Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ElvenArcher View Post
    WHAT

EVER.

4 expansions and 90% of new content gets finished in a month, followed by 3-4 months of grinding static bosses which have no effect on the world itself and offer no sense of danger to the player.

WHAT.

EVER.

People like you probably defended tape casettes because CDs and DVDs meant re-buying all your collection.

WHAT.

EVER!!
    The only people clearing that content in a month on regular basis are progression guilds and hardcore guilds. They also test the raids on the PTR for months so when it goes live they have had 1-2 months of experience in it. Most guilds get raids on farm before the next raid comes out. If they are lucky enough or good enough they clear heroics/HMs before the next raid comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    But none of this is Blizzard's fault, blame Activisition for the terrible game design, they made Call of Duty, a game that has used the same engine for 4-5 years.
    It's funny. Games like CoD and WoW get so much hate and rage and talk about how terrible they are. By the people that keep playing them. I watch a guy's youtube channel that shows him playing Black Ops 2 daily. And in every video he rages. "THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS! FIX UR FUCKING GAME!" over and over, every video. But he's still playing the shit out of it. Reminds me alot of wow players.

Typical WoW player on the forums-"FIX UR FUCKING GAME BLIZZARD!!! THIS GAME IS SHIT!"
    Same WoW player on the forums bitching about how bad the game sucks-"WTF BLIZZ! FIX UR FUCKIN SERVERS! I'VE BEEN TRYING TO LOG ON THE PAST 6 HOURS!"

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    Except it isn't innovative at all.

I believe OP was talking about new, innovative things to gaming and the genre in general. You know... sort of like they pulled out in the initial release and following expansion, and not so much afterwards. If you can name one new, innovative thing they added in the past 2 expansions (MoP, Cata) you deserve a cookie. I'm talking actual gameplay wise, and not system mechanics, because be honest, there really isn't. The last thing worth even honorable mention is the implementation of heroic mode raids (WotLK), and that was really just the next step up from heroic dungeons already added in BC. Vehicles and phasing added in wrath might honestly be the only real one since BC, and those ones had very mixed results. (Phasing while more a system change had huge implications on gameplay as well, LFR, LFD, and CRZ are system changes with minimal changes to gameplay and quite a bit of negative feedback.)

I pretty much agree with OP. While his presentation is a bit lackluster, pretending he doesn't have a point just because of such is ignorant. It's quite clear to anyone involved with WoW over the years that they have not only produced less and less innovative content, but they have slowly made things easier, clearer, and more open... which isn't completely a good thing.
    Following that idea, WoW Vanilla did absolutely nothing new. It was just a broader version of Diablo 2 - have character, raise levels, acquire gear, go kill bosses in dungeons to get better gear. In terms of your portrayal of "innovation" WoW was just an increase in scale of Battlenet Diablo 2.

WoW is a constantly expanding and growing game incorporating new features as it ages. What exactly are you asking for when you want something "new and innovative"? It still has to resemble WoW and considering how much is included in the game already, I don't see how you could expect something new that isn't already based off of or inspired by something already existing.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    Following that idea, WoW Vanilla did absolutely nothing new. It was just a broader version of Diablo 2 - have character, raise levels, acquire gear, go kill bosses in dungeons to get better gear. In terms of your portrayal of "innovation" WoW was just an increase in scale of Battlenet Diablo 2.

WoW is a constantly expanding and growing game incorporating new features as it ages. What exactly are you asking for when you want something "new and innovative"? It still has to resemble WoW and considering how much is included in the game already, I don't see how you could expect something new that isn't already based off of or inspired by something already existing.
    A hint for future arguments, don't make up a rebuttal to an imaginary argument just because you didn't fully grasp what you are responding to.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    Except it's not the same at all. If I were to add Toast to my menu at my restaurant it is nothing innovative at all going by the second definition because Toast, and adding it to menus are not new ideas in the slightest. It is however innovative by the first definition taken in an extremely narrow view because it is new to the menu if nothing else, and the definition does just say 'Introduction of something new' and not where, how, why, when it is introduced or to be viewed.

See? In my mind introducing toast is nothing innovative, I can get that down the street, at my own home, most anywhere. Toast is nothing new and exciting because it's already been around. Now if I were to make garlic and beef fat infused focaccia and pan sear the sides to make toast... that might be something fairly innovative, because no one in the nearest 400 miles of me makes anything like that, so to my audience/customers, it is something new and innovative. Adding farmville and pokemon to your game, when your audience is gamers who have most likely played, heard about, or already made judgements about is nothing innovative. They need to bring something new and surprising (aka: Innovative) if they want to stop leaking subs. Pretending nothing new can be innovated though is ridiculous, just look at Rift Events, Secret World investigative and covert quests, TERA's combat system, Guild Wars balancing system, etc, etc. Each of these new games that are coming out are adding at least one thing new and innovative as a selling point. WoW is going with a different strategy of copying successful things from other companies and selling it as their own. It's underhanded, cheap, lazy, and apparently fairly profitable.
    It's usually in madness that we find the truth. While OP seems to have lost his mind, his general ideas and argument are pretty clear: move away from static PVE and make it more living world and engaging, to the point where your actions have an effect on the world, like in GW2 and Firefall and other new MMOs. They're not perfect, but at least they're trying.

