Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help my guilds Restro Shaman

Armory Link us.battle.net/wow/en/character/icecrown/Ldyseanna/advanced

Might be cached as dps atm.

WOL Gara'Jal kill: worldoflogs.com/reports/pyupda08axviflkk/dashboard/?s=6156&e=6441

WOL Elegon attempt: worldoflogs.com/reports/l97s8a6vhr39oorb/dashboard/?s=2384&e=2930

From memory i know her restoration gear score is ~ 488. I think she should be able to put out much better numbers.

If there are any things that pop out as obvious; thats what im looking for mainly. Please keep discussion focused towards class/spec development.

Thank you for your time.

Apologies as I can not yet put links in my posts.

Deleted
    Hard to tell when she isn't in Restoration Gear on the armory. However from just a quick look in the logs I get the feeling that she is using GHW way too much for her iLvL. Me in 511 gear doesn't even use it that much. Healing Wave should be casted instead and GHW when the players drop low, otherwise you will oom.

Also I noticed that she doesn't use Riptide at all, 0 times in the Garajal log and only 3 times on Elagon. Riptide should always be kept roling on the tank/s.

EDIT: Also noticed that she is using the Water Shield glyph which basically gimps your mana on almost every encounter that you will see in this game.
    Last edited by mmoc451d590d06; 2013-02-08 at 04:23 PM.

Deleted
    About his talents I'd suggest Primal Elementalist as his last talent. The 10% extra healing you get from your elementals is really great for every fight. It also works very well with the glyphs I'm about to recommend:

- Glyph of totemic recall (recall your healing stream totem after its last tick and get all the 14.5k mana back. Also works with fire/earth elemental and restores a lot of mana)
    - Glyph of healing wave (healing wave is awesome and should be used as much as possible, without risking deaths in the raid. The glyph adds some nice extra healing)
    - Glyph of telluric currents (probably the best choice because the shaman isn't that well geared another way to regen mana is always a good thing)
    His current glyphs are really bad and make no sense to be honest.

This playstyle requires alot him to manage his totems well, and it can be a bit tricky for someone who isn't used to it. But once you get it right, it's gonna increase his HPS big time.

Quote Originally Posted by fneelis View Post
    Hard to tell when she isn't in Restoration Gear on the armory. However from just a quick look in the logs I get the feeling that she is using GHW way too much for her iLvL. Me in 511 gear doesn't even use it that much. Healing Wave should be casted instead and GHW when the players drop low, otherwise you will oom.

Also I noticed that she doesn't use Riptide at all, 0 times in the Garajal log and only 3 times on Elagon. Riptide should always be kept roling on the tank/s.

EDIT: Also noticed that she is using the Water Shield glyph which basically gimps your mana on almost every encounter that you will see in this game.
    Except for Will, Empress, Heroic Elite Protectors, Garalon.. or any fight with constant damage that procs your water shield off ICD
    Envy <Exodus>

Shaman
    Paladin
    Priest
    Monk

It's a little concerning she didn't use riptide at all on Garj'al and barely at all on the other fights. Riptide is one of our main spells and gives us the tidal wave(s) buff to decrease the casting time of GHW/HW & healing surge's crit percent...this means she's hard casting GHW every time she's using it which is a huge no-no. Chain heal also procs tidal waves.

She could definitely be using healing stream totem a lot more. It's usually in the top 3 for my healing most fights...That should be dropped on CD and recalled with the Totemic Recall glyph. Find a good totem tracking addon for this...it will take some time for her to train herself to watch the durations and hit that recall ability with maybe 2 seconds left, but it shouldn't be any different than getting used to using riptide pretty much on CD. I would also suggest using Totemic Restoration in the 3rd tier of the talent tree.

Also be sure she is (almost) always using unleash life before laying down Healing Rain. HUGE boost to HR.

What raid frames/UI is she using? Does she click target players to heal them or is she using clique or hover over macros? I really like ElvUI for healing, it's clean and easy to use/configure. It updates fairly often, however, and if you don't keep it up to date, weird things start happening to your action bars! :P

Deleted
    Like fneelis have said to, She doesn't use riptide. That is the Resto shamans Utility, since it lowers the cast time of you next 2 Healing waves or Greater Healing waves or it increases the Crit chance of healing surge by 30%. Its called Tidal Waves.
    Best way is to use a Buff indicator on her raid frames to see if its up on a target.

Its basically:
    1. Earth Shield on tank.
    2. Riptide on tank.
    3. Healing Surge if target low and more damage is incoming.
    4. Greater Healing Wave if target is low on HP but no imminent danger of dying.
    5. Healing Wave if target is on 70% on higher.

