Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PTR: "New" Devouring Plague

New PTR note is out, and a change for DP, here goes:

"Devouring Plague initial damage has no base damage anymore and just scales based on spellpower, rather than a base plus a lower amount of spellpower. The DoT component damage has been reduced by 40%."

Any1 knows what this means in numbers? is this a buff/nerf?

would fucking hate it being another nerf, since we are allready bottom of the food chain in dps pve singel target scenarios.

EDIT: Talk about bad spelling in headline, cant change it tho o_O

This looks like they are trying to increase burst.

Its a miniscule nerf from live... DP losing a mere 5500 damage at around 25000 spellpower. Whereas with the 20% MB buff, you're gaining about 14k damage on each one.
    Personally, I liked the previous version of the PTR DP better. Though, if blizz really wanted to buff our burst, they could make the upfront damage scale with mastery.

Anyone tried it yet with the pvp on use trinkets?

Deleted
    It's a pvp nerf, because spelldamage on PVP Items is lower compared to PVE Items.

EDIT
    DP on Live (per orb consumed):
    20381 initial DMG
    3385 per DOT tick

DP on PTR (per orb consumed):
    18308 initial DMG
    3308 per DOT tick
    Last edited by mmoc8b1766084d; 2013-02-09 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenobaal View Post
    It's a pvp nerf, because spelldamage on PVP Items is lower compared to PVE Items.

EDIT
    DP on Live (per orb consumed):
    20381 initial DMG
    3385 per DOT tick

DP on PTR (per orb consumed):
    18308 initial DMG
    3308 per DOT tick
    Right, but PvP gear has PvP power on it which is the same thing.

the base damage before pvp power will be lower than live.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crudelitas View Post
    the base damage before pvp power will be lower than live.
    GC is a smart guy... now he can trash Spriest in PVP without hurting the PVE aspect of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenobaal View Post
    GC is a smart guy... now he can trash Spriest in PVP without hurting the PVE aspect of the game.

He tweets saying DP is a bad area to nerf, reverts it then nerfs it again. :S

I am lost.

he buffed Mind blast with 20% instead it seems.

hope we just get some overall better buffs, we are still miles behind other casters unless we have fights where we can "abuse" tof
    Last edited by Flashforcash; 2013-02-10 at 12:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashforcash View Post
    he buffed Mind blast with 20% instead it seems.

hope we just get some overall better nerfs, we are still miles behind other casters unless we have fights where we can "abuse" tof
    By better nerfs you mean better buffs, right?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmorgrim View Post
    Its a miniscule nerf from live... DP losing a mere 5500 damage at around 25000 spellpower. Whereas with the 20% MB buff, you're gaining about 14k damage on each one.
    Personally, I liked the previous version of the PTR DP better. Though, if blizz really wanted to buff our burst, they could make the upfront damage scale with mastery.

I'm not up-to-date about all those PTR changes, but i've looked at the changelog and I don't see that +20%
    dmg on MB anywhere. What did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by CnQuiZ View Post
    I'm not up-to-date about all those PTR changes, but i've looked at the changelog and I don't see that +20%
    dmg on MB anywhere. What did I miss?
    It isn't on the current PTR build, but GC said it was incoming:

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...rt-ii/#post963
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stickyjam View Post
    He tweets saying DP is a bad area to nerf, reverts it then nerfs it again. :S

I am lost.
    Remember damage numbers aren't finalized. What it looks like is an attempt to fix PvP initial burst while still attempting to let PvE have it as a burst. Not exactly sure how it'll work out till towards the end of PTR as numbers get more finalized. The reason they wanted to nerf DP first on PTR was because the initial burst for PvP was rather hefty (with PvP Power) and would rather lower that than other abilities in PvP. By making it scale better with SP instead of SP/PvP Power it allows for the burst to be a little bit lower in PvP and the burst in PvE higher when using it.

Hopefully that's the intended goal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    Right, but PvP gear has PvP power on it which is the same thing.
    Except it's not. Different abilities scale with differently with spell power, where as every ability scales with PvP power in the exact same way. This means, changing the percentage with which an ability scales with spell power has a greater effect on PvE than on PvP. In this case they are greatly buffing the scaling, which is gonna show up as more of an increase in PvE than PvP. At the same time, the flat damage component has been removed, which has a flat effect on PvE, but a scalable effect on PvP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeldruid View Post
    Except it's not. Different abilities scale with differently with spell power, where as every ability scales with PvP power in the exact same way. This means, changing the percentage with which an ability scales with spell power has a greater effect on PvE than on PvP. In this case they are greatly buffing the scaling, which is gonna show up as more of an increase in PvE than PvP. At the same time, the flat damage component has been removed, which has a flat effect on PvE, but a scalable effect on PvP.
    Live is currently 78.3% (and 13.1% on the dot) spellpower scaling (vs 78.6% and 13% on ptr), so this is a slight nerf over live (when you factor in the loss of base damage), even in PvE.

Break even point where its not a nerf is like 600k spell power for initial dmg
    9% nerf at 20k, 6% at 30k, 4.5% at 40k, 3.5% at 50k ... 1.5% at 100k..

So sure, it'll hit PvP harder than pve, but it is still a nerf in both cases

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Remember damage numbers aren't finalized. What it looks like is an attempt to fix PvP initial burst while still attempting to let PvE have it as a burst. Not exactly sure how it'll work out till towards the end of PTR as numbers get more finalized. The reason they wanted to nerf DP first on PTR was because the initial burst for PvP was rather hefty (with PvP Power) and would rather lower that than other abilities in PvP. By making it scale better with SP instead of SP/PvP Power it allows for the burst to be a little bit lower in PvP and the burst in PvE higher when using it.

Hopefully that's the intended goal though.

Devouring plague in pvp is the predictable burst though, you could even make addons to track the enemys mind blasts and therefore orbs.

random procs like 5 MS/MB procs fired off in a row isnt predictable and is a large fault in the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by stickyjam View Post
    random procs like 5 MS/MB procs fired off in a row isnt predictable and is a large fault in the spec.
    wut? Depending a class on proccs, is bad? :O WHAT IS THIS MADNESS

Yes, I'm sarcastic.
    I'm a kittycat