Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Did you ever use a bot?

Early on... and we're talking vanilla.

I downloaded one. I only used it pre-barrens because I didn't find it very effective to level which was why I wanted it. I'm not sure what it was called. But basically you could map out paths for a given area, and if your toon encountered an enemy it would attack. I think you had like 5 abilities you could choose from, including loot. It would then find the preset path again, and continue on its course.

Worked really well for melee, and pretty terribly for casters.

Issues were that if the target got behind your character would pretty much just stand there and get beaten to death.

While I knew it probably wasn't the most 'ethical' thing to do. I didn't know at the time. I found out later thru a friend that it was a big no-no, I had already stopped at that point because of how inefficient it was.

It was never found out, or reported, to my knowledge. I was hacked at one point during BC... im quite certain this had something to do with it.

While this was a big no no. I can't say I'm all that sorry I used it. Because for the small amount of time I used it, it didn't have a negative impact on my community or the game. What it did do was teach me a good lesson, that I may not have learned otherwise, and it also made me very aware of what bot behavior looks like. Which i reported/report on a frequent basis.

Now, this was early on so blizzard's awareness or countermeasures may have changed. But given the fact that I still run into bots relatively frequently, don't you think that blizzard should be taking a more proactive approach to combatting botting, rather than waiting for someone to report them?

Deleted
    ive never used one ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't bot, but I met a former botter in a dungeon yesterday, he had his 5 90s banned becuase he botted, he told me he did it because this was the grindiest expansion yet, and he couldn't take it anymore

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have never used a bot. You pay for a game and then want to automate the playing of it with another program? That makes zero sense.

If you are too lazy to level, or gather your own materials or grind your honor then simply don't do it. Log off and do something that you actually find entertaining.

no i have not and reported every single one i ever encountered
    Including my guild leader who was botting in SM back in TBC. I have no respect for cheaters/botters or any other pieces of shit like them.

Never have, never will.

Yes, been botting since TBC. Started with the free AV crap bot and then I got HB lifetime. It's not that I am lazy, I just like to keep it on while I am doing something else or if I want to get fishing or archaeology pets & mounts without wasting hours on doing something I find boring. 0 bans, I am not one of those dumb guys that have bot on for 24 hours farming ores or have a simple combat profile in a BG that gets stuck. #YoloSwag

1 2 3, Thread deleted.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Lanthanum View Post
    I have never used a bot. You pay for a game and then want to automate the playing of it with another program? That makes zero sense.

If you are too lazy to level, or gather your own materials or grind your honor then simply don't do it. Log off and do something that you actually find entertaining.
    It's the exact same mentality that fuels those mobile games that have in-app purchases. You could earn the secondary currency that's used to buy all of the nice items (smurf berries, life points, doughnuts, etc.) or you can get it now without working or needing to wait by spending real money.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. It gives me a profound sense of pride to look at my character and see all that I've achieved knowing that I have never resorted to bots, bug exploits or even gear ninjaing to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    Nope. It gives me a profound sense of pride to look at my character and see all that I've achieved knowing that I have never resorted to bots, bug exploits or even gear ninjaing to get there.
    Couldn't agree more I may not have every achievement point available, I may not have everything in game at all, but what I do have I earned with my own 2 hands so to speak But most importantly all that I earned I had fun doing it, which I think is the biggest bonus. So many people seem to feel they need to do stuff they don't enjoy, and I never really get that.

So nope! no bots for me, pretty much takes away the point of the game if I used something to automate everything

10+ Year Old Account
    Never really considered it.

I remember using the B spec or whatever it was in GT4 (the option to sim races) and quickly realized that I was basically running my PS2 for no reason other than to get that magical 100% completion. I wasn't playing it, I wasn't enjoying it, I just wanted to complete it for the sake of completing it. Once I realized it was a massive waste of time I quit trying to complete it all and just did what I found fun.

No bots, but I did buy gold once (1k) in Vanilla.

Bought adena by the buttload in Lineage II too, but after the first time in WoW I finally realized I was hardcore pissing money away and stopped.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never used a bot, and can't say that I ever will.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did the HWL grind solo in Vanilla without a bot. In TBC, I got tired of that shit so I built a physical bot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not attach a poll to this thread?

This thread will only go one way, its a circlejerk of people being as righteous as they can about not using a bot - Anyone who does admit that they use a bot (unlikely) will be swarmed. A couple will throw in anecdotes about using a bot in the distant past like the OP. What is the point of this thread?

Anyhow in the interest of contributing rather than just pointing out how pointless I think this thread is:

Yep. I like the finer things in life, both on and off WoW - having a bot allows me to do both.

Never used one...
    But,
    As a fresh 90 when everyone was fully geared I wanted to, even tried to find a decent yet cheap bot.
    Pretty crap to farm honor atm.

Deleted
    Nope never, and I never would botters should get banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Yes, been botting since TBC. Started with the free AV crap bot and then I got HB lifetime. It's not that I am lazy, I just like to keep it on while I am doing something else or if I want to get fishing or archaeology pets & mounts without wasting hours on doing something I find boring. 0 bans, I am not one of those dumb guys that have bot on for 24 hours farming ores or have a simple combat profile in a BG that gets stuck. #YoloSwag

1 2 3, Thread deleted.
    You are lazy else you'd not use a bot. Lazy and cheating.

Never, no reason to.