Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    That logic applies to all gear really. "Statsticks" - relics, etc - were removed because they contributed nothing. They wasted time on designing them, and nobody ever saw them. The stats were mediocre at best, as opposed to trinkets and their effects, which are quite powerful. Lastly, all those relics were cluttering up loot tables unnecessarily. Furthermore, trinkets actually alters playstyle. Aligning your cooldowns with trinket procs, for example, and don't even get me started on how trinkets affect classes like affliction locks. Relics didn't do that at all.

But how far do you want to go? As I said, that logic goes for everything. Personally, trinkets are my favourite items in the game, right after weapons. When I got a new wand, I got one because that's a stat slot that needs filling. When I get a new headpiece, I'll notice a difference. When I equip my new trinket, it's awesome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    I don't see why trinkets weren't quickly removed along with relics. All they offer are passive stat bonuses that are always quickly mathed out in the end which gives no intuitive gameplay for the player.
    What? They're the only piece of gear that don't offer just passive stat bonuses.

Depending on your spec, they change up quite a lot. Demonology's rotation was changed up completely back in FL / DS due to MWC (I didn't like it, but that's neither here nor there), and affliction currently minmaxes mostly via maximising the use of procs, which trinkets contribute a great deal to.

They change up your gameplay more than any other item, they're interesting. Comparing them to relics is the most asinine argument thing I've read today.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2013-02-09 at 03:05 AM.

The only thing I don't like is that, after weapons, trinkets seem to be the most hotly argued drops. I see far more trinket arguments than, say, "But that would have been my 4 piece, that only gives you 3/4 so I need it more!" I hate the importance placed on trinkets, and use trinkets are actually kind of annoying. Proc trinkets are (often, but not always) equip, maybe reforge, then forget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenyatta View Post
    The only thing I don't like is that, after weapons, trinkets seem to be the most hotly argued drops. I see far more trinket arguments than, say, "But that would have been my 4 piece, that only gives you 3/4 so I need it more!" I hate the importance placed on trinkets, and use trinkets are actually kind of annoying. Proc trinkets are (often, but not always) equip, maybe reforge, then forget.
    On use trinkets I just macro with another ability. If its off cooldown, the trinket will go, if not, whatever. Just be sure to also script the macro to not give you an error message when the trinket is on cooldown.

Granted, there are some times when you want to save an on use trinket for a certain boss move (like using magic resistence on Zon'ozz) but it's still a handy way to turn an on use trinket into a pseudo-passive trinket.
    Putin khuliyo

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They got rid of old school relics because they wanted fewer items usable by only one class. It's never fun seeing things drop that no one can use, and getting rid of class specific items cut down on a lot of that.

imo they should bring the relic slot back and give it to all the classes. I liked having an extra stat item, its pretty much like having an additional neck or ring slot. I loved it. This time not as class specific! Just generalize them! I love getting gear and decking it all out with enchants and gems... Bring back head enchants too! .... give it too.... whatever the next profession is... or scribes...

10+ Year Old Account
    I will not be content until we get cod pieces. No, fried fish sticks from cooking don't count!

How else would I turn into an arakkoa? That is, if I still played >.>

(I realize it could be a non-consumable item like the iron-boot flask but still :B)
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    They got rid of old school relics because they wanted fewer items usable by only one class. It's never fun seeing things drop that no one can use, and getting rid of class specific items cut down on a lot of that.
    That was not a problem of "class-specific loot" as much as it was a problem with the looting system as a whole (which is still rather shitty).

Blizzard thinks that removing flavor for "improving" gameplay (ergo optimization) is a good thing.

Newflash: it's not. Especially when there have been ways to address one without removing the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Trinkets "should" give you the potential to have 2 slightly different but equal (at a give gear level) approaches to rotation, etc. In most cases this doen't happen, but oh well.

I don't see any benefit of removing them, it'd just be more of a dumb-down.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mainly do PVP and I love trinkets they can have some awesome effects like getting you out of a stun or giving you a momentary sidekick. The third weapon slot was a little silly, finger items although they do have stats we could actually do without. The amount of time I actually play doesnt give me enough time to get gems for my gear before the next set of gear comes out so gems arent really useful for me.

There should be more than two trinket slots. I'm all for getting rid of gems and enchants and replacing them with more trinket slots.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

I find they add more zest to your character, specifically when Trinket Procs are interesting.