Also she needs to use Healing Stream Totem on cooldown. Since it can heal for a truck load and is a smart heal. Also if she uses HST she will see that she doesn't need to use Chain heal that much. Since its not really the go to spell for AoE healing in a 10-man setting. She can still use it of course, but be sure it hits 3 targets, if not, don't use it.

The only talent i would change is Totemic Restoration to Call of the Elements, since it allows you to use each totem 2 times, given it doesn't have a cooldown higher then 3 mins. So she can use Healing Stream Totem 2 times right after each other. But is also allows her to reset the cooldown on Windwalk totem, which is usefull for the trash that petrifies you after Spirit Kings.

As for Glyph's:
    Glyph of Water Shield is only useful if you get hit every 20 seconds or so. If not, then it has a Negative effect on mana regeneration.
    Glyph of Healing Stream Totem, this is very useful. Every heal it does on a target it leaves a buff that reduces Fire/Frost and Nature damage by 10%. That means less damage which equals less heals. This is actually the only glyph i'd recommend.
    All other glyph's are just for your own flavor.

As for stats in a 10 man with 2 healers i'd say: Spirit 8k up to 12k unbuffed(if high on spirit an intellect flask can be used) > Haste to 871(Even if you reforge all haste away you will go over it, so don't really bother with it. This is for en extra healing tick of her HoT's > Crit to 15% unbuffed(this is to increase mana regeneration for single target heals) > Mastery

Quote Originally Posted by Gasmastarn View Post
    About his talents I'd suggest Primal Elementalist as his last talent. The 10% extra healing you get from your elementals is really great for every fight. It also works very well with the glyphs I'm about to recommend:

- Glyph of healing wave (healing wave is awesome and should be used as much as possible, without risking deaths in the raid. The glyph adds some nice extra healing)
    - Glyph of telluric currents (probably the best choice because the shaman isn't that well geared another way to regen mana is always a good thing)
    His current glyphs are really bad and make no sense to be honest.

This playstyle requires alot him to manage his totems well, and it can be a bit tricky for someone who isn't used to it. But once you get it right, it's gonna increase his HPS big time.
    both of those are horrible we are trying to help this shaman not hurt him

Deleted
    Just to add couple of things.

Tell her to read this blog: http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=3508
    Vixsin is giving a very good advice for shamans.

Also i suppose some of the gear in the armory right now is resto (even if she logged out as elemental - when she use other reforge & gems as a resto then just ignore the following text ). So:
    Pure Int gems are a huge no-no for resto!
    For yellow use: Misty Wild Jade or Zen Wild Jade
    For blue use: Sparkling River's Heart
    For red i would use: Purified Imperial Amethyst

Enchant Gloves - Superior Mastery is a better choice for the gloves.
    Enchant Boots - Pandaren's Step for the boots.

10+ Year Old Account
    A problem we encounter for under preforming raiders was bad user interfaces for one.

Use addons to help you keep track of cd's. Personally I use Power Aura classic to monitor the many cd's shamans have.

Using a quality healing addon helps a lot as well. I am a huge fan of Vuhdo. The addon is clean, customizable and shows many things you want to know IE mana/Hots.

Talents:
    Totemic relocation is great for moving spirit link around to get the normalizing effect on both the melee and ranged group. Unleash elements for single target/Primal elemental for AOE heals (dont forget to activate ability on your ele)

Glyph choices are horrible.

Major
    MUST HAVE:
    Healing Wave

Optional:
    Healing Stream, TC,
    Water shield - on fights with lots of aoe damange/or damage hitting ur healer, Riptide glyph if you are a baddy and can't keep 3 up at a time

Minor
    chain heal - if 10 and on fights that are spread out greatly ie garalon.

Rotation:
    **ON CD Unleash elements, Healing Stream,

LB if you don't need to heal/TC Glyph

Earth shield on tank
    Keep 3 riptides up- 2 on tanks
    Healing wave spam for low damage phases
    Healing surge for emergency's
    GHW to save people

AOE
    Chain Heal on Riptide target
    Healing rain on groups when applicable

CD's:
    Coordinate via Voip chat who is using cd's when and dont sit on them all the time. They are short cd's use them.

Ascendance + Spirit walkers grace
    Get the most out of it by having 3 riptides up + healing rain before you use it. Cast chain heal on riptide target. Refresh healing rain with instacast.

Spirit Link Totem:
    Make a macro or addon to announce when its used to group to get its full effect. Script it to say USE YOUR LOCK CANDY or somethign like that too.

Healing Tide Totem:
    Use in rotation or as oshit button with other heals.

ManaTide:
    If heals is having mana problems- be sure not to stack to much spirit. More mastery is always a good plan. Don't horde manatides use it on cd when it makes sense.

