Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Offically thinkiing of jumping on the Guild Wars 2 train.

Hello all the peps of the Guild wars 2 sub forum. I have officially quit WoW (since the release 5.2 note (deleted and sold, no going back now)) I have check something up about Guild wars 2 around the internet, and seem to love the Dynamic Level/Event but what I am worry about is.

1) How hard is it to level? (most free games are very hard after level 20)
    2) If I am not a PvPer what is there for me to do after I max level?
    3) Is there any Daily grind like WoW: MoP... aka Golden Crap Lotus (if this is a yes, just let me know now so I will not waste my time)
    4) Whats with the Gem shop? Saw a code for Gems at the local Wal-mart, does that mean there are power users?
    5) Will this game be a job like WoW? or will it be something that I can play to have fun?
    6) Any good looking armor? from the photos I seen, I'm not that impressed (I don't care if they are weak, just wanna look nice)
    7) Are areas dead like WoW?
    8) Friendly Community
    9) Ninja Looting?
    10) Gateing?

Save yourself the time and don't bother picking up another MMO. Leveling, pvping, grinding, basically everything you mentioned is apart of the MMO experience. You demand the game caters to you, which is fine and all its your money after all. I would suggest just going single player and playing games you actually know you will like where you don't have to deal with, as you put it "crap".

Deleted
    1) There is no exponential growth in xp needed to level, level 9->10 takes the same time as level 79-80.
    In addition leveling is (imho) more fun because the journey in GW2 is arguably as important if not more as the destination.
    2) There is a lot to do in the game as a whole the leveling / endgame distinction is not very meaningful in GW2.
    3) Not really, to grind you need incentive, rewards that are locked or gated behind dailies for example, so that if you want the rewards you "need" to do dailies.
    There is no carrot at the end of that stick in GW2, there are daily / monthly activities but they're more a reminder of things you can do in the game than anything.
    4) There are convenience and cosmetic items on the gem shop, but sofar no pay to win (ie no "power users")
    Additionally gems can also be bought with in-game currency (gold is not easy to come by in GW2, there's very little inflation but playing the Trading Post / AH can be productive if you're into that sort of thing.
    5) If you try to play it like a job you will not enjoy it. It's an ideal game for jumping in / having some fun / jumping out again without feeling that you're left behind.
    There's no gear treadmill so no real reason to feel compelled to log on every day to keep up, there's scarcely any content (ie fun) locked behind time intensive (possibly unfun) activities.
    In other words this is not a game that dangles "fun" behind a wall of "unfun", either you like playing it or not for the gameplay but at least it's honest.
    6) Purely subjective I'm afraid, I can't tell you if you'll like the same aesthetics as I would, all I can say is there's alot of variation.
    7) There's an eb and flow of people, cities are usually full, world is also pretty active around events.
    8) People don't go out of their way to socialize, as you're pretty self-sufficient in GW2 but the game doesn't promote douchebagery so people are quite friendly when they interact.
    9) Ninja looting is impossible in GW2 by design, if you fight it you can loot it, there's no monster tagging or node tagging for resources.
    Loot is also "personalized" (for example if you're helping a lower level friend you still get drops according to your actual level despite your character will be scaled down to the zone level)
    10) Pretty much non-existent.

1. Guild Wars 2 is not free. Leveling speed is average with twink crafting.

2. The same things you did while leveling up: events, dungeons, crafting and exploration.

3. No. There are dailies of a sort, but there is no rep. And Guild Wars is not a gear grind based game.

4. The Gem Shop is what Arena.net calls their cash shop. They sell cosmetics, mini pets, account perks and so on. You can not buy gear or power directly. In game gold can used instead of IRL cash for the items in the Gem Shop.

5. No, all 5 of the Guild Wars games are casual play orientated.

6. Tons of sites. Check the official Wiki, http://dulfy.net/category/gw2/fashion-gw2/ or http://www.gw2armor.com/

7. No.

8. Same as every other MMO.

9. Impossible. Loot is only for you.

10. No.

11. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling is easy, you get experience from everything. You can even craft your way to 80 if you want but you'd be missing a lot.

Achievements
    Dungeons
    Pet Collecting
    Fractals
    Collect armor sets
    WvW
    Jumping Puzzles
    Monthly content patches keeps adding new stuff to the game

3) Is there any Daily grind like WoW: MoP... aka Golden Crap Lotus (if this is a yes, just let me know now so I will not waste my time)
    There is a daily you can do for extra karma and a laurel but it's very open (not restricted to a certain area or event, say X kills anywhere in game) You complete it just by playing. It changes everyday.

4) Whats with the Gem shop? Saw a code for Gems at the local Wal-mart, does that mean there are power users?
    Gem shop sells vanity and convenience items only. No power ups.

5) Will this game be a job like WoW? or will it be something that I can play to have fun?
    Most fun MMO I've ever played. Really
    Very easy to jump in and out of, you don't get "behind" in the gear.

