Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Boomkin - Questing difficulties

This is my toon

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...C3%AA/advanced

I will always queue as resto and my gear progression will always be in that role.

But in order to do dailies I needed a dps spec and naturally balance was the daily spec.

But I feel it takes forever to kill a 590khp Golden Lotus mob and I am losing a lot of health while killing it.

So my questions are

a) Is my problem with dailies/quest mobs is because of my gear ?.I should also point out that I have always been feral till 90 as my leveling spec.I am choosing balance as my dps spec as I can share gear with my main resto spec.

b) Do you guys keep Boomkin as your daily spec ? or Feral ?

Thanks for your time

Deleted
    You have an awful main hand there. When you get a better weapon, your spellpower will increase a lot. However, as a fellow druid player, I find Balance very slow and lacking survivability. Your talent choices aren't very good either. Take Incarnation and Nature's Vigil asap and possibly swap faerie swarm with Typhoon.

Your best bet is to always start a fight in eclipse and pulling 4-5 mobs at once then popping the above cooldowns with Celestial Alignment and any dps trinket you have, cast starfall and moonfire the hell out of them using your Starsurge procs.

Also Renewal is kind of weak for Balance. The percentage it gives right now in Balance is almost the same health you would gain if a Nature's Swiftness Healing Touch had critted. So better take Nature's Swiftness and macro it with Healing Touch for an instant heal every 1 min. When using Nature's Vigil you will get some health back from your damage, so your survivability will increase as well.

Another thing that would help is to trade Mighty Bash with Ursol's Vortex. When killing AoE it helps to keep the mobs at bay for 3-4 seconds. Then Typhoon and back in they are!!!

I hope I helped you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boom was horrid for my dailies, I just went tank spec for instant hc queues and I would pull up to 8 mobs at a time for dailies.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Boom was horrid for my dailies, I just went tank spec for instant hc queues and I would pull up to 8 mobs at a time for dailies.
    Have to agree here, found it brutal on my boom spec but would flip over to guardian and just faceroll as many mobs as I wanted. Rarely if ever would I have an issue doing dailies and never once during leveling.

Balance tends to be a little 'weak' whilst undergeared. After i got my first raiding gear i would just multi dot every mob in the area and just shoot Starsurge procs whilst using vortex\typhoon to keep them away, and i'd destroy them. Some mobs took a little longer (some casters that pop a shield that i couldn't always interrupt). But yea, without much gear it can be a hassle. Just group up for dailies or try and get some better gear .

Haven't played Guardian yet, but a lot of people are saying that makes it easier, try it out

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Guardian or kitty feral is definitely the way to go at lesser gear levels imo, as others above have posted. Balance just feels weak overall for dailies so far in my experiences. I am main spec resto as well.
    *Minaah* lvl 120 / Resto & Balance Druid -- GM of Onslaught on Doomhammer-US, Horde

Deleted
    it gets much better when you start to get some more gear but in less gear yes then just use feral it will be quicker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah at your gear level the dailies are a pain as Balance. Been there, killed that.

BTW, on your mainhand... go queue for the Arena of Annihilation scenario. The quest there gives a 450 blue mace (http://www.wowdb.com/items/90461-jolgrums-frozen-mace) which will be an upgrade over that 429.

In fact, run some scenarios in a row (randoms). They have a good chance to drop 463 blue gear which will pop your gearing up a bit. With the 450 mace and a few upgrades you'll be eligible for MV LFR and that will lead to more gear if you're lucky.

Yuo CAN go feral, but the issue then is needing an entire other gear set.
    Last edited by clevin; 2013-02-08 at 07:23 PM.

Deleted
    Dailies are fast on balance with wild charge (for disengage), ursols vortex, typhoon and stampeding roar we have a ton of kiting skills.
    Or single target dps isn't great but we are known for multi dotting.
    So what you do is pull EVERYTHING at once. Multidot and kite.
    HS +HT macro and barkskin for when u do it wrong.
    incarnation and NV for when u want to stand and nuke (the healing from NV will keep u up and 8-10 mobs will be dead at the end).

Quote Originally Posted by vpywow View Post
    This is my toon

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...C3%AA/advanced

So my questions are

a) Is my problem with dailies/quest mobs is because of my gear ?.I should also point out that I have always been feral till 90 as my leveling spec.I am choosing balance as my dps spec as I can share gear with my main resto spec.

b) Do you guys keep Boomkin as your daily spec ? or Feral ?

Thanks for your time
    ad a) no - because the problem is you took talents that are weaker, but not demanding to "use" them (option for lazy players). To kill mobs faster, and with less health problems you should be using incarnation plus nature's vigil. You should pull more mobs and just multi dot them with eclipsed dot, then ss or starfire (NV will heal you thanks to that), you should also be using some crowd control, if you re getting too much dmg from them. in general you need to play more in boomkin, practice makes perfect.
    and yes - it will get much better with gear, but still you re better off with Inc+NV, in gear of 494 I lvl I am able to pull ten 700k hp mobs, and kill them with above mentioned CDs, and still finish with 75% of my HP easily. in I lvl 455-460 I was able to do that with up to 5 such mobs, and a bit more ccs.
    b) yes boomkin is perfectly fine for dailies. needs proper use , cos it s a ranged class, and I think you are probably making it harder for yourself - and not keeping at distance.

