Poll: What type of tier do you prefer?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Which type of raid tier do you prefer?

We've had many different raid tiers, and I'm curious - what type of overall progression layout do players like most?
    Cataclysm for example had all three types, first we had 3 separate raids, then Firelands with (mostly) optional kill order, then (mostly) linear Dragon Soul.
    As for me, I prefer to have a single big raid with some options. Having multiple raids feels erratic somehow.
    Last edited by Thiron; 2013-02-08 at 10:21 AM.
    Old Gods made me do it.

Deleted
    Naxx/Ulduar/ICC

A single big raid with multiple wings in wich you can decide the order to clear.

I rather have a 12 boss raid with multiple wings then multiple smaller raids.

Deleted
    I want to venture deeper and deeper into the raid, all the way to the final boss. It adds to the feeling of progress. Single room raids or raids where you backtrack ruins everything for me.

A large single raid with an optional kill order. In my opinion, it makes it less monotonous when you can change up what boss you kill when.

Deleted
    Naxx and BWD were perfectly designed raids when it comes to boss accessibility. Awesome freedom on what order you want to kill bosses.

Multiple smaller raids, I like the change of environment. Also makes it easier to make farm runs while progressing in another instance.

I prefer Blizzard trying different things regularly, than sticking to a standard inflexible model.(a) I've enjoyed T11/T14 immensely so far with their multiple smaller raids. [T11: BoT/BwD/TotFW] [T14: MsV/HoF/ToES](b) I've enjoyed T8/T10 immensely with the large sprawling raids. [T8: Ulduar] [T10: ICC](c) What I found mostly lacking were the super SMALL raids like [T9: TotC], [T12: Firelands] and [T13: DS], albeit heroic Raggy was one of the most amazing encounters I've ever done.IMHO, these raids should've be closer to the concept of point (a), where there were 1 or 2 other smaller raids to help flesh out the entire tier.(d) I've also enjoyed certain one-off raid instances during/after certain tiers of content, such as Sartharion+Drakes or Malygos during T7, and Halion after T10.Ideally, Blizzard would rotate between (a) and (b), whilst throwing in a (d) every now and then, but totally stopping (c) from happening.Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    A large single raid with an optional kill order. In my opinion, it makes it less monotonous when you can change up what boss you kill when.
    It also means if you kill the hardest of the three optional kill order bosses first, you can piss off a lot of the top 100 guilds, by downing the boss before them, even if you don't have anywhere near as much time to set aside for raiding.

What does it matter? Blizzard knows best - except when they change it, with the express understanding that what they're doing is better then later come back and change it again with the express understanding that what they're doing is better repeat ad nauseam.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Ulduar or gtfo imo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    It also means if you kill the hardest of the three optional kill order bosses first, you can piss off a lot of the top 100 guilds, by downing the boss before them, even if you don't have anywhere near as much time to set aside for raiding.
    Imho it's only good someone else can get the world first. And last time I checked, races were about the tier endboss.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like a mix of straight and optional bosses. Think AQ40.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Naxx style, there's a reason so many people love the design - I've loved it since Naxx 40, it was the first time I saw a winged approach, before that I always enjoyed the fact you could "choose" in AQ20 and ZG and even AQ40 had optionals which were fun

To me, having a large raid with multiple options of how to clear it is nice.

HOWEVER.

The wings have to be different in looks, Ulduar does this the best by far, you start in a giant area, move into halls, and it's all nice and varied in colors aswell.

Naxx and ICC are also really good, but they do look a bit the same overall, although I feel like ICC is better because of the ramparts, Sindragosa's room and Lich King.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Imho it's only good someone else can get the world first. And last time I checked, races were about the tier endboss.
    When you go from raiding 4-5 hours 6 nights a week, to 2.5 hours 2 nights a week, sometimes it's nice to down the harder boss with less gear that the big mouths probably won't be able to get that week. Largely because due to sheer hours invested, you're probably not going to take down the end tier boss before a less skilled group that has more time to devote to smashing their heads against it. Something along the lines of "we'd trounce you, if not for our social lives/jobs".

Much prefer a linear progression single raid. I'm in a rather casual guild. We are all good players, however our time schedule limits our progression. As such having linear bosses means we can channel our time into a single goal. Having to split our time (a resource we don't have in abundance) makes life tough for us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually find linear progress very nice. I'm fine with not making some bosses mandatory to unlock the last boss, e.g. you didn't need to kill Nightbane to get to Malchezaar; you didn't need to kill Ignis to advance deeper into Ulduar.

Overall, I like the single raid tiers more. Multiple smaller raids aren't really my thing. I like things that are straightforward.

Firelands.

I prefer the single raid with optional kill order, like naxx or ulduar or ICC.

I prefer a larger raid that you can mostly choose the order you complete it in. Naxx, ICC, and Ulduar.