I for one would agree with this, because Warcraft deserves more than daily quest hubs. Much more. If Blizzard had any kind of self-respect they'd outsource the development for WoW to ArenaNet/Red5, split the profits from hereon and move on to their Titan project.

Alas, the gaming business has not reached a Renaissance where such ideas would be considered anymore than madness and "you're a troll". That's the word for everything these days.
    Last edited by ragnarokvr1; 2013-02-09 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    Activision has succeeded in convincing a majority of players of the following lie: daily quests are fun, and daily quests count at 'content'. Its a brilliant strategy on their part, convince the masses that doing the exact same thing you did from 1-90 (questing) is THE fun thing to do at level cap. Rather than have to produce new (expensive) content, they simply tell us to go run in a circle for a couple months doing dailies.

Yes they still produce raids. However unlike the past, current raids no longer provide months worth of content as they used to due to their extreme ease, so Blizz needed another avenue of cheap, repeatable content. Daily quests were the perfect solution. Just don't believe they are real content as Blizz wants you to, they are simply the cheapest, easiest solution to solve the dilemma Blizz created with their choice to simplify raiding.
    Im sorry daily quests have been around since TBC. Also if VP gear rep grind is the mandatory gearing path then I see why you are so unhappy. Try clearing heroic raids. If you can't then I think it's a personal problem and you are the one pulling the drapes over players face because of your playstyle choices.

I used rep vendors for a whopping 3 items. Huzzah! Then I killed the bosses and Sprint raced to full BIS with the grand charm idea. WHich is brilliant btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Just because you don't like Pandaria doesn't mean it's not new, creative, and exciting.
    Also, we aren't Blizzard.
    Well it's neither.

Deleted
    Bosses attacking cities I would like. In vanilla and tbc i remember something like that happened

I do like the idea of bosses taking over the major cities. Maybe every so often, maybe once within an event. Could be fun.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Id love to see less guards in the citys to encourage more faction raids. And im not talking just a little hour long raid and then go home, it would be awesome if there were a means to actually take over an enemy city, and the only way to get it back would be for the rest of the cities to group together and come to it's aid. That would force some server community

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    Id love to see less guards in the citys to encourage more faction raids. And im not talking just a little hour long raid and then go home, it would be awesome if there were a means to actually take over an enemy city, and the only way to get it back would be for the rest of the cities to group together and come to it's aid. That would force some server community
    This actually happened on Earthen Ring. The mega guild Alea Iacta Est were asked by the GMs to leave Stormwind or face disciplinary action.
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by zeekphreak View Post
    This actually happened on Earthen Ring. The mega guild Alea Iacta Est were asked by the GMs to leave Stormwind or face disciplinary action.
    sounds like something blizz would do

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. How can players playing true Warcraft be punished for it?

Blizzard deserves everything that's coming to them. Instead of building on this experience they utterly crushed it. Morons.

Complete and utter morons. No wonder wow is what it is today.

I don't like this expansion either, but its not for lack of content.

Honestly I feel like I have too much to do most of the time.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. How can players playing true Warcraft be punished for it?

Blizzard deserves everything that's coming to them. Instead of building on this experience they utterly crushed it. Morons.

The Entirety of Stormwind was nearly wiped out. No one was able to complete quests or use the bank/ah or vendors for several hours. Honestly at some point it had to of crossed the line into "greifing"
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

WoW what it is today is amazing, so I don't know what you are talking about kid.
    And if you want to insult Blizzard, why not email them?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

The Entirety of Stormwind was nearly wiped out. No one was able to complete quests or use the bank/ah or vendors for several hours. Honestly at some point it had to of crossed the line into "greifing"
    Warcraft 1, Gathered my army, invaded their base, killed their dudes. Victory.
    Warcraft 2, Gathered my army, invaded their base, killed their dudes. Victory.
    Warcraft 3, Gathered my army, invaded their base, killed their dudes. Victory.

WoW, Gathered my army, invaded their base, killed their dudes. Get Infracted.

I feel like at some point we may have lost the plot.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Losing 7-8 million players? So what?

Well I am sorry to tell you, Blizzard rather lose you than 7-8 million players.

See ya, have fun whatever you choose to do after WoW.

10+ Year Old Account

So you approve of an entire city being completely unusable by players because... of a bunch of opposite faction players wanting to sit their ass in there for prolongued periods claiming to have "taken" it?

Decimating a city and wiping out the opposite faction is fun, I've done that in the past too. But really, sitting your ass in there and turning the place unusable for players of all levels who just want to use their free time to have fun crosses into the realm of griefing. I'm glad that "WoW is what it is today" if that's your definition of "fun".

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Warcraft 1, Gathered my army, invaded their base, killed their dudes. Victory.
    Warcraft 2, Gathered my army, invaded their base, killed their dudes. Victory.
    Warcraft 3, Gathered my army, invaded their base, killed their dudes. Victory.

WoW, Gathered my army, invaded their base, killed their dudes. Get Infracted.

I feel like at some point we may have lost the plot.
    Warcraft 1; RTS.
    Warcraft 2; RTS.
    Warcraft 3: RTS.

WoW: MMORPG.

Yeah, we really did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

I kind of agree with the OP. Blizzard cries about how hard it is to create content when that content consists of goddamn daily hubs with some sprinkles of stories in between. They could easily capture an even larger share of the market if they put some of those useless devs into creating world events on a regular basis. No, got to make dailies cuz that shit passes for "content" now.