Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New Star Wars RPG from KotOR 2 makers

Obsidian, the studio that made KotOR are making a new Star Wars RPG.

Speaking with RockPaperShotgun, Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart said that the studio is lobbying to develop a new Star Wars game for LucasArts, now wholly owned by Disney. The game the studio is pitching wouldn't take place in the same time period as Knights of the Old Republic, though, as Urquhart views this as a bad pitch since The Old Republic didn't perform exceedingly well.

Instead, Obsidian wants to make an RPG that takes place between Episodes III and IV, when the Jedi are being purged and the Emperor is further securing his empire. Urquhart added that Obsidian designer and writer Chris Avellone, who has written several Star Wars comics as well as Knights of the Old Republic II, has, "[come] up with a really cool story."

The original pitch was made before the acquisition of Star Wars by Disney, and Urquhart plans on continuing to push the idea despite the transition. Will it ever see the light of day? Who knows. For more information about Obsidian, RPGs, the PC and more, you can check back with RockPaperShotgun in the coming days when they post a longer interview.
    Here's the link: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/0...source=twitter

If they actually finish this one, it should be good.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Well KOTOR 2 was ok but they did kinda royally mess it up by not finishing it.

Then again after the major letdown of SWTOR i really hope someone makes another KOTOR-like game.

well it wasnt really their fault they could not finish it. obsidian is one of the last great RPG makers.
    I'd love a new KOTOR created by them, if they were given the freedom and time they needed. but I doubt this project will happen at all.

I would love this

What'll you play as? A narrative told from the perspective of a Sith could be pretty interesting, I think- We've all seen the fall to the Dark Side, but we haven't seen so many in the other direction.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    If they finish it then hell yeah.

I generally enjoy Obsidian games so I'll keep track of this one.

I'm not a fan of the era they plan to set this in though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Me neither. What don't we know already about the entire Fall of Republic period? Zzzzzz... but it's Obsidian so I'll be there Day 1. That is of course if it happens at all since they're not working on anything yet really, just asking Disney whether the project could get greenlighted at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm overhyping myself already. Uh oh.

I'm not too hyped about this. I think that whole era of SW has been overdone...I prefer old republic or new republic era.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, that sounds like a good idea for a game.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I generally enjoy Obsidian games so I'll keep track of this one.

Well, pre-assimilation bioware le borg WAS my favorite RPG maker...
    I guess I'll have to turn to obsidian from now on.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Obsidian? and people complain about bioware.

KOTOR2 - great ideas buggy and broken game.

alpha protocol - great ideas, buggy and broken game

Fallout Vegas, great ideas , buggy as hell game.

dungeon siege 3 - shit and buggy.

I can see a pattern.....

Obsidian don't seem to employ any sort of QA department and that was BEFORE layoffs there, i really dont want to see how buggy any new releases will be, they have great ideas and some good ambition, however they can NEVER pull it off into a stable game.
    Last edited by mmoc00c6bd8f01; 2013-02-11 at 12:56 PM.

Deleted
    KOTOR 2 was even in its admittedly unfinished state better than 99+ % of PC games I ever played and had some of the best characters ever. That said, I don't see Disney giving the nod as a low-ish budget project could harm the Star Wars IP and their upcoming movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    KOTOR 2 was even in its admittedly unfinished state better than 99+ % of PC games I ever played and had some of the best characters ever. That said, I don't see Disney giving the nod as a low-ish budget project could harm the Star Wars IP and their upcoming movies.

^This! =)

Also, I loved Alpha Protocol despite its flaws. Its one of the few games I got 100% unlocked after playing through it 5 or 6 times.

I get the feeling Obsidian is overly ambitious and bites off more than they chew, then get sidelined by release dates. If they worked on Valve time, then I think they would make amazing titles.

Anyways, I'm hoping they get the greenlight. The timeline they want to set it in would be very interesting too, what with the Empire closing in around the remaining Jedi while Vader slaughters anyone remaining. I would love to see a plotline relating to the Jensaarai too.

Wasn't TOR supposed to be somewhat of a 'sequel' to KOTOR? So.. Would that mean we have a follow-up from TOR? I don't know..

Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    Wasn't TOR supposed to be somewhat of a 'sequel' to KOTOR? So.. Would that mean we have a follow-up from TOR? I don't know..
    Not at all, its just in the same era of star wars, thats all the old republic is.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Republic_era

Glad to hear they are making a new star wars rpg though. I just hope its not a mmorpg

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Not at all, its just in the same era of star wars, thats all the old republic is.
    Mmm... Idk.

You find out revan failed and as a jedi knight you take up the torch and complete his quest. (while, as a sith warrior, you learn that there is more to the emperor then his corporeal form) edit: meaning that you've only stalled him as a jedi knight
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-02-12 at 02:54 AM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    It is somehow a sequel, after all, it was in KOTOR 2 that we learned about the true Sith Empire's return and that Revan went to fight it. But how much of a sequel to KOTORs the game feels like depends a lot on class played. As a trooper, it had next to nothing to do with KOTOR 1/2 except for Flashpoints.