Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephinit View Post
    Two words, down state. Ruined what could have been enjoyable pvp (for myself, i'm sure some like the terrible mechanic and all of its many flaws... perhaps yourself)
    Don't really appreciate you generalizing myself as someone who likes "anal spam and poop quests and butthurt jokes" (wtf is a butthurt joke? You just sound ignorant)
    Oh don't mind karizee he's got an obsession with bringing everything down to a discussion about world of warcraft and might well be paid to never say anything need negative of Gw2 as rabid a fan a you'll ever meet.

Dray may I ask you whether you had time to think about the essay I've written you in PM?

Funny twist though. I've been thinking about quitting for a couple of days now.
    - I don't like the PvP (not balanced at all)
    - I find PvE too easy (fotm 48 was a joke and the only thing that changes later on is maw always killing you)
    - Dailies are anoying but needed for biss gear
    - I dislike ascended gear

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been on nights and didn't want to do ita disservice while I'm cranky tired.
    Don't get me started on dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephinit View Post
    Two words, down state. Ruined what could have been enjoyable pvp (for myself, i'm sure some like the terrible mechanic and all of its many flaws... perhaps yourself)
    Don't really appreciate you generalizing myself as someone who likes "anal spam and poop quests and butthurt jokes" (wtf is a butthurt joke? You just sound ignorant)
    There is a ton wrong with PVP in GW2. Mindless PVP, simple builds, simple combat. It really is some of the most boring combat I have experienced in a long time. My builds in CoD are more interesting LOL. In regards to downed state, yes it is definately a bad mechanic for most PVPers. I suppose some casual PVP types might enjoy it, thinking it is a new concept. CoD learned long ago how annoying this mechanic was to most PVPers and have been minimizing its impact for several versions now, finally dropping it completely in BO2 in their core PVP game types.

I really wish the PVP in GW2 was interesting, that is why I bought the game. The WvWvW I thought would be better, rather than the zergtastic mess it is now. I knew structured PVP would be boring as the maps and gametypes are so limited. But WvWvW I initially had hope for. Alas after 2 weeks of boring PVE I finally had enough of GW2. I was afraid of hitting my head by falling asleep at the keyboard I found it so boring LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    Hello all the peps of the Guild wars 2 sub forum. I have officially quit WoW (since the release 5.2 note (deleted and sold, no going back now)) I have check something up about Guild wars 2 around the internet, and seem to love the Dynamic Level/Event but what I am worry about is.

1) How hard is it to level? (most free games are very hard after level 20)
    2) If I am not a PvPer what is there for me to do after I max level?
    3) Is there any Daily grind like WoW: MoP... aka Golden Crap Lotus (if this is a yes, just let me know now so I will not waste my time)
    4) Whats with the Gem shop? Saw a code for Gems at the local Wal-mart, does that mean there are power users?
    5) Will this game be a job like WoW? or will it be something that I can play to have fun?
    6) Any good looking armor? from the photos I seen, I'm not that impressed (I don't care if they are weak, just wanna look nice)
    7) Are areas dead like WoW?
    8) Friendly Community
    9) Ninja Looting?
    10) Gateing?
    1. At launch if you where going out and doing every zone fully and not going to "at level" zones it would take a while to level because the rewards for the down scaling where not properly balanced, but since early this month (or late last month, not sure since I just restarted) they rebalanced the down-scaling rewards so that each level takes about the same time regardless of where your doing DEs, I was level 58 doing level 15 DEs to work on map completion and I got a full level in about 45ish minutes though that speed is slightly askew due to xp from daily achievements making it faster then it would be had I already done the daily achievements.

2. Same stuff as while leveling, ranging from gathering/crafting, to doing minor DEs, to doing major DEs, to doing world bosses, to doing 5 man explorable dungeons. There are no instanced raids, but their are world bosses that take a lot of people to be able to defeat, and for those bosses wither there are 10 people fighting or 98 people fighting, the world bosses scale up in power/skills/health to accommodate the amount of people.

3. Yes and no... you can if you want to earn more and more skill points to spend on items to build legendary items, but really that's up to you, the only reason you have to grind the same content over and over is if your going for a very specfic looking peice of gear since its merely blue,green,orange,purple,red,etc quality and you can get equally as powerful gear from crafting, or random drop while killing monsters, then the gear you get from dungeons or world bosses, all required grinding is purely for vanity and not for power.

4. Since there are no sub fees its their micro transaction currency, which at first sounds like why bother not just using dollars... simple answer is due to the fact that you never have to spend a penny to purchase from the micro transaction shop, if you play enough and earn enough gold you can convert in game gold into Gems to buy say bank slots, bag slots, character slots, etc... you can also convert gems into gold but at a much lower rate, its their way of both dealing with having no sub fee and in game market inflation at the same time since. There is nothing in the cash shop that you will feel you need to buy to enjoy the game, its not offensive like some micro transaction shops where if you don't buy x your class is unplayable (IE no having to buy quickslot bars like SW:ToR when it went F2P)

5. It can be if you make it, but since gear is not tiered, if you deside you want to play a few weeks here and then take a break for a few months while you beat game ABC and come back, no worries your not behind in gear, you can still do any of the content that you want without worrying about having tier 3.5 gear when to do the newest content you need tier 4.0 gear

6. Subjective question is subjective... depends on your taste in "art" as to if there is good gear or not, but do realize look at the model of the gear and not the coloring as far as what you like because (most) all gear you can dye different colors, and once you unlock a color you can use that color on that character as many times on as many peices as you like... and since you can xmute the gear, if there is a piece of level 32 gear that you think looks awesome, you can still look like that at 80 if you want to without giving up stats.

