Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lag problems I think its my internet but not really sure

Well for starters I would like to say that I play an online game called Tibia and I have an issue with some lag problems. I am pretty sure its my internet but here are my computer specs in case you guys think its a computer hardware issue.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    System Model M68MT-S2
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Graphics Card NVIDIA Geforce GT 520

The only thing I am really worried about when it comes to my hardware is I think my graphics card is a little crappy but I am not completely sure that is the reason why I am lagging.

The reason I think its my internet is because I have played on a 3mb download speed connection before and never had this kind of lag. Right now when I speed test my connection I am getting 20.70 Mbps download speed, 2.03 Mbps upload speed, 0% packet loss, 63 ms latency, and 1 ms jitter. Now my connection is currently being shared between 2 routers. I am not sure if that has something to do with the problem and if it does is there anyway I could fix it without having to remove the second router cause that's not really an option. Everything is wired there is no wireless at all between the routers and the modem.

Some of you might say well its because a lot of people are maybe using my internet at the same time but it still lags even when I am the only one using the internet. It is weird too cause some days I can go without having any lag but most of the time I do have slight lag every now and then I get random 4-5 second freezes while I am playing and its very annoying.

I appreciate any help or advice you might be able to give in advance and just let me know if there is more stuff you need me to post to try to help solve this issue.

Deleted
    Tibia long time no see ... ^^

Well, where do you live and on what server do you play ? Distance between server and homeregion can cause lag.

two routers ? why's that ? ever thought of powerline ? Ethernet through the electricity network.

Well I live in the USA and the server I play on is located in the USA. I have had slower connections and haven't had this lag issue before which is what makes me think its not a server distance issue. The reason I have two routers is because of how far the computers in my house are located away from the modem/router. I have tried running Ethernet wires throughout but its just too far for a wire to reach.

Btw its cool that someone else has heard of tibia it seems like every time I bring it up absolutely nobody knows what I am talking about.
    Last edited by Soren; 2013-02-08 at 08:50 AM.

Deleted
    it might be possible that your lag comes from the extended router system. try using a powerline kit to connect to the first router / modem.

this is powerline: http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-HomePlug...ords=powerline

you connect the first adapter to your router via ethernet cable and plug the adapter into the nearest power plug.
    you plug the second adapter to a powerplug near your computer and connect the adapter via ethernet to your pc.

if your house's electricity system is well connected you should get top speed without interference.
    if it doesn't work you can send it back to amazon ^^

Correct me if I am wrong but wont that make it wireless and I have 2 computers that are currently running off the second router so would I need to buy 2 seperate powerline things? Sorry about this but this is kind of confusing to me. ^^

Deleted
    if you buy 1 kit of powerline adapters, that includes actually 2 adapters ...

the other computers in your network may stay connected to the 2nd router, you do not have to unplug that one ^^

Well I ordered it so lets hope it works I have talked to a couple of my friends in-game though and they said that they have used them before and that it might actually make my connection slower.

Deleted
    well, depends on the electricity system in your house. if it doesn't work at first try different power plugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it possible its the Tibia servers? It looks like that game is (no offense) like 10 years old. If it's asking for XP SP2... Maybe they just have slow connections. Do you notice lag on any other games?

---------- Post added 2013-02-10 at 02:23 AM ----------

Also.. Is it "two routers" and literally having to bridge two connections? Or is the second router just acting as a hub? If it's not acting as a hub... you should just fix that. It may resolve the issue.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Well I don't think its the tibia servers just because I have played the game for many years now and have a lot of other friends who play and they dont seem to have the lag issues that I have. I am not saying that it's not the servers but I just don't think it is seeing how a lot of my friends don't lag like I do. To answer your question I don't play any other games either.

I am sorry but I am not sure what u mean when u ask are the connections bridged together. Could you please explain that a little further? I will be gone for a week or so but I will be back to see what you have to say. Thanks again for the help I guys I really appreciate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soren View Post
    I am sorry but I am not sure what u mean when u ask are the connections bridged together. Could you please explain that a little further?
    I'd ask the same. You say you have two routers. Can you explain better how they are hooked up?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Sorry been gone for a couple weeks but the modem goes into the first router then the 1st ethernet slot on the 1st router is then ran to the other router.

Why are you running 2 routers?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Is it possible its the Tibia servers? It looks like that game is (no offense) like 10 years old. If it's asking for XP SP2... Maybe they just have slow connections. Do you notice lag on any other games?

---------- Post added 2013-02-10 at 02:23 AM ----------

Also.. Is it "two routers" and literally having to bridge two connections? Or is the second router just acting as a hub? If it's not acting as a hub... you should just fix that. It may resolve the issue.
    It's actually 15 haha.

As far as I remember their servers used to be DDoS'd a lot. It may be it.

I have 2 routers because the first router and modem are really far away from the computers that me and my brother use and we don't have an ethernet cord that is long enough.

Yes the game is really old but I don't think its because its being DDoS'd because when I talk to my friends they don't have a problem with lag like I do. I sometimes lag all day long but then other times I don't have any lag throughout the day and only have the lag at night. Its like a weird little lag spike that I get every 10 seconds that lasts maybe only for a second but its just enough to kill me sometimes.

I have 2 routers because the first router and modem are really far away from the computers that me and my brother use and we don't have an ethernet cord that is long enough.

Yes the game is really old but I don't think its because its being DDoS'd because when I talk to my friends they don't have a problem with lag like I do. I sometimes lag all day long but then other times I don't have any lag throughout the day and only have the lag at night. Its like a weird little lag spike that I get every 10 seconds that lasts maybe only for a second but its just enough to kill me sometimes.
    You should be running an access point then and not 2 routers.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Could u explain to me what you mean by an access point?

An access point is a piece of hardware where you connect a wireless network to a wired one, just like you are using your second router now just that it doesn't have a router function. Most decent routers can be run as an access point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_access_point

Is there anyway you could explain to me how to set it up because that link as far as I can tell just describes what it is. I am sorry for all the questions and such I am just not the brightest when it comes to networking. By the way thanks for the help.

Is there anyway you could explain to me how to set it up because that link as far as I can tell just describes what it is. I am sorry for all the questions and such I am just not the brightest when it comes to networking. By the way thanks for the help.
    What router are you using? (the second one)