Getting rankings?Rotation room for error?

Hi everyone. My goal as a raider is of course always to progress through content but another thing I always want to do is get ranks on fights.

I feel like I know my rotation very well but I always come up short of ranking on fights. I don't feel that it is a lack of gear but more of small errors that I mess up on, on my rotation. I feel like if im not ranking on fights that im not as skilled of a player.

I don't understand what some of the top 10 parsing people are doing differently then the ones in the 100s+. For Example on 25m Heroic feng the top parsing person dps is 169.4k and the 200th person dps is 132.8k. What could the top parsing person be doing to make a margin difference of 36.6k?

My other question is do you guys do your normal rotation for fights with adds with low health. Like on killing the orbs on elegon or killing adds on garajal?

Any tips on getting ranks on fights?
    Last edited by Ragequitter; 2013-02-08 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragequitter View Post
    I feel like I know my rotation very well but I always come up short of ranking on fights. I don't feel that it is a lack of gear but more of small errors that I mess up on, on my rotation. I feel like if im not ranking on fights that im not as skilled of a player.
    If you mean ranking at all I would assume you either overestimate your ability to execute the rotation properly or you overestimate your gear.
    Concerning the margin between those ranks it is important to consider that getting a 100-200 ranking for instance given the right amount of gear is currently still quite easy and very possible even while playing quite subpar .
    Getting a rank 1-10 though usually requires a lot more optimal play, a bit of help from good ol' rng and eventually tricks apart from the right gear of course.

Honestly as much as i want to rank i start to care less. for example we dont have bloodlust atm, which means i wont get ranked anyway. espacially during progression there are much more important things the personal dps. as long as no one fucks up the bosses die.
    and you can cheese fights like elegon a lot with fewer tanks/healers
    and just to note.. the combatlog is a simple textfile... not to say they get manipulated but it wouldnt exactly be hard i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kakihara View Post
    Honestly as much as i want to rank i start to care less. for example we dont have bloodlust atm, which means i wont get ranked anyway. espacially during progression there are much more important things the personal dps. as long as no one fucks up the bosses die.
    and you can cheese fights like elegon a lot with fewer tanks/healers
    and just to note.. the combatlog is a simple textfile... not to say they get manipulated but it wouldnt exactly be hard i guess.
    On fights that we are progressing on I just focus on making sure im doing all the mechanics correctly. But bosses that are on farm I like to try to rank on. Im always striving to be the best I can be, and what other way is there to show how good you are then getting ranking on fights?

Yeah sure i do this too. i even am the person in my raid that logs the fights, but my raid wont change raid composition so i can rank on wol
    its also not only a matter of your own dps.
    if the fights get shorter due to more raid dps ur cooldows have a higher % uptime. thus you are doing more dps.

Deleted
    I would say skill difference between rank 50 warrior and rank 1 warrior on logs is really small, rng and the way your guild kills bosses affects ranks most to be honest.
    And as it have been stated, your raid wide dps affects cooldown up-times alot.

EDIT:

On Garajal you must remember if you are not the one who logs fights you will have lower dps on logs if you enter spirit realm different times than the person logging.
    Last edited by mmoc653cdc43e9; 2013-02-08 at 06:30 AM.