Protectors of the Endless heroic: Problem with adds

Hi,

right now we are progressing Protectors hc and I play affliction for this fight because of the glyphed Curse of Exhaustion. therefore I am on add duty, but I have some trouble with shard handling, as I am doing this together with our shadow priest.
    The big problem is that sometimes the adds simply jump from 40% HP down to 0% and that causes shard starvation, as I use CoEx and SB:CoEx for the adds when they continue to spawn faster, to bypass the 10 sec cooldown. When this happens, I cannot keep up with the slows and putting dots on them with SB:SS therefore I now start lacking with damage on them and the shadow priest gets more hectic as the adds move further with even more burst on them, leaving me again shard starved. And the circle continues.

Now to solve this problems, the spiky damage must be flattened, but even as I told in our tries about that problem the shadow continues to do that burst.
    As this doesn't work well, I am thinking of doing this solo but I am not so familiar with Affliction's burst damage and Demo/Destro lack severely behind in terms of a good slow.

To put in any math for this problem now, the adds spawn in intervalls of 15/10/7 seconds with 1,264,776 HP. In addition to that in that fight you have acess to a stacking debuff which grants 10% damage done per stack, but should not reach 10 stacks.
    So the DPS requirement before taking the debuff into action is:
    1st Wave: 84,318
    2nd Wave: 125,477
    3rd Wave: 180,682

Assuming no one needs to assist I would have 4 shards per add, and later on only 3 as I need one shard for SB:CoEx.
    How can I get now the biggest burst of those remaining shards?
    I think using one shard for SB:SS is mandatory even, if those dots will not last their full duration. Do I use the remaining shards now for Haunt spamming or is it more effective to use just one Haunt and after that MG/DS?

Or is this completely impossible to do alone and I should try to convince our Elemental to assist me with adds, that our shadow can simple nuke the boss, if she cannot control her burst?

In addition to that we tried it with our mage and shadow for the adds and I should simply nuke the boss, but it was a complete disaster. Over 50% of all adds reached the boss.

We have reached P3 a few times, but this phase simply shreds us as the raidwide damage is to high and the damage to the adds so sometimes so bursty that I have the feeling to start DS on them at about 50% HP, just to have a chance for getting shards.
    Last edited by Killem; 2013-02-08 at 05:39 PM.

Deleted
    I'm sorry what

EDIT; Post was empty lol, sorry.
    Last edited by mmoc184db2de30; 2013-02-08 at 11:49 PM.

I pretty much did the adds solo as Affliction after I got my initial stacks (went up to 3 or 4 first time). I actually didn't know SB: CoEX didn't have the same CD as regular glyphed CoEX, cool tip.

Don't be afraid to channel DS at like 30-40%, the adds will die from regular DoT damage. Have your Shadow just VT/Pain each add, you shouldn't more help really. Let's look at the DPS required again since you have to factor in stacks. I'm going to assume your stacks look like this: 3 stacks with all 3 bosses up, 6 stacks with 2 bosses up, 8 stacks with 1 boss up, the 15/10/7 second add intervals.

ADd HP: 1,264,776
    1st wave DPS: 84,318
    2nd wave DPS: 126,478
    3rd wave DPS: 180,682

1st wave adj. DPS (3 stacks): 64,680
    2nd wave adj. DPS (6 stacks): 79,049
    3rd wave adj. DPS (8 stacks): 100,379

It's not too bad of a DPS requirement to do adds solo, especially in the last phase where it's ok to let one hit occasionally if it means you catch yourself up to get the next few.

As for rotation this is what I did. The idea, like Will of the Emperor, is that you never want to waste shards, and Haunt does a lot more DPCT than MG.
    4 shards: CoEX, SB: SS, Haunt, one full MG, Haunt, Haunt, DS till dead.
    3 shards: CoEX, SB:SS, Haunt, MG, Haunt, DS till dead.

If you mess up on shards (it happens) - call for help. Good luck.

You shouldn't be the only one slowing and just use Drain Soul earlier if you risk missing out on shard replenishment.

Hi Im on add duty for protector HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Killem View Post
    Hi,

right now we are progressing Protectors hc and I play affliction for this fight because of the glyphed Curse of Exhaustion. therefore I am on add duty, but I have some trouble with shard handling, as I am doing this together with our shadow priest.
    The big problem is that sometimes the adds simply jump from 40% HP down to 0% and that causes shard starvation, as I use CoEx and SB:CoEx for the adds when they continue to spawn faster, to bypass the 10 sec cooldown. When this happens, I cannot keep up with the slows and putting dots on them with SB:SS therefore I now start lacking with damage on them and the shadow priest gets more hectic as the adds move further with even more burst on them, leaving me again shard starved. And the circle continues.
    If you ever fail a drain soul and end up shard starved. You have to ask somebody to help you kill the next one, and be sure to DS at like 30%. It<s a must since if you ever fail your drains you wont be able to fullfill your role.

Also when it comes to adds, you can do it solo up to the last protector. Thats what I do, I do almost everything solo during the first 2 protector kills and then ask our hunter to help me.

In order to do that I stack 6times straight at the start. I sometimes require a little help for the 2 first adds. After that with good placement I have no problems killing them and making people stack by myself (up until the last phase).

Now to solve this problems, the spiky damage must be flattened, but even as I told in our tries about that problem the shadow continues to do that burst.
    As this doesn't work well, I am thinking of doing this solo but I am not so familiar with Affliction's burst damage and Demo/Destro lack severely behind in terms of a good slow.

