Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Change Transparency rule in discussing moderation

I am suggesting a change to the rules in discussing situations that take place outside of our control. What would be the harm in exchanging information on WHATa person was in trouble with and the punishment. Is it truly hurting the system by discussing it among the posters. It's not as if we're putting anyone on blast though the freedom to discuss a punishment shouldn't be met with more punishment. Let those who want talk among each other about what situations they landed in.

Could it sincerely hurt?

Deleted
    It basically amounts to gossip though.It would be utterly non constructive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since it would very rapidly deteriorate into bashing of moderators (you should know about that having made an “I quit these forums” thread calling them Nazis before), yes, it could hurt.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause then there would be "X MODERATOR IS UNFAIR AND ARE X AND SUCH."

There's a good reason why Blizzard does it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by coldstrife View Post
    It basically amounts to gossip though.It would be utterly non constructive.
    You're assuming every single post is contrustive. It's an off topic section. It only needs to be off topic and interesting. It also relates to everyone. People without a doubt would be interested and lifting the dark drape on the background.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    You're assuming every single post is contrustive. It's an off topic section. It only needs to be off topic and interesting. It also relates to everyone. People without a doubt would be interested and lifting the dark drape on the background.
    You find people getting banned off a wow fansite interesting?

You find people getting banned off a wow fansite interesting?

I never said that. Why would you say I did.

Deleted
    People without a doubt would be interested and lifting the dark drape on the background.

It would have to include you or you wouldn't ask.

[/FONT]

It would have to include you or you wouldn't ask.

Banned and people interested in how a system works and function is two very separate things. Please do not twist my words. It would just be general interest in what took place. Not everyone is banned some just get infarcted for a few months.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you make an argument, normally people base it on their own opionions...because if you can't read minds, it's kind of stupid any other way.

Banned and people interested in how a system works and function is two very separate things. Please do not twist my words. It would just be general interest in what took place. Not everyone is banned some just get infarcted for a few months.
    Why you have to discuss rules and moderators actions? If you are not ok with one, pm the mod get it reversed or suck it. If you don't want to change the rules, you really don't need to discuss moderators actions.
    Or what exactly you want there? "Yes I was trolling in this topic and got infracted, and the moderator was right in his judgement!"
    Last edited by DieFichte; 2013-02-09 at 06:01 AM.

I honestly really don't think anyone needs to explain why this is a bad idea
    Are there really people that can't already figure it out?

15+ Year Old Account
    You're welcome to ask a question about how moderation works in public. There's no rule against that.

You're not welcome to discuss specific moderators / moderation actions in public, as there's no reason for it to be public. If you have a private question about your own infraction, you're welcome to ask one of the mods, supermods, or me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am suggesting a change to the rules in discussing situations that take place outside of our control. What would be the harm in exchanging information on WHATa person was in trouble with and the punishment. Is it truly hurting the system by discussing it among the posters. It's not as if we're putting anyone on blast though the freedom to discuss a punishment shouldn't be met with more punishment. Let those who want talk among each other about what situations they landed in.

Could it sincerely hurt?
    We have allowed these kinds of threads before provided they stay on track. Nothing about how the system works is supposed to be a secret, but it's hard to have discussion where it doesn't get sidetracked discussing particular posts or posters or moderators or moderator actions.

Check out this thread which has a lot of potentially useful information about how moderation works. Ultimately it got closed because it turned into the aforementioned direction of discussion that isn't allowed. But I think there are a lot of useful posts in that thread and people asked some good questions, and you mind find it has a lot of the transparency issues you're questioning addressed.

Also, I don't know how many people actually read the FAQ but the information regarding infractions, bans and appeals is pretty detailed.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I was once like you, then I took a job to my time.

Does it really matter? Like sincerely, to the point that we have to have discussions about it? Moderators are volunteers; let's not berate them publicly. Just trust Sunshine/Boub/whoever else will take action when mods act out of line. If they don't think action is necessary then action is probably not necessary, or, they've done something behind the scenes (talked with the mod, warned him) that doesn't need to become a public embarrassment for the community. Let's not make the moderators disgruntled at the community they're trying to run, even if some of them maybe act strangely at times (I can only really think of one or two).
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

They don't want you to discuss their actions because they're horrible mods. I got an infraction for nation bashing Americans as an American with a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bags- View Post
    They don't want you to discuss their actions because they're horrible mods. I got an infraction for nation bashing Americans as an American with a joke.
    Quoting Sunshine again:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    You're not welcome to discuss specific moderators / moderation actions in public, as there's no reason for it to be public. If you have a private question about your own infraction, you're welcome to ask one of the mods, supermods, or me.

Nothing to gain, much to lose. No.

In my humble point of view. A system that self polices itself is great. However when a situation comes up it's quickly removed from the public eye. Even banned for bringing it up to other posters with a harsh infraction on those who might dare break this policy. It separates and divides those who might feel frustrated and at times the people to contact regarding issues. May not always respond at all.

It's not about infraction. General Public interest in what other posters have been in trouble for. An experience mostly everyone can relate it and I strongly feel it would generate a massive debate constructive about possible feedback that would be supported by the majority. Expect often not able to get to that level. Instead to submit it personally to powers that be. Who could just not take interest even if it may be legit able possible.

It's not to bash anyone though personally. I'm sure mods speak among themselves about certain posters. An inner circle with a forum invisible to our eyes. They're able to discuss everything in detail. I'd just like that same option. But if not that's fine.

FusedMass needs to get laid. Surprise: most people don't really care about it, and the few who do will just breed a self-hating community. It'll spawn arguments based on the infractions, and assuming the infraction is even worthy of a discussion (which 99% of the time it won't be, as every shmuck who ever gets the red card will make a thread about it and demand reparations), all it'll do is restart whatever heated debate was happening that led to the infraction in the first place, as obviously some people will take the mod's side and others will take the poster's side. Then you'll have people who don't pay attention to anything at all chime in and give their opinion, to mods who basically judge day in and out the quality of posts and are pretty good at it (otherwise, contact Sunshine...)

There's really absolutely no benefit to it. Maybe one or two pros, but a mountain of cons.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-02-10 at 01:30 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags- View Post
    This is why it will never happen.

If they allowed it, lots of posts like the one above would happen. It would basically end up with a bunch of posters circle jerking over what mods they hate and why. The only thing I see coming from allowing it is a place to breed anger/mistrust about the mods and loads of unneeded drama.