For example: there was a trinket in the first tier of Cata called Fury of Angerforge.

It was BoE, and I had pined after it for so long.

Why?

Because it'd turn me into a badass Dragon Spawn while also boosting my strength by a ton.

Same thing goes with Deathbringer's Will.

Their nifty little effects keep me entertained, and Blizzard has done a good job at making their effects still interesting over the years for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

During Wrath, Relics were simmed out to which one gave the best class-specific effect, and you used that one, regardless if the itemlevel was higher or lower. It made older gear more valuable (at the raid tier level), when you used the relic from Naxx while running ToC, cause the effect was better than the Ulduar or ToC ones.

To remove that idea, they made them no different than a ranged weapon used by a Warrior/Rogue/Clothie, without the ranged attack part. They also made them (much like all of Wrath) not part of loot tables, but purchased. It was literally "Buy new relic at start of new tier, and forget about it til next tier". It wasn't something to look forward to, it was the first step (or the last, given the very small pool of stats they provided) in gearing up for a new raid tier, and it was nearly meaningless. So why keep it around? To give you a few more points, worth less than your bracers for that matter, to reforge with? Really? Come on now...

Frankly, happy to see em gone.

Trinkets on the other hand, you don't touch. That one linked on the first page of the "Chance on spell damage to make your next spell have +100% crit chance" is going to make a HUGE impact on Demo and Destro Locks. They each run a spell that auto crits and scales up damage with crit chance. That is a game-changer. Will mean alot more Chaos Bolts/Soul Fires thrown outside of Dark Soul/Molten Core procs.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

So I can have pretty invisible shinies hanging from my ear lobes! lol

No but seriously, trinkets at least bring something interesting to your character rather than just a bunch of stats all the time. I do miss the old relics, I remember collecting so many of them for use with different specs/talent set ups, I do like that it gave me back some bag space though!

Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    I don't see why trinkets weren't quickly removed along with relics. All they offer are passive stat bonuses that are always quickly mathed out in the end which gives no intuitive gameplay for the player.

I've always seen trinkets in this game as a burden rather than a fun asset. Whenever a new raid or patch comes out the first thing people look for are trinkets and find which one best suits their class and spec. If they don't do this then they get heckled by fellow guild mates or other potential guilds you are apping to. The most common situation I see was guilds asking players why they weren't taking the "DMF" trinkets because it was mathed out to be the best.

Sure we sometimes get those trinkets that provide cool aesthetics like Deathbring's Will, but soon after the cool factor just fades away and it goes back to just being a semi-passive stat bonus that we replace later on.

If we followed the same reasoning behind getting rid of relics, then trinkets should have gone with them. If we really want trinkets to stay in the game, then they need to be something that provides intuitive gameplay instead of just being a semi-passive stat bonuses that we replace every tier like we did with relics.
    Relics-Just sit there passively providing stats, NOTHING else.
    Trinkets-Sit there passively providing stats, AND add RNG via proc, or give a large on-demand boost to some stat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I find they add more zest to your character, specifically when Trinket Procs are interesting.

For example: there was a trinket in the first tier of Cata called Fury of Angerforge.

It was BoE, and I had pined after it for so long.

Why?

Because it'd turn me into a badass Dragon Spawn while also boosting my strength by a ton.

Same thing goes with Deathbringer's Will.

Their nifty little effects keep me entertained, and Blizzard has done a good job at making their effects still interesting over the years for me.
    In 5.2 there is a strength trinket that turns you into a Zandalari Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    In 5.2 there is a strength trinket that turns you into a Zandalari Warrior.
    I saw! SO PUMPED.

I also have the item that turns me into a Zandalari Warrior for 30 minutes.

AND my 2 piece summons a Zandalari Warrior to fight with me.

...Ya know with all this troll action going on for me next patch, my DK ain't even a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Relics were nothing like trinkets. Relics didn't have any on use versions. While trinkets, there's lots of fun trinkets out there. Off the top of my head, I still have the one that spawns a goblin nurse. Or one that spawns a tauren spirit. Who could forget the rainbow generator? In Pandaria, there were trinkets to throw vegetables at enemies. Overall, they are extremely useful, and aren't just passives. So they should remain in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Relics are nothing like trinkets. Trinkets bring some life to your rotation.
    actually before they were turned into raw stat sticks they were more or less a 3rd trinket.