7. That varies from server to server, but it seems a lot better then WoW, since like I said I was level 58 in a level 15 zone leveling just a quick as if I where in a level 59 zone, so even if say you have a friend who is level 80 and just grinding out xp to get that legendary skin for his longbow he/she can play with you in a level 23 zone, you can both be having fun playing with each other, with down-scaling he is close to the same power and survivability as you, yet he still earns as much xp as if he where in a level 80 zone

8. I am not sure on this one because I have so little time to play I generally just go out and play either by myself or with friends, don't deal much with the community.

9. No such thing, each dead monster has a seperate loot table per player and no one can steal anyone elses loot, on top of that there is no mob tagging, it doesn't matter who attacked first, as long as you did enough damage to a mob you get loot and xp. On top of that if your say level 58 playing a level 15 area, those level 15 mobs will drop gear as if they where level 58 mobs... the crafting mats they drop are mats from the level of the mob and not the player, but the gear is player level based.

10. Phased gathering nodes, much like no ninja looting, and no mob tagging, no one can steal your gathering node either, it takes a lot of work to reach 400 crafting, but its not outlandish either.

All in all its a good game, its not something I would play 5 days a week like many people play MMOs, but it is a game where I have gotten just as much enjoyment out of as any $60 single player game, and they keep adding new stuff to the game each month for free, so its well worth the purchase even if you only plan on playing for a few weeks now, waiting 3,4,5 months then coming back and playing a few weeks again... no sub fee+ no tiered gear+ as much fun content as many $60 single player games + monthly changing content= worth buying even if you want to treat it like a single player game and not like a MMO... funner with more people, but I mean time and money spent wise, not necisarily palying by ones self.

Deleted
    I just got this game since WoW is no longer worthy of a monthly subscription. I'd still play the hell out of it, but not worthy of a monthly sub. I can say I enjoy GW2 very much. What pisses me off is the lack of character slots, your inability to log on another server, and the lack of end-game content(though the game was just released. Can't really judge end-game for now).

I really like the combat mechanics and they feel great for an MMO. The classes are awesome, skills based on your weapons are awesome, combo finishers are immersive and interesting, the art is pure epic(I noticed some of it in the effects of abilities which is really awesome), the animations are brilliant, the graphics are good for an MMO, and the races and classes are interesting as well. I have a few questions:

1.How do you make gold?
    2.Does the game have an auction house?
    3.Does this game have arenas, or will they be implemented in the future?
    4. Can you duel other players?
    5. How exactly does discovering a recipe work? You have to place random items in the "discovery" tab thingy? I have a lot of "armorsmith" tagged mats and they do not appear in the discovery tab.
    6. Which classes are unbalanced(bad)?
    7. Is there a guild finder system in like in WoW to find guilds, or you just have to ask in the chat?
    8. Is there a general/trade chat?
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-02-16 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    1.How do you make gold?
    5. How exactly does discovering a recipe work? You have to place random items in the "discovery" tab thingy? I have a lot of "armorsmith" tagged mats and they do not appear in the discovery tab.
    1. IIRC, it's just opening the guild panel and selecting new guild. Or the NPC in the city. Can't recall which.
    2. Of course
    3. No and no.
    4. No.
    5. Everything follows the same basic formula. Like for example, a sword needs a hilt piece, blade, magic component, etc. Just open up the discovery tab. It's fairly logical. Stuff you can't use yet wont even be an option.
    6. None, really. At least in PVE. PVP I don't really give a flip about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    I just got this game since WoW is no longer worthy of a monthly subscription. I'd still play the hell out of it, but not worthy of a monthly sub. I can say I enjoy GW2 very much. What pisses me off is the lack of character slots, your inability to log on another server, and the lack of end-game content(though the game was just released. Can't really judge end-game for now).

I really like the combat mechanics and they feel great for an MMO. The classes are awesome, skills based on your weapons are awesome, combo finishers are immersive and interesting, the art is pure epic(I noticed some of it in the effects of abilities which is really awesome), the animations are brilliant, the graphics are good for an MMO, and the races and classes are interesting as well. I have a few questions:

1.How do you make gold?
    7. Is there a guild finder system in like in WoW to find guilds, or you just have to ask in the chat?
    You make gold from doing events, dungeons, selling materials you've gathered, trading on the Trading Post, etc.
    Yes, you can access the Black Lion Trading Post from anywhere in game - just hit the little lion head icon upper left on your screen. You can post and buy from anywhere but must go to a trading post to pick up.
    There is sPvP with 5 man arena. Go to the PvP lobby (crossed sword icon)
    There is no dueling. There is a feature coming to rent a pvp map that you can invite peeps to where you can duel. Not sure of the date on that.
    All pretty balanced atm. Couple professions that are a bit OP, tweaks incoming.
    No guild finder in game. Check the official forums, ask in chat, make friends in game.
    Type /m for the map chat channel. That's for whatever zone you're in.

Welcome to the game
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Thank you for the answers.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you make gold?
    The normal way, you do stuff. Or you can buy gems and sell for gold, so bypassing chinese farmers.
    Yes, its not bad either, its clunkier than some and with no add ons available playing the AH is not easy and its not just youre realm so you get pennies for everything until a lot later.
    Spvp is as close to arena as youll get with 5 v 5
    No
    Dunno im saving my crafting till level 60ish to speed through that
    I think thieves are up there, the game isnt balanced in the slightest but its an mmo so I never expect it to be.
    No but you can just join as many guilds as you want to. bad system imo but others like it.
    Yes, at the moment its not too bad for anal spam either, that will come with time.