Deleted

Gun sound Addon against ToS?

I love the modified, silenced version of the gun sound, but it is illegal?

I couldn't find much information on this, except one guy who said in a thread 2 years ago that a GM told him it's against the ToS.

How many of you modify your gun sound? And is it a bannable offense? I would really like a blue statement on this.

Yes it's against the ToS because you are altering a file, so it is a bannable offense.

Deleted
    A shame.

The sound is 8 years old, and I'm sure alot of people hate it. Perhaps we should try to get them to change it then.

EDIT: seems like people have complained over this for years.
    Last edited by mmoc3e0efa8d7a; 2013-02-08 at 12:29 PM.

If you want a blue post on it I would try the official forums. Its probably against ToS but tbh its extremly unlikely you would get banned for it. I mean it would be a 0.0001% chance.

Perhaps we should try to get them to change it then.
    try to get them to change it then.
    get them to change it then.
    change it then.
    change it.
    Like hunter communit havent tried that for 7 years...

Deleted
    Do you change it by putting the sound file in a sub-folder of the Data folder, or do you need to modify any MPQs?

If the former, you're good. Any sound that you can override using the Data folder can be overridden intentionally.
    If the latter, you're out of luck. Modifying the game files is definitely against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreld View Post
    Yes it's against the ToS because you are altering a file, so it is a bannable offense.
    If you went into the MPQ file modified the sound, then yes that's bannable.

However you can replace sounds without modifying the MPQs.
    The gun sound is located:

Sound\\Item\\Weapons\\Gun\\GunFire01
    Sound\\Item\\Weapons\\Gun\\GunFire02
    Sound\\Item\\Weapons\\Gun\\GunFire03
    Sound\\Item\\Weapons\\GunFire01

If you create a folder called Sound in the Data folder, copy the above tree path and place your own sounds with the same name, the WoW client will use those over the ones in the MPQ. You aren't modifying the original file at all.

During classic it was possible to alter everything this way, including models, but that was patched and fixed in BC, Blizzard continued to allow sound edits to work this way though. They know about it and if they didn't approve it would of been fixed.

Here is a post by Nethaera:
    While we are currently allowing Add-Ons that remove or replace existing sound files, keep in mind that it is illegal to distribute copyrighted materials, in this case in-game music and audio files, without authorization.
    - Source Here

So, feel free to replace any sounds you want using the above method, and as long as you own the rights to whatever you replaced it with you can give it out to whoever you want.

I have been doing this since classic to mute the sounds that annoy me, which is currently around 2800. I put it up on curse during cata. You can find it here if you want it.
    Last edited by Kiingy; 2013-02-08 at 12:42 PM.

Deleted
    Well damn, that is fantastic, So I can fix the sound and still sleep at night knowing my account is safe, well allmost, I'll probably still be paranoid. lol

as long as you dont make a change that can effect server side actions your ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreld View Post
    Total ignorant bullshit. It is not "altering" any file at all.

Those sound adjustment "addons" aren't really addons. They just drop desired sound effect file into predetermined folder without changing any original file.
    And you know why it works? It works because Blizzard purposefully made that feature: game will look into predetermined override folders and play custom sound effect if there is one placed there, otherwise it just plays default sound.

Any GM claiming it is not legal is just generic copy / paste monkey who has no idea what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by haloa View Post
    Total ignorant bullshit. It is not "altering" any file at all.

Those sound adjustment "addons" aren't really addons. They just drop desired sound effect file into predetermined folder without changing any original file.
    And you know why it works? It works because Blizzard purposefully made that feature: game will look into predetermined override folders and play custom sound effect if there is one placed there, otherwise it just plays default sound.

Any GM claiming it is not legal is just generic copy / paste monkey who has no idea what he's talking about.
    that is all of them