty good, these days, and more than enough for most people's tastes.

As for monitor, I'm not too sure, but I think an IPS panel would be recommended. From what I've heard they're awesome for gaming when it concerns response times and viewing angles.

And if you're going to use multithreaded applications (i.e. things other than games), then go for an i7, by all means.

Hey guys,

-snip
    1. Motherboards feature onboard sound that is actually not bad. However, if you are going to be playing FPS style games where you need positional sound(ie footsteps in relation to where the enemy is) then I would recommend a sound card. HOWEVER, a sound card will only go so far without a good set of headphones to compliment them. I'm not talking some $50 logitech headset at walmart either.

Here is a link that will detail the differences between onboard sound and a dedicated card.
    I always refer people to this link in regards to audio.

2. For FPS games, the ideal choice is a 120 Hz TN panel with low latency. However those are somewhat costly. Your choice should honestly be just fine.

3. Even with "some" video editing, most people will recommend against an i7 over an i5. Keep in mind, the there is a difference in some video editing as a hobby and professional video editing. Not only that, but the performance difference between an i7 and i5 is not phenomenal either. However, it adds up quickly and is definitely justified in cases of professional video editing.

4. I'm not a fan of the HAF X, personally I think there are better cases out there for the cost. However it is still quite effective when it comes to cooling just with the stock fans. Adding more fans is not always the best solution to be honest, and additional fans means additional noise.

My suggestion, wait on additional fans. Build your rig, monitor temps and add/change fans later if you want.

5. For $2,000, including monitor and possibly sound card, I would make a few changes. I would recommend a larger SSD, 256GB to be exact. I would recommend against 16GB of ram unless you are doing some hardcore video editing then 8GB will suffice. You don't need that large of a power supply unless you plan on multiple graphics cards in the future. The keyboard, next to your mouse, are the most used items of your PC. With this kind of budget, you should honestly invest in better keyboard. I'm not saying high end mechanical, but definitely do not cheap out on it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 06:26 PM ----------

Odyssius92, these questions would allow for accurate help as far as build recommendations.

Do you need a sound card? (Read over my commentary on soundcards) If yes, do you need headphones?(Do research before buying, or we can suggest good gaming headphones)

Would you say you do light video editing or are you more of a hardcore hobbyist? This is to determine i7 over i5.

Do you plan on going SLI/Crossfire in the future? (Multiple graphics cards)

Do you plan on overclocking your CPU at all? If yes, then light overclocking or are you going for more extreme results?
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    1) It won't unless you are using high audiophile speakers your mobo comes with a standard digital 7.1 surround
    2) IPS aka in-plane switching monitors have the best gaming performance look for one with a 2ms response time. This http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...gamingsquid-20
    is an excellent gaming monitor.
    3) It's your montey if you want to blow it go ahead.
    4) if it is the HAF-x you have room for at least 2 more if you want I have it and a Noctua CPU cooler as well and I don't have any heating issues at all.
    5) Well, personally you have some overkill in your setup there is no need for that much ram, the video card is more than you really need, the 850 is more than you need as well. You are spending all this money and get a cheap piece of shit keyboard?

In regards to the HAF-X case this is how much open space I have in mine with 2 Black Edition 5850's in crossfire. Personally I suggest looking at the Corsair line of cases the 300r and the carbide are mid sized more than large enough for your needs and they are nice to work on.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2013-02-08 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Here is a bit of a revised build, with nicer keyboard, FPS mouse, 256GB SSD and a couple other little revisions.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.76 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.89 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($453.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K90 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M60 Wired Laser Mouse ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1841.47
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-07 21:30 EST-0500)

Mind you, the prices you have listed are considering you have a Microcenter near you.

Edit: The final price on the build I put together includes $75 off from MIRs.
    Last edited by Idrinkwhiterussians; 2013-02-08 at 02:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

OP is asking for a monitor to play FPS games. For FPS, a 120Hz TN panel with low response time is best. IPS is great otherwise for all other gaming. I definitely love my IPS, but I don't play a lot of FPS games.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

BruceG87

Your post is more than helpful, it made me reconsider things, much appreciated.

And the answer of your questions:

1- well, I think I need a sound card since I will be playing games that recommends surround sound. And yeah I need a headset but not sure which one i should buy and neither do I know which sound card I should buy.

2- actually I do light video editing, but I'm also planning to use 3D sketching, CAD programs for Engineering school.

3- yes I'm planing to get another card in the future for SLI.

4- Who doesn't?! Lol, I think I'm going to do some overclocking for as much as the CPU can handle. Keep in mind that I am also planning to get two more monitors 3 months later or so.

Thanks again for your help, can't believe how awesome you guys are!!

Idrinkwhiterussians, recommending an MMO keyboard when the OP mentioned interest in FPS? Besides, mechanical keyboards aren't for everyone.

Guess that's another question for Odyssius. Would he want a mechanical keyboard or a traditional rubber dome keyboard?