6) Any good looking armor? from the photos I seen, I'm not that impressed (I don't care if they are weak, just wanna look nice)
    Here's a link to all the armors. Note that you can dye them any color you like, like have the collar one color and the trim or buttons another, etc.
    http://gw2armorgallery.com/
    There are some omgAMAZING weapons - the legendaries - but they do require a grind like no other to obtain. (they do not give a power advantage, looks only. Will always be BIS)

There are some maps that don't have as much activity but as a general rule just partcipate in the events, people come out of the woodwork for those.

8) Friendly Community
    Very friendly and helpful community. ANet is very strict about verbal abuse and the game design encourages cooperation with no ninja looting, mob tagging or node stealing.

9) Ninja Looting?
    Can't do it. Everyone that participates in an event or dungeon gets a reward.

10) Gateing?
    No ilvl gates. The only gate is your level (can't do a level 80 dungeon if you are level 50)
    High level fractals have an agony mechanic that you need agony resist gear for but you can do all fractals at any level with any gear. Downscaling keeps all content current and upscaling lets you participate in things you haven't leveled for yet.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-02-09 at 09:12 AM.
    Valar morghulis

Hello all, newbie here. I just started playing GW2 two days ago. I've been in the boat of debating whether to play this or not. I admittedly come from WoW and have to say I'm impressed by a few things in this game. One of the biggest stand outs is that there is no recurring subscription fee. That has been an issue for me in WoW since when at times I couldn't play you feel like I waste my money. With this game I feel better knowing that I can go at my own pace and not feel like I'm missing out. I really do love the graphics of this game and ability to customize your character. Asside from that I'm looking forward to seeing how different this game is from WoW, and so far it's been a good experience.

Deleted
    1. You get extra xp from crafting, doing wvw, gathering, ressing others, etc. The amount of xp is always based on your current level ( so even if you're doing a low level area you still get xp based on your current level ).
    2. Besides the things already posted, you could do world vs world aswell since its more like a huge battleground than pvp.
    3. Not like in wow. The first thing limited by day is related to a daily quest ( which can be done ~15m if you're playing - doesn't require you to do anything special, just playing, killing, gathering some shits, ressing, etc. ). The second thing is related to farming some dungeons for gear ( only for looks since the stats are the same ). At the end of every run you get a number of tokens that can be converted into gear but with each run completed in the same day you get fewer tokens from that specific dungeon.
    7. Depends on the area, but most of them are still active. If you need help or you find an event you can always use /m to send a message that can be seen by all the players in that area.

Okay, it sounds like a game I would really enjoy. You guys think the collectors is worth it? I heard some people say it is, but some say it isn't. I'm gonna to pick it up/buy it today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    Okay, it sounds like a game I would really enjoy. You guys think the collectors is worth it? I heard some people say it is, but some say it isn't. I'm gonna to pick it up/buy it today.
    Personal decision. For ingame items you get a Rytlock Brimstone mini-pet (that cannot be obtained elsewhere) a couple temporary convenience items and a special elite skill (which isn't very powerful, just looks cool when someone pulls it out)

Then there is collector's type stuff like a statue, music cd, pictures, etc.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    Unless you want to show everyone your dedication to giant video game statues of cow/cat hybrids- no.

All the in-game perks offered by the CE are meaningless. The CE is really just meant to indulge one's inner 9-year old.

Can't imagine someone new to the game with no Guild Wars history finding the CE a "great" value. With respect, it seems you are a Johnny Come-Lately rather a long time fan of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Unless you want to show everyone your dedication to giant video game statues of cow/cat hybrids- no.

All the in-game perks offered by the CE are meaningless. The CE is really just meant to indulge one's inner 9-year old.

Can't imagine someone new to the game with no Guild Wars history finding the CE a "great" value. With respect, it seems you are a Johnny Come-Lately rather a long time fan of the franchise.
    Looking to see if the extra in game stuff is wroth it, and I also like "ART", I have to be a fan of the franchise to like Guild WAR 2 "ART"?. Your comment sound elitist (@Fencers), which is one reason I quit WoW.

Definition of "ART" includes
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Then there is collector's type stuff like a statue, music cd, pictures, etc.
    Last edited by Kioshi; 2013-02-09 at 05:57 PM.

Can just buy all that in-game stuff of the CE normally. It's up to you if the art and action figure are worth the $150. Though yes, I can't imagine a new player to the franchise getting a lot of value out of it beside the action figure. YMMV.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-09 at 06:05 PM.

