Page 1 of 2
LastLast

5.2 Release Soon?

Seen this started to download just a few minutes ago. Possible end of Feb - Early March release?

It finished downloading. This is how much data downloaded.

Last edited by Holyshnikies; 2013-02-10 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That seems to be a lot early since they're still working on quite a bit for classes, not to mention raid testing doesn't seem to be anything even close to completed. Anything is possible though. February 19th seems a unlikely.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account

Hunter - Monk - Warlock - Shaman - Paladin
    <Immersion> - Alliance 25 man guild @ Frostmane Stream

too soon executus, too soon

Yeah, I assumed sometime near the end of February that 5.2 would be out. I just reached over 1 gig worth of data downloaded.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember seeing a 2 week notice for the end of the PvP season, which they typically do. I'd guess the Tuesday after, with notice going out this Tuesday.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Best indicator is the 2 week arena season ending warning, for big content patches.
    Pity Heal
    Unlimited range
    Channeled
    Baron Ashbury has pity on you, but only so he can continue inflicting pain! Heals all nearby enemies and allies for 5% health every 1 sec.
    Spellid 93705

Probably not as they will still be testing the server event.

Not a single Heroic or 25man boss has been tested so far, 5.2 patch won't won't be released before early march, they had to really throw out testings every day to bring the patch mid february

Deleted
    The title could be right anyway!
    Mars not february. 19th US, 20th EU. Yes, that's possible.

Mine started last night, I think we should expect an announcement this Tuesday for 26th release. (19th is not possible due to lack of 2 week prior notice)
    "Blizzard is not incompetent or stupid and they are not intentionally screwing you over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    That seems to be a lot early since they're still working on quite a bit for classes, not to mention raid testing doesn't seem to be anything even close to completed. Anything is possible though. February 19th seems a unlikely.
    Not just unlikely, but impossible.

OP, I refer you to this particular blue post: Isle of the Thunder King: Unlock Schedule.

As you can see from this schedule, the PTR testing for these stages is continuing well up until the 22nd of February - and that's when the last stage is just unlocked on the PTR, the testing for it will continue for several days afterwards if the schedule is anything to go by. Not to mention the various other things which require more testing, as mentioned by Eschaton above me, like raiding, class balance and changes, professions, quests, bug fixes etc etc. Also, if it was as little as 9 days away, I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to guess that we'd know about it by now.

So no, there is not a hope in hell of it launching on the 19th of February. If it does, I will eat my hat. And seeing as I don't actually own a hat, I'd have to go out and buy one just for the purpose of eating it.

They've only just began to test LFR, there is heroic to be tested yet. Mid/End of March we'll see 5.2.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartj1992 View Post
    Not just unlikely, but impossible.

OP, I refer you to this particular blue post: Isle of the Thunder King: Unlock Schedule.

As you can see from this schedule, the PTR testing for these stages is continuing well up until the 22nd of February - and that's when the last stage is just unlocked on the PTR, the testing for it will continue for several days afterwards if the schedule is anything to go by. Not to mention the various other things which require more testing, as mentioned by Eschaton above me, like raiding, class balance and changes, professions, quests, bug fixes etc etc. Also, if it was as little as 9 days away, I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to guess that we'd know about it by now.

So no, there is not a hope in hell of it launching on the 19th of February. If it does, I will eat my hat. And seeing as I don't actually own a hat, I'd have to go out and buy one just for the purpose of eating it.
    haha. Yeah. Just seemed odd that I would download 1.1gb of a patch. Either its the full patch itself and it gives everyone a chance to download it before the actual release date so its no so slow, then everyone will download a small 200mb balance patch on release date. I expected end of Feb. But maybe after the Blizzard Conference call, they are rushing things. Who knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll explain this again from the past:

Blizzard as of Cataclym and Mists of Pandaria seem to release patches at the last Tuesday of a month.

There's some things to consider, where they are on the PTR, when the background downloader begins, etc.

If it's a patch with a raid, always look at how far they are in testing. Right now, they're testing LFR and soon heroic versions of the raid. Once the testing of the heroics is over, I noticed the patch will be around couple weeks of release.

Also the background download has begun, which they seem to start the month of release or around that time.

Here's a look at the release dates of the past patches since 4.0:

4.1: Tuesday April 26, 2011
    4.2: Tuesday June 28, 2011
    4.3: Tuesday November 29, 2011
    5.0 Pre Release Patch: Tuesday August 28, 2012
    Mists of Pandaria: Tuesday September 25, 2012
    5.1: Tuesday November 27, 2012

NOT saying they WILL follow that pattern. Sometimes they even release on the first Tuesday of the month.

So expect either February 26th or March 5th as possible dates.

*Update* Also note that heroic testings in the past were the SAME month of the release date for thy patch!
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartj1992 View Post
    One of those Carmen Miranda hats with a lot of fruit on it would serve well just in case

I think it's impossible as well but 'impossible' is a word I now never use where Blizz is concerned. Or at least I qualify it unnecessarily.

My own extremely cynical guess is closer to the end of March (after the 15th) to take advantage of people coming back for their quarterly results. In any case I don't think this will be ready before then, quarterly results or no.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Not a single Heroic or 25man boss has been tested so far, 5.2 patch won't won't be released before early march, they had to really throw out testings every day to bring the patch mid february
    It doesn't take that long to test them. PTR testing follows closed testing anyways, think of it as a final draft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    haha. Yeah. Just seemed odd that I would download 1.1gb of a patch. Either its the full patch itself and it gives everyone a chance to download it before the actual release date so its no so slow, then everyone will download a small 200mb balance patch on release date. I expected end of Feb. But maybe after the Blizzard Conference call, they are rushing things. Who knows.
    The thing is, the things Blizzard are still changing -- skills/spells, balancing, etc - are mostly done server-side, and the only thing that a client patch is needed for is tooltip changes. That is very small.

The art, the localization, the zone files, etc -- those have been done for quite some time, and will not change, even if they make some number tweaks.
    That's what you downloaded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard always starts releasing major content patch data early--sometimes very early. I can't remember which patch it was (