Most of the people in this thread don't have a clue what they're talking about. In MoP they drastically increased the health of mobs. Most are sitting at 500k health which is a LOT for a fresh 90. It'll take ages for you to kill them until you gear up but each new piece of gear you'll notice mobs die faster. For me for example the fatty goatsteak daily that everyone hates, I used to have to pull the mobs one at a time to kill them. Now I'm 494 ilevel and I typhoon a whole group (8 or so?) pop starfall, dot them all and kite and never drop below 50% health unless I get dazed and kill them all in about 15 seconds. It's just gear. You'll be in the same situation with feral and tank. The only difference is if you go guardian you can pull about 10 mobs and not die, but it'll still take you a while to kill them.

TLDR: Its your gear level that's the problem, not your talents or your spec. Follow the poster above and do arena scenario for a weapon and start running heroics to up your gear then to LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys... listen to yourselves... "Pop all your CDs, use every kiting talent you have and you can do it". Well, yeah. And when your CDs are on cooldown? I mean your advice is accurate... but you're having to tell someone to pull out the stops to do DAILIES. Think about that.

Too, kiting in some of the GL areas can be tricky as there are a lot of mobs around. Now, using this as practice for using CDs? Hell yes, I got in the habit of popping Starfall just because, even though I'd not needed it as I levelled. But his main issue is just DPS. At that gear level you're doing about 18-20k single target DPS. Divide that into 590k and you're taking 25+seconds to kill a mob. Take on a group if you can, yes, but if those mobs catch you and beat on you much you'll die fast. I've done it and lived and it's kind of fun, but still...

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I had no problems doing dailies. Throw rejuv on myself, dot everything under the sun, starsurge on proc, profit.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

in lower end items moonkin is pretty weak at dailys, Once you get some nice epics and are like 480+ or so you can multidot fuck loads of mobs and aoe them down just as fast as tank spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    Honestly, I had no problems doing dailies. Throw rejuv on myself, dot everything under the sun, starsurge on proc, profit.
    At 450? I call BS. You did not dot up 5+ 590k HP mobs and just kill them with SS. And a rejuv won't keep you up if the mobs start beating on you so you need to kite, have the room to do it and so forth.

I quested/did dailes as balance too - it's certainly doable. But it's slow at the start and while you CAN pull a lot of mobs you need to put in more effort to do that than a non-caster class or a caster class that has high dps at that gear level.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    At 450? I call BS. You did not dot up 5+ 590k HP mobs and just kill them with SS. And a rejuv won't keep you up if the mobs start beating on you so you need to kite, have the room to do it and so forth.

I quested/did dailes as balance too - it's certainly doable. But it's slow at the start and while you CAN pull a lot of mobs you need to put in more effort to do that than a non-caster class or a caster class that has high dps at that gear level.
    I did dailies with no problems on a PvP realm, at the beginning of the expansion, dealing with Horde on top of me at the same time.

Yes, you have to kite, yes, typhoon, yes, vortex, that's part of being a druid. At no point did I sit and think "God, dailies are hard as a balance druid."
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

for once i agree with sunfyre. i could see how if you're just standing there trying to tank mobs you're gonna have a bad time but it was very easy to kite 4-5 mobs and burn them down with starsurge at 450 ilvl. typhoon, vortex, and mushrooms are your friend.

sometimes when im bored i go out to Townlong Steppes and see how many of those yak people I can kite. You know that first quest hub when you get there? At 500 ilvl I can easily manage over 10.

kiting isn't as "faceroll" as some other classes that can just sit there and tank shit but once you get good at it the ability to kill 5 things all at pretty much the same time makes it just as fast as anyone else.
    Last edited by crunk; 2013-02-09 at 04:17 AM.

Also remember to keep cycling your starfall, that crap helps with dailies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi what i normally do is dot as many mobs as i can then trap them in an ursols vortex with a solarbeam and starfall while tab dotting and keeping my dots up and kiting when they get out of ursols just typhoon them back and they should be dead by then Use starsurge when it procs of course.

Also make use of displacer beast and your racial and use ns to heal yourself along with might of ursoc. Pretty easy when you get used to it.

Sometimes I have to fight 4-5 mobs and alliance attacking me at the same time so I got use to it.

I've tried almost every DPS spec in the game. Balance was, by far, the worst one for leveling, soloing and dailies. Stuff doesn't seem to die as quickly unless you keep using your cooldowns, and you have to use a lot more CC than other classes. It was frustrating me so much that I changed my druid to Guardian / Resto and never looked back.
    I really wish that Blizzard would take some actions to improve the boomkin soloing experience. I love the rotation, and would really like to be able to play it again without being so frustrated whenever I'm not in a dungeon/raid.
    Yak. Yak never changes.