What's quite interesting about GW2 is I remember everyone saying "Oh because it's a one off purchase people will drop it and pick it back up every so often and they'll never really quit" but i've not played it for months.. nor have any of my friends who bought it. So I guess that theory wasn't exactly correct. It's a shame because it's a brilliant looking game but for some reason it never pulled us in.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    What's quite interesting about GW2 is I remember everyone saying "Oh because it's a one off purchase people will drop it and pick it back up every so often and they'll never really quit" but i've not played it for months.. nor have any of my friends who bought it. So I guess that theory wasn't exactly correct. It's a shame because it's a brilliant looking game but for some reason it never pulled us in.
    Guild Wars as a franchise can be somewhat polarizing. Either one really digs the way Anet's games operate or sorta don't.

I rarely saw GW1 players "come back" if they were lukewarm on the game systems. Because there is nothing to pull them back. As a series Guild Wars banks on players finding the basic experience of playing the game fun in of itself, and for it's own sake.

Has to "click" with you how Anet's game play out at the most basic level.

Guild Wars as a franchise can be somewhat polarizing. Either one really digs the way Anet's games operate or sorta don't.

I rarely saw GW1 players "come back" if they were lukewarm on the game systems. Because there is nothing to pull them back. As a series Guild Wars banks on players finding the basic experience of playing the game fun in of itself, and for it's own sake.

Has to "click" with you how Anet's game play out at the most basic level.
    Pretty much spot on. Although I have to say that I returned to GW after not playing for a year (got it at release). When I stopped playing I never thought I'd return since I didn't really enjoy it. But I did return and it became one of my favorite games ever. So there are always exceptions to the above quote.

10+ Year Old Account
    it seems you are a Johnny Come-Lately rather a long time fan of the franchise.
    I can honestly say I've never met anyone in game with this attitude. I know quite a few GW1 players and tons of players from other games, it's quite catholic really.
    Valar morghulis

With what attitude, that they are new to the franchise? Are you actually saying most players you meet in game are long time GW1 players?

I would find that hard to believe. GW2 is FAR more popular than GW1 was and far more mass market. By sales alone and it's meteoric popularity GW2 must have more Johnny Come-Latelys than stalwart GW1 players.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-09 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    With what attitude, that they are new to the franchise? Are you actually saying most players you meet in game are long time GW1 players?

I would find that hard to believe. GW2 is FAR more popular than GW1 was and far more mass market. By sales alone and it's meteoric popularity GW2 must have more Johnny Come-Latelys than stalwart GW1 players.

The term "Johnny-come-lately" is widely viewed as derogatory, akin to "Wrath babies" used in WoW.

I'm not saying most players I meet in game played GW1 (in fact quite the opposite), but those I do know don't see us "newcomers to the franchise" as somehow not being able to appreciate or love the game as much as they do.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    The term "Johnny-come-lately" is widely viewed as derogatory, akin to "Wrath babies" used in WoW.
    What.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Johnny-come-lately
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...ny-come-lately

I have never seen the term used derogatorily. And there is nonesuch in my posts. You may be misconstruing the term with "Band-wagoner" which is derived from "Band-Wagon". As in 'popular cause or movement'. Used pejoratively in politics and social movements.

Even then the negative of "Band-wagoner" is mostly informal or vulgar. One can use the term "Band-Wagon" without negative dictative or connotative meaning.

To wit~ http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bandwagon

In the context of the thread title ['jumping on the GW2 train'], OP's questions and follow-up posts the term "Johnny Come-Lately" is used here appropriately in the English language.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-09 at 08:56 PM.

Not hard at all, just time consuming. Asian like grind for some, cyber orgasm for others. The only way to speed up leveling 1-80 to a few hours is by leveling crafting professions.

There is plenty to do. Dungeons, farming for gold/karma, dailies and monthlies, 100% world completion and other stuff. WvW is also fun, worth a try even if you usually don't like pvp much.

Yes, and Anet is on a steady mission to make endgame all about dailies and monthlies like most other MMOs. Endgame innovation failed and went out of the window pretty fast.

The rich kids aren't any stronger than the poor kids in GW2, they just get things days, weeks, months earlier than the poor kids, like legendaries, rare skins and even just plain old exotics. Gems (dollars) mostly buy you time in GW2.

Right now yes, if you miss a daily you miss out on currency used for bis (ascended) equipment amongst other things. You can always just use gems, dollars or gold as a shortcut. Almost everything is BoE and buyable with gems/dollars in GW2, even legendaries.

Yes there is some amazing art, but it is not much. Most gear looks the same and the variation is not great. If you want to roll a male ranger but don't like coats you are out of luck, since every single medium chest piece in the game is a variation of sexy trench coat. Because there are so few cool armor/weapon skills, many people end up looking exactly the same. Dyes are super awesome though.

Yes. I see more people leveling on a high pop WoW server than I do in some low level GW2 zones on a full server. Anet labels servers very shadily, so make sure to pick a non dead one.

8) Friendly Community
    Yes, amazing community. Really great community.

9) Ninja Looting?

No such thing, this is 2013.

10) Gateing?
    Not really.