To put in any math for this problem now, the adds spawn in intervalls of 15/10/7 seconds with 1,264,776 HP. In addition to that in that fight you have acess to a stacking debuff which grants 10% damage done per stack, but should not reach 10 stacks.
    So the DPS requirement before taking the debuff into action is:
    1st Wave: 84,318
    2nd Wave: 125,477
    3rd Wave: 180,682

Assuming no one needs to assist I would have 4 shards per add, and later on only 3 as I need one shard for SB:CoEx.
    How can I get now the biggest burst of those remaining shards?
    I think using one shard for SB:SS is mandatory even, if those dots will not last their full duration. Do I use the remaining shards now for Haunt spamming or is it more effective to use just one Haunt and after that MG/DS?
    Here is what I do:
    I am placed outside the raid in order to be able to dps the adds in advance. On their paths when I need to stack and out of their path when I'm not. You must be at healer range of course

Add comes I do the following:
    Curse (very important to do first)
    SBSS
    Haunt
    MG Haunt (if needed) MG
    DS
    SB SS on boss with a macro (a few MG if time allows)

Repeat.

That's when range is stacking. If melee stacks I just SB SS first and then Curse to let the add get closer.

I do not spam Haunt but maybe I'll try next time. You have to never fail DS however.

I also stack 6 times straight. I wthink its required to do it solo (maybe 5 is ok). I refresh one stack at a time after that.

Or is this completely impossible to do alone and I should try to convince our Elemental to assist me with adds, that our shadow can simple nuke the boss, if she cannot control her burst?
    It's hard at the end but very easy to do most of the fight. You just have to get used to it and be used to the pace of the adds. At the end ask someone with a slow to help you. Also the hunts helps me to slow down (without dps) if I need some help.

In addition to that we tried it with our mage and shadow for the adds and I should simply nuke the boss, but it was a complete disaster. Over 50% of all adds reached the boss.
    They suck, 2 people are better than a single warlock unless they have no slow at all. But using 2 people make it so the fights is too long.

We have reached P3 a few times, but this phase simply shreds us as the raidwide damage is to high and the damage to the adds so sometimes so bursty that I have the feeling to start DS on them at about 50% HP, just to have a chance for getting shards.
    No more than 2 people are required for adds, you only need 2 shards per add so if you manage to DS at least once every two adds you're fine. And yes its harder but don't forget you can let pass 4 adds in the last phase.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2013-02-08 at 09:52 PM.

Deleted
    Dude you're totally overcomplicating the problem.. maybe it's because you've never played affliction before.
    Let me explain how to deal with the problem using our tactic as an example.

Shadow + me (affli) are on add killing duty.

Adds 1-3:
    Shadow and me get the first 3 debuffs. Since we don't have any dmg buff stacks yet, the shdwpriest burst shouldn't be a problem. Start draining at 20-30% to be safe.

Adds 4-6:
    2nd group gets those dmg debuffs. Shadow + me still at 3 stacks. No extreme burst to be expected. Start draining at 20-40%.

Adds 7-8:
    Melees get those 2 debuffs. Same procedure as before.

Adds 9-12
    Priest + me on debuff duty again. Now this is where it can start to get heavy. Slow the add and put SB:SS on it. Now start with Malefic Grasp and start draining Soul at 40-60%. My exact rotation is usually like that: CoE, SB:SS, Haunt, Malefic Grasp/Drain Soul. If the add is already down to 40-60% after my haunt hits it i directly start draining soul. Since you and your shadow already have a huge dmg increase your priest friend should have no problems whatsoever killing the adds with all your dots on it, even if you're just draining soul.

Adds 13-18
    Group 2 + 3 get those. Just do the same as mentioned above.

Adds 19+
    Now this is where we do something special. The arcane mage and me change priority targets. The adds die way too fast to properly drain soul and deal damage. So you will end up doing really low dmg, since you won't be able to maintain all dots on the boss while killing the adds fast enough.
    So what we do is: The hunter keeps his frost trap up all the time, so the adds will be slowed. I will use CoE whenever possible to slow the adds and our mage bursts down all the adds for the rest of the fight. You will do full dps on the protector and ignore the adds (unless there's an emergency). Your shadowpriest will be the backup DD in case your mage is struggeling with the adds.

The switch usually takes place when the 2nd boss dies. Then I pop all my CDs + Doomguard on the boss and the mage simply turns around and kills all the adds.

Hope this was helpful for you, since I experienced the exact same problem as you and the way we do it now was quite helpful.

sounds crazy, but I've done some pretty high add dps using this rotation:

> SB:SS
    > spam HAUNT
    > DS at last second to get shards
    > Rinse repeat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidewok View Post
    sounds crazy, but I've done some pretty high add dps using this rotation:

> SB:SS
    > spam HAUNT
    > DS at last second to get shards
    > Rinse repeat
    doesn't sound crazy at all. haunt is great for bursting. i even use it against bosses below 20% when i have enough shards and my dots are ticking longer than 8s.

Thanks for the advice, we killed the boss within 2 hours on the next day.
    Our way was letting me stack up to 6 and handle the adds almost alone, but call for assistance, if something went wrong (e.g. Lightning Prison).
    In the last phase I got assistance from our hunter, as our raid disagreed with changing roles of our mage and myself on the last protector. (I had the impression that only my slow was relevant in P3)

Here is the video of the kill, if you are interested, what I did wrong.
    It was a nightmare to play with a broken mouse. (For which I now finally have a replacement)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWCWZw2qZZs

Deleted
    I was progressing on this the other nite, but i can KO every add that spawns as Destro myself and just let everyone damage the boss, seems really easy when im the only one doing it to give stacks to others, Dat shadowburn sniping^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killem View Post
    Hi,

The big problem is that sometimes the adds simply jump from 40% HP down to 0% and that causes shard starvation,

TBH dont need to read more - start using DS at 45-50%.

Always try to find simple solutions.