Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    because its a game that consumes LARGE amounts of time and is not beneficial in any way at the same time.
    What would happen if the same amount of effort were put into curing cancer that has been put into collecting epics that are worthless in a few months...

Then multiply that by millions.

15+ Year Old Account
    People will hate/fear/etc things they dont understand, my dad used to be like "why are u playing so much video games, etc" then one day i find him and my mom playing Mahjong (flash puzzle game), ever since he plays it EVERYDAY, he finally understood my addiction to video games.

If u got the same problem, try to introduce them to Mahjong or similar smaller games.

Edit, yay 1000th post
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    "Society" hates WoW? Like..2 billion western people?

Why always this hyperbole in threads?
    There are 7, not 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalsWoW View Post
    - What bothers me are people who generalize the people who play this game, because we aren't all fat and have no lives outside this game, and if you are fat and don't have alot of friends, so what? YOU choose to sit in and play, it's your way to live your life as of right now.
    - To hell with all the ignorant wankers out there.
    I couldn't have said it better. So what if some guy wants to spend the majority of his time playing wow? He isn't gonna be out shooting up schools, or raping up kids (we have the Catholic church for that) or causing trouble at all.

Had you druther he cook up meth?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggel View Post
    guy code (my favorite show)
    I have a better question, why would anyone watch that shit?

Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    because its a game that consumes LARGE amounts of time and is not beneficial in any way at the same time.
    Oh, you mean sort of like watching Guy Code or just about anything on TV these days really.
    Last edited by Dallan; 2013-02-09 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by felhunter View Post
    its cool to be a wow hater atm, so people be hating
    yup the cool kids are all hating on wow now, I think its hilarious

Deleted
    It's a hobby with little to no intrinsic or tactile value.

The "saving grace" of the game is the social aspect, where you can meet with people from all over the world and form real friendships past the borders on the map.

However these friendships often have "less value" as normal friendships, because they usually stop once you stop playing the game and often have no relevance to key moments in your life (birthdays, graduation, parties, weddings etc...).

In my time living on this green Earth I've observed a bizarre human culture of having to have someone to blame. How you handle, deflect, or re-direct blame can be a big part of your success in life to the point where such practice could be construed as being a life skill. (and I don't even mean in the sense of masking your failures, but even in the cases of doing everything right, being able to deflect blame others attempt to pass onto you to mask their own missteps.) Often times it becomes convenient to place blame on things a majority of people don't fully understand and are thus less likely to dispute such claims. When you hear about gun violence for example, a lot of people blamed the NRA who in turn blamed gaming, etc. Nobody is blaming movies though, we all watch and understand those.

Now my question is: why does society hate this game so much and where could all of this originated?
    Because they cant be a lvl 90 paladin.

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 12:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    However these friendships often have "less value" as normal friendships, because they usually stop once you stop playing the game and often have no relevance to key moments in your life (birthdays, graduation, parties, weddings etc...).
    Been playing with the same folks for 5 years I have to say that doesnt apply to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now my question is: why does society hate this game so much and where could all of this originated?
    Your question is severely flawed in that there is no evidence that society hates this game so much. The evidence you present is interpreted poorly.

Guy Code (really, you should not be watching this as it is garbage) is not in any sense representative of society as a whole. MTV promotes a specific subculture of idiocy. It is a small minority and it is relegated to young people and stupid people. This is widely known. It is fairer to say that society, as a whole, "hates" MTV more than it hates WoW.

South Park was a parody. The writers are intelligent and certainly are aware that not all WoW players are fat hopeless slobs. Hyperbole can be a great vessel for delivering humor. What the fat kid is making fun of, is a specific kind of person who sits around doing nothing, never leaving the house, etc.

In my personal experience, people will quip about nerds who play WoW, and even my friends will joke about. But I can assure you, all of the jokes, all of the taboo, and all of the hate (even from something as marginal and irrelevant as an MTV show) come not from the game itself, but from the fact that so many players are wholly consumed by it. I know I have been, and I'm recovering. Still play, just not often.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Explain beneficial in regards to playing a video game.

I wasn't aware they did.. haven't heard anything too negative around my neck of the woods, besides the occasional person saying it can be too time consuming or they heard from a friend of a friend who watched some video online about how it can be addicting (Like any hobby can be IMO).
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

I don't think society hates warcraft or any game, just 14 year olds on the forums who have made it their mission in life to bash a game because it doesn't cater to their every whim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    7 billion "WESTERN"? Because that is what I wrote, if you would be kind enough to check. 7 billion are on the whole planet.
    Separating "western" from the rest of the world is kinda hateful in itself. Besides last time I checked, the US, Canada and EU combined don't even have 1 billion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Warcraft drains your soul, sucks out your insides and fills your head with stupid... so I hear :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Separating "western" from the rest of the world is kinda hateful in itself. Besides last time I checked, the US, Canada and EU combined don't even have 1 billion.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=euro...&oe=utf-8&aq=t
    https://www.google.com/search?q=unit...&oe=utf-8&aq=t

Pretty sure that equals to more than a billion.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friends think I am lame for playing WoW instead of drinking, smoking pot or dropping ecstasy with them while they go out. O.o who is the real loser? I dated a girl a while back who used to call me the biggest nerd on the planet for playing WoW... She told me she'd rather I go out and party like a "Normal" 20something year old guy ...I asked how a hobby 10 million people have is abnormal. I didn't get an answer.
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    Half of europe isn't even considered western.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...European_Union
    "As of 1 January 2012, the population of the EU is about 503.5 million people."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeonde View Post
    My friends think I am lame for playing WoW instead of drinking, smoking pot or dropping ecstasy with them while they go out. O.o who is the real loser? I dated a girl a while back who used to call me the biggest nerd on the planet for playing WoW... She told me she'd rather I go out and party like a "Normal" 20something year old guy ...I asked how a hobby 10 million people have is abnormal. I didn't get an answer.
    Partying is pretty normal. It is important to develop social skills. You don't have to use drugs and alcohol in excess, or even at all, in order to party and socialize.

But if you spend all of your 20s hiding behind a computer screen, what do you think your 30s and 40s are going to look like? What do you hope to do with your life, and how might a lack of social skills impede your progress? This is important stuff to think about in your 20s. What kind of person are you turning yourself into?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    Partying is pretty normal.
    No it isn't. It's literally a waste of cash. And most of the time it automatically leads to drugs anyway.