EDIT - Ignore games recommendation for sound. Your motherboard's onboard sound is quite sufficient. However if you want footstep ques in FPS then you will want a dedicated card. Again, that's your call.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    1) It won't unless you are using high audiophile speakers your mobo comes with a standard digital 7.1 surround
    2) IPS aka in-plane switching monitors have the best gaming performance look for one with a 2ms response time.
    is an excellent gaming monitor.
    3) It's your montey if you want to blow it go ahead.
    4) if it is the HAF-x you have room for at least 2 more if you want I have it and a Noctua CPU cooler as well and I don't have any heating issues at all.
    5) Well, personally you have some overkill in your setup there is no need for that much ram, the video card is more than you really need, the 850 is more than you need as well. You are spending all this money and get a cheap piece of shit keyboard?

In regards to the HAF-X case this is how much open space I have in mine with 2 Black Edition 5850's in crossfire. Personally I suggest looking at the Corsair line of cases the 300r and the carbide are mid sized more than large enough for your needs and they are nice to work on.
    Never thought anyone would notice the keyboard. It's temporary, until I find a decent one.
    Don't you think that the monitor you just linked is a bit slow (8m/s).

Thank you for your help Vidicatorx, really great great info!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    Idrinkwhiterussians, recommending an MMO keyboard when the OP mentioned interest in FPS? Besides, mechanical keyboards aren't for everyone.

Guess that's another question for Odyssius. Would he want a mechanical keyboard or a traditional rubber dome keyboard?

EDIT - Ignore games recommendation for sound. Your motherboard's onboard sound is quite sufficient. However if you want footstep ques in FPS then you will want a dedicated card. Again, that's your call.
    Yeah the Corsair FPS keyboard is this one
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair...rd-ch9000004na

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 09:58 PM ----------

1- well, I think I need a sound card since I will be playing games that recommends surround sound. And yeah I need a headset but not sure which one i should buy and neither do I know which sound card I should buy.

3- yes I'm planing to get another card in the future for SLI.
    You might think you do but I assure you, you don't. But, like I said though it's your money.
    If you are going to do SLI later you will have to go with the larger power Supply.

I own both a K90 and K60, don't hate. I love them both, but I'm using my K60 now as I found I didn't need the macro keys. I'm actually giving the K90 away to a friend here shortly.

Still the question remains, would the Odyssius want a mechanical keyboard? Like I said already, it's not for everyone. I don't have any links bookmarked in regards to comparisons between mechanical and traditional dome type. My google fu pulled up this on the first page.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is not necessarily just an MMO keyboard. It is basically the same thing as the K60, with macro keys and back lighting. I prefer both of those features to be with my keyboard. I just put it on as another option. (Also, I would really prefer a Filco Ninja, but hey, what can ya do?)

Also, I still have not gotten an answer about a Microcenter near OP...

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post

How is the Razer keyboard? I play, WoW, SCII, and DiabloIII by the way. LOL. I bet you guys are wondering how I'm still in college!
    Don't worry, I'm doing pretty well. In fact, the 2000$ came to me as a gift from my gov because of my performance in school!
    That's why I don't care where that money goes, as long as it makes me happy.

So, do you have in mind a specific monitor? for all these kind of games?

Thanks again!

The initial PSU he selected is more then sufficient for SLI/Crossfire. If it weren't for his desire to go SLI/Crossfire, I would have recommended something much smaller.

10+ Year Old Account
    From everything I have read mechanical is the best way to go in terms of gaming and such but I assume most of it is a personal preference. I still use my G15 Keyboard as it sits at the right angle I hate my other keyboard it feels flatter.
    The PS thing was for clarification as everyone has suggested smaller ones

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    It is not necessarily just an MMO keyboard. It is basically the same thing as the K60, with macro keys and back lighting. I prefer both of those features to be with my keyboard. I just put it on as another option. (Also, I would really prefer a Filco Ninja, but hey, what can ya do?)

Also, I still have not gotten an answer about a Microcenter near OP...
    Hey, Idrinkwhiterussians, sorry for the late reply, and thank you so much for helping me.

No, I don't have Microcenter near me, I will ordere these pieces online and they will ship as soon as possible, I estimated 70$ for the shipping. Not bad I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would stay away from Razer with all of the QC issues they have...

An overall monitor that I would get is:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Monitor: Dell U2312HM 23.0" Monitor ($245.41 @ Mac Connection)
    Total: $245.41
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-07 22:05 EST-0500)

Edit: As far as shipping is concerned... You have to be aware that customs can bite you in the (ahem) if you order directly from the states. Also, there would be import fees and everything. This could change depending on the country you are in. Websites in the states might not even ship to your country. Where are you?
    Last edited by Idrinkwhiterussians; 2013-02-08 at 03:08 AM.

I recommend against all razer products. Most forum lurkers here that offer assistance regularly will share the same opinion.

If you're not strictly playing FPS games, then you would probably want an IPS monitor. They provide amazing color and picture in comparison to a TN panel, while being as costly as a high end TN panel.

EDIT - No microcenter :<