Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    The guy is going from a PSP to something newer, I'm not sure going back to the DS is going to be a good move. There are no new titles being developed for DS, and of the ~1000 title library, all but 20 or so of the games are garbage.
    I'm not suggesting he buy a DS. The 3DS is backwards compatible.
    Sure, there's a lot of shovelware and crap games on the DS. There are on every system. But there are also a surprising amount of good games on it. My DS collection is one of my largest, and I've only played a fraction of what I'd like to.
    Last edited by Duruka; 2013-02-10 at 09:44 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can never go wrong with Nintendo, and the 3DS already has a great line of games in it's lineup with more coming this year.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    I wouldn't go for the PSVita at all, if you're really into mobile gaming get a 3ds instead. I'm so disappointed by the Vita.

The vita isn't digital download only. You can either a digital, or physical copy of a game. The physical type goes into a slot near the memory card I believe.

I'm not suggesting he buy a DS. The 3DS is backwards compatible.
    Sure, there's a lot of shovelware and crap games on the DS. There are on every system. But there are also a surprising amount of good games on it. My DS collection is one of my largest, and I've only played a fraction of what I'd like to.
    The point I'm trying to make is that DS games are probably not going to be what he's looking for. Buying a 3DS for it's few quality titles and a bunch of older DS games isn't going to be as exciting or rewarding as waiting until something really good comes out for portable gaming.

The main problem with the DS is that:

1. Very few games take advantage of the platform's hardware capabilities.
    2. Very few games utilize the touch screen for anything more than a gimmick.
    3. Very few games offer more than just a few hours of game play.

So while you have your tried and true rehashes like pokemon and mario games, the vast majority of the games that were made for the DS were overwhelmingly gimmicky and disposable, like the studios ran out of money or were just experimenting with the technology. What made it worse was that a lot of great titles that were previously launched from the GBA didn't really gain anything from porting over to the DS.

Reasons to play a 3DS:

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Super Mario 3D Land (awesome platformer)
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star
    Resident Evil: Revelations (dear gods was this finally a good ResEv)
    Mario Kart 7 (if you have friends to play with, it's even download play to share)
    New Super Mario Bros 2 (... if you're into sidescrolling?)
    Professor Layton.
    Adventure Time.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (out in April).

And a confirmed Smash Bros. on the way, being shown off at E3, with a lot more down the road as well.

That's not counting remakes (omfg StarFox64) or "meh" ports (SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked) either. "Few quality titles" doesn't quite hold up anymore, Eroginous.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2013-02-13 at 12:59 AM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Vita is pretty much only if you want to play games you already played on pc/consoles (like uncharted, AC etc..) - also if you have PS3 vita is pretty good because you can buy SOME games on PS3 and it works on vita (like PS all stars).

Tho the whole "must have expensive memory card" and the games on it are bit meh.. I think it kinda shares PSP's faith. Why would I want to play same games I play on big TV on my tiny handheld?

However 3DS seems more better on line-up. They are pretty much build for the system in mind. But thats up to you, if you dont like 3D or touch screen..then shrug.. has great exclusive titles tho - best on whole portable market and it certainly looks stable unlike Vita so far

Let's be honest, there are only two choices for mobile gaming these days:

Nintendo (3)DS or any decent Android mobile phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    3DSXL, although I really wish there were more reason to recommend the Vita. All the tech with nothing to support it.

Vita is pretty much only if you want to play games you already played on pc/consoles (like uncharted, AC etc..) - also if you have PS3 vita is pretty good because you can buy SOME games on PS3 and it works on vita (like PS all stars).
    The whole reason for having a portable gaming machine is to take your gaming on the go. I've always wanted to be able to play all my current console games while not being able to play at a console cuz I'm not at home. Unfortunately, all the game developers are too busy trying to come up with some 'portable exclusive variant' that is not only different than the console game it was spawned from, but it's largely not compatible. Some games have features that will cross over, but ideally a gamer should be able to pick up where he left off in his console game, on his portable device.

While I think that some portable games are great in their own right, I don't like having to buy an overpriced and underdeveloped portable gaming unit just so I can play that game, only to find out that it's short on play time or uses cheap gimmicks as a selling point.

That's not counting remakes (omfg StarFox64) or "meh" ports (SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked) either. "Few quality titles" doesn't quite hold up anymore, Eroginous.
    It's obvious that you and I have a different opinion on what constitutes as 'quality.'

Coming out with N64 versions of games isn't exactly something a company should do, since the N64 is 15 years old and using outdated technology. The fact that they would push N64 titles as a selling point for a brand new hand held perfectly illustrates my point about quality. The only titles worth mentioning for the 3DS at this point are all sequels or rehashes. Nothing unique, nothing new, nothing worth mentioning.

Now, I have a NDS Lite, which I've had for years. You wanna know what games I have for it that I consider quality? GTA: Chinatown Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics: A2, and Golden Sun, Dark Dawn. That's it. And before you say it, yes, I've play every single game released for NDS (emulators are great for testing games). The problems that NDS had are becoming the same problems 3DS has: too many fluff titles made to empty parent's and nostalgic gamer's wallets.

/shrug.

Just get solid android phone like Samsung Galaxy s2/s3 and you will be better off than investing into any handheld console

10+ Year Old Account
    Take a look at the games library first, ive only got about 10 games on my ds then i stopped using it, just not many good portable games that interest me these days. If you need a portable device id just get a decent smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    It's obvious that you and I have a different opinion on what constitutes as 'quality.'

Coming out with N64 versions of games isn't exactly something a company should do, since the N64 is 15 years old and using outdated technology. The fact that they would push N64 titles as a selling point for a brand new hand held perfectly illustrates my point about quality. The only titles worth mentioning for the 3DS at this point are all sequels or rehashes. Nothing unique, nothing new, nothing worth mentioning.
    Whish is the complete opposite of the list I gave. You responded to a songle line, worded specifically because people go "OMG DID YOU PLAY OCARINA YET" in which I agree that this should not be a selling point for a console, whether living room based, handheld, or even mobile.

It shouldn't. I listed quality games that actually stand up, all but two are out in North America now. And you flat out ignored that, continuing to cite it's "only rehashes and remakes" which shows you really didn't bother reading and are simply loudspeakering from a year and a half ago when your opinion could actually be held as fact. Now it is more akin to trolling as someone still clinging to the primitive ideas of the "console wars", or hopefully just mild ignorance reinforced by false information. Step outside your own echo chamber, the world might surprise you.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I'm really enjoying my 3DS. Get that custom firmware on it and start downloading games for free.