Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    So many angry people here going "This is unimportant". Totally irrelevant, not to mention highly subjective.

RPer here, and while I can admit that it doesn't bother me too much (mainly because I almost never see cross-faction speech nowadays), I still think it's inconsistent with the rest of the game. It's true that WoW has a lot of comedy in it, but everything has been approperiately incorporated into the lore one way or another. But keeping the Pandaren speech like this? It's something that belongs in beta, not in the finished product. It just strengthens the perspective of the Pandaren being one big joke, when it's been clearly stated that they're not.
    Maybe Pandarens use a very guttural and animalistic language. So to an outsider it sounds like the same phrase being repeated over and over again. The problem isn't with the game. The problem is with how certain people perceive MoP to only be one thing only and never able to be anything other then childish. But part of being an adult is to know when to act childish and to know when not to.

Pandaria is hardly one big joke. If it is then all of WoW is one big joke because it exhibits no more joke worthy material then the rest of the game.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    and the forsaken cant speak common and cant understand it (although they did in alpha vanilla)

the gilneans have a diff language when it never seemed like it was the case for humans in general

the blood elves just forgot common

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    You can blame the people who perceive racism where it doesn't exist and overly sensitive people in modern societies, and so on for the language being what it is.

The pandaren language would be extremely close to chinese, and without actually directly translating your text to it accurately it would've had to be psuedo-chinese that just "looks" like it.
    That is just stupid. Just because Pandarens are Asian themed (or the panda is a Chinese thing) doesn't mean they would have to speak anything closely resembling Chinese. Besides it is clear that their language takes influence from certain real world cultures because of the naming conventions of NPC's and places in the game. Dwarves don't speak Scottish despite having a Scottish theme.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I'm on an RP realm albeit a fairly medium pop one, and have never seen anyone using their race chat for years.. so I certainly didn't know that this was the Pandaren language... I'm a bit perplexed, I mean I know all the other races languages are gibberish too, but this seems out of place... I can see the funny in it, but it still feels out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I also remember people saying they like the language as is.
    Many liked it... many also didn't. You know that. :P

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 06:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I don't blame them. Personally I find it amusing that is their racial language.
    I for one don't mind it either - but it did kinda smack of "lazyness" and was really oddly out of place compared to the other languages.

It wasn't a dealbreaker for me at all, but I totally understand why others may not like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Panda 1: "Oom Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom?"
    Panda 2: "Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom!"
    Panda 1: "NOM NOM NOM, nomnomnomn"
    Panda 2: "Ooooom nom nom nom"

This, is by far one of the most annoying things currently in wow for me. To anyone whos not an rper they probably don't care much, but as an rper, seeing this joke played on by blizzard with there racial language barrier, if any perpetuation of what is childish about pandaren was ever present, its this it.

It feels like when any other race is talking in there racial language, that the the devs put some thought into it, tauren, troll, draenei, forsaken, seemed like they made the effort. This however, when trying to rp with someone, its worse then having someone coming to troll your event, because its consider a legitimate language?
    Blizzard's treatment of the pandas pisses me off. I ultimately caved and race swapped to panda because the panda guys basically have my personality, but I hate how... Disney the whole race (and entire expansion for the most part) feels compared to everything else. The only other races that come close are goblins and gnomes.

Would it have killed them to avoid copying Kung Fu Panda with the panda NPCs and stuff? :/
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    the gilneans have a diff language when it never seemed like it was the case for humans in general
    Only one NPC. Worgen still only speak Common, or did last I checked.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Would it have killed them to avoid copying Kung Fu Panda with the panda NPCs and stuff? :/
    Pandaren and the idea's for their culture predate the move Kung Fu panda. Kung Fu panda was released in 2008, and the Pandaren were originally going to be released in 2007. Just because they are a fun loving peace loving culture doesn't make them Disney let alone why is Disney bad in the first place? Avengers is Disney, Iron man is Disney, all the latest Marvel movies are Disney. A lot of the classic Disney movies deal with orphanage after someone is murdered (Bambi, Fox and the Hound) and two of the darkest are Black Hole and The Black Cauldron.

Why is Disney an Insult again? If you are going to insult and hate on the expansion at least do it with a little bit of validity.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-02-09 at 09:57 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's called humor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Pandaren and the idea's for their culture predate the move Kung Fu panda. Kung Fu panda was released in 2008, and the Pandaren were originally going to be released in 2007. Just because they are a fun loving peace loving culture doesn't make them Disney let alone why is Disney bad in the first place? Avengers is Disney, Iron man is Disney, all the latest Marvel movies are Disney. A lot of the classic Disney movies deal with orphanage after someone is murdered (Bambi, Fox and the Hound) and two of the darkest are Black Hole and The Black Cauldron.

Why is Disney an Insult again? If you are going to insult and hate on the expansion at least do it with a little bit of validity.
    Besides, the sha don't exist, the mantid don't exist, the mogu don't exist, Garrosh isn't murdering people left and right, the conflict isn't turning a whole continent into a warzone...

All MoP is about is cooking stuff for fat pandas. Srsly. So childish.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is just stupid. Just because Pandarens are Asian themed (or the panda is a Chinese thing) doesn't mean they would have to speak anything closely resembling Chinese. Besides it is clear that their language takes influence from certain real world cultures because of the naming conventions of NPC's and places in the game. Dwarves don't speak Scottish despite having a Scottish theme.
    Song of Liu Lang is in Chinese. Therefore Pandaren speak Chinese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pandaren and the idea's for their culture predate the move Kung Fu panda.
    And, yet, there are very obvious parallels between the two, and the fully fleshed out Pandaren in MoP are predated by Kung Fu Panda. Chen Stormstout in War3 (the only Pandaren NPC of any significance) was goofy, but he wasn't straight up cartoony.

No, panda males were made to have several obvious parallels to Kung Fu Panda. Hell, the entire MoP expansion is a lot more family-friendly than WotLK or Cataclysm ever were.

Because it's incongruous with the rest of Warcraft. Warcraft has moments of levity but it's ultimately a somewhat serious setting.

MoP has reversed this, making it mostly levity with moments of seriousness.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    And, yet, there are very obvious parallels between the two, and the fully fleshed out Pandaren in MoP are predated by Kung Fu Panda. Chen Stormstout in War3 (the only Pandaren NPC of any significance) was goofy, but he wasn't straight up cartoony.

No, panda males were made to have several obvious parallels to Kung Fu Panda. Hell, the entire MoP expansion is a lot more family-friendly than WotLK or Cataclysm ever were.
    Did you ever consider its just so deeply rooted stereotypes, or that Kung Fu Panda was inspired by the Pandaran, which makes the two so similar?
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Gnome Mages, Blood Elf Warriors, Worgen/Goblin DKs.... the list goes on.
    Wait sorry what? Gnomes shouldn't be mages!?!?Belfs shouldn't be warriors? WTF? God you people are just ridiculous. We knew about NE mages since Vanilla, Undead hunters.......Fucking Nathanos Blightcaller...... Champion of the forsaken.....http://www.wowwiki.com/Nathanos_Blightcaller. Learn something today newbs.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    Did you ever consider its just so deeply rooted stereotypes, or that Kung Fu Panda was inspired by the Pandaran, which makes the two so similar?
    Considering Kung Fu Panda predates MoP Pandaren? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Would you have prefer it to be CHIN CHONG BING BONG?
    Oooh yes! Sounds awesome!

Maybe Pandarens use a very guttural and animalistic language. So to an outsider it sounds like the same phrase being repeated over and over again. The problem isn't with the game. The problem is with how certain people perceive MoP to only be one thing only and never able to be anything other then childish. But part of being an adult is to know when to act childish and to know when not to.

Pandaria is hardly one big joke. If it is then all of WoW is one big joke because it exhibits no more joke worthy material then the rest of the game.
    Which is exactly my point. The Pandaren speech doesn't exactly promote this however.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

10+ Year Old Account

For the same reason that if you want to insult an English teacher, you say 'English is a Mickey Mouse subject'.

And while Pandaren predate Kung Fu panda, they were concieved of as a joke. I haven't taken the Panda-related crap in this expansion very seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Song of Liu Lang is in Chinese. Therefore Pandaren speak Chinese.
    It's not in Chinese. It's just a random old and forgotten language they cooked up. It's not current-day Pandaren speak anyway.

And to the people saying Pandaren are too Disney, I hate to disagree. Disney movies by reputation are much much darker if you take a step back and look at them - it's one of their main plot devices.

This is one of the stupidest complaints I have ever seen.