Elementals if talented + Buff channel use on CD
    Advise using a macro

^might be a bit rough but I think I get my point across - Typing this on phone

Added Icyviens link
    Last edited by Megalithe; 2013-02-08 at 10:33 PM. Reason: http://www.icy-veins.com/restoration-shaman-wow-pve-healing-guide

Deleted
    Major
    MUST HAVE:
    Healing Wave
    I wont say that this is a must have glyph. Since if your item level becomes higher the use of Healing Wave decreases and Greater Healing Wave increases. Has been so for some time now. Also Blizzard said many times that at the start of raiding in a new expansion they want mana to mean more. So that at the end of an Expansion you actually "feel" stronger.

Of course since the Intellect and Spirit and mana change with 5.0 this still needs to be confirmed if it holds up, but since i see it already happening, I think i can be fairly sure of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Envvyy View Post
    Except for Will, Empress, Heroic Elite Protectors, Garalon.. or any fight with constant damage that procs your water shield off ICD
    Actually you are wrong the only fights worth using it is Amber-Shaper, Grand Empress and Stone Guard. And in all of those cases it's very minor.

Will is definitely not worth it since it doesn't proc from the gas damage. Heroic Elite is discussable but in most cases it ends up giving marginally the same mana so it's just a waste of a glyph spot. On Garalon it's not worth it at all.

Suprised someone from Exodus doesn't know their stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc451d590d06; 2013-02-08 at 11:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shammypie View Post
    both of those are horrible we are trying to help this shaman not hurt him
    You're very wrong. Also, what glyphs would you suggest?

10+ Year Old Account
    What glyphs you choice depend on your play style really. Other then healing wave glyph all of the other choices weight heavily on your style of play. Using riptide and using HST on CD will increase the heals a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotie View Post
    What glyphs you choice depend on your play style really.
    Yeah, but my playstyle dishes out more healing, so why not embrace it?

10+ Year Old Account
    what other glyph helps directly with heals? Riptide to me is pointless seeing how it takes away from the direct heal it gives. And cleanse is a stupid one to take because of the mana cost right now which isnt smart with his ilvl

Deleted
    Glyph of Totemic Recall is actually a HPS loss since you should be running with Primal Elemantalist with the Glyph of Fire Elemental Totem. And since you have high uptime on your Elementals you will just remove them by using Totemic Recall. Other glyphs to increase HPS is Healing Wave and then there is a 3rd optional one depending on fight and how well geared you are. If you are in 510+ gear you can easily skip Telluric Currents and go with Healing Stream Totem(which doesn't boost HPS but is really useful on some fights).

But it all depends on what gear you are running, in lower gear you will probably want to use Totemic Recall, however once you decide to start using Primal Elementalist Totemic Recall glyph is not worth it at all since it is being counter productive.

Healing Wave is kind of a terrible glyph and I would not recommend this one as "mandatory." Most of the time when I use it, it does less than 3% of my overall healing. 20% of a healing wave is crap, if you get a HW off for 50k, you're only receiving a 10k heal, which is less than 1 tick of a healing stream. And that's if you, the shaman, aren't at full life.

One glyph I ALWAYS have equipped is Totemic Recall. Telluric Currents is another I use quite often, except on fights where there's not much opportunity to stop healing and get some LBs off.

For the third, I'll put the water shield glyph in there on fights where I'm being attacked(obviously). Fights where I'm not really being attacked, I usually throw healing wave up there, even though I'm not a fan of it, but the other options are very situational. I don't use healing stream totem glyph because our other healer is also a resto shaman and always has that glyph in.

I've tried using the riptide glyph on various occasions, but I just find it causes bad habits. You'll find yourself blanketing the raid in it and wasting your TW buffs...plus it's a huge mana drain and you lose the initial heal(which I've seen crit for 90k on a low tank target). I don't find riptide worth it, honestly. You can have riptide rolling on 3 people at any given time w/o the glyph anyway. It seems like more of a nerf to riptide than anything...

15+ Year Old Account
    Healing Wave glyph IS a mandatory for 10man heroic raiding. 25mans are a totally different thing. I wouldn't listen to shamans who have basically 0 heroic kills in this tier and shout "riptide glyph, totemic recall glyph!!". Those two are borderline shit and completely situational.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Well I'm 10/16 HM progression and never use riptide glyph and healing wave glyph for me isn't mandatory but is USUALLY my "3rd glyph option".

I don't get why you're so gung ho over the healing wave glyph being "mandatory", it's sort of useful since it doesn't come with any negative consequences like some glyphs do, but I wouldn't say it's mandatory.

15+ Year Old Account
    The point is, that out of all the glyphs resto shammies have at their disposal, Healing Wave and Telluric Currents are the only ones that are ALWAYS useful, in use and don't have any negative consequences. That's what makes them mandatory. The other glyphs are just useless, bad or very situational.... you can use them in the 3rd glyph slot depending on the fight anyway.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.