Comparing 11 vs 13 inch

Hi all,

A very simple question I'd like to ask:

I have an 11 and 13 inch macbook air with essentially identical specs on CPU (i5) and GPU (HD 4000). Given that the 13 inch will have the higher resolution because it has a bigger screen, would it be correct to assume that a game such as WoW will run at marginally better FPS on the 11 inch than on the 13 inch? Or is this just plain wrong and it would be same.

Thanks

the resolution has no relation to the size of the screen.
    the resolution could be exactly the same on both the 11" and the 13"

lower resolution is easier on graphic cards though

Does it really have a higher resolution? Bigger screen does not equal higher resolution.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Yes, games will run faster on lower resolution. But... Here's a big but...

I had a 12" laptop, not meant for gaming but a proper small light-weight work laptop. It's great for portability, but the screen size is way way too small for frequent gaming. You have to play with face on the screen squinting for hours in uncomfortable position. I would never buy a laptop meant mainly or exclusively for gaming smaller than 17" and even that is pushing it. And if you ever even think about doing something serious with the laptop like for example photo editing or spreadsheets, you'll forever curse the day you were stupid enough to buy a tiny screen laptop useless for work. Ultraportables are meant to be ultraportable, not ultra-usable.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Does it really have a higher resolution? Bigger screen does not equal higher resolution.
    Yeah, 11" has 1366x768 16:9 resolution, 13" is 1440x900 16:10.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-02-08 at 10:52 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Buy a 13 inch, bigger e-peen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viena View Post
    Hi all,

A very simple question I'd like to ask:

I have an 11 and 13 inch macbook air with essentially identical specs on CPU (i5) and GPU (HD 4000). Given that the 13 inch will have the higher resolution because it has a bigger screen, would it be correct to assume that a game such as WoW will run at marginally better FPS on the 11 inch than on the 13 inch? Or is this just plain wrong and it would be same.

Thanks
    airs + gaming = bad combo (unless you like really low settings/resolution even then raiding will be a PITA)

10+ Year Old Account
    The current Macbook Air (I don't know if you have a current or older model)

11" = 1366x768
    13" = 1440x900

The game will run MARGINALLY better on the 11". However they will both run like meh, since it's Intel HD graphics. You're basically choosing between "Ugh" and "Bleh"

Sorry, I should have quoted the screen proportions:

11 inch: 1366 x 768
    13 inch: 1440 x 900

both have same GPU, CPU...logical that both will have same FPS?

PS: e-peen = ?

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 11:56 PM ----------

Ok thanks

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 11:57 PM ----------

Ok thanks

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 11:58 PM ----------

e-peen = ?

11 inch: 1366 x 768
    13 inch: 1440 x 900

both have same GPU, CPU...logical that both will have same FPS?
    Bad logic there.

1440x900 has approximately 25% more pixels than 1366x768. Therefore 13" will run almost exactly 20% slower than the 11" model when both CPU and GPU are the same.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    2 inch!

/chars
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-02-10 at 01:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rene27906 View Post
    2 inch!

/chars
    one could also consider it overcompensating?

as for the OP, are you bound to ios? else ux32vd might be worth looking at for ultraportable with the possiblity of games.
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2013-02-08 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Bad logic there.

1440x900 has approximately 25% more pixels than 1366x768. Therefore 13" will run almost exactly 20% slower than the 11" model when both CPU and GPU are the same.
    Is it really just as simple as this? Can someone confirm this is definitely correct? Thanks!

Is it really just as simple as this? Can someone confirm this is definitely correct? Thanks!
    The numbers aren't exact since it depends on a bunch of factors but the general idea is correct yes and a fairly accurate estimation I would say.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

It's not exactly like that, but close enough. Various things like memory usage of textures affect it but those are impossible to estimate in advance and vary from game to game.

Big exception would be some crappy console port internally always rendering screen at 1280x720 size because that's the maximum Xbox360 outputs, and it's simply scaled to either 1366x768 or 1440x900. In that case it would run almost exactly as fast on both computers. Also emulators do this because old consoles ran at even lower resolutions. None of this applies to WoW though, and you will see around 15-20% drop in framerate on the 13" model vs 11" when all other hardware and software settings are the same.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    It's not exactly like that, but close enough. Various things like memory usage of textures affect it but those are impossible to estimate in advance and vary from game to game.

Big exception would be some crappy console port internally always rendering screen at 1280x720 size because that's the maximum Xbox360 outputs, and it's simply scaled to either 1366x768 or 1440x900. In that case it would run almost exactly as fast on both computers. Also emulators do this because old consoles ran at even lower resolutions. None of this applies to WoW though, and you will see around 15-20% drop in framerate on the 13" model vs 11" when all other hardware and software settings are the same.
    still it likely runs bad on both, the other is just 20% worse

I've cleared up some of the more questionable jokes about the topic at hand.
    We get it, "haha". But at least try to provide some constructive opinions while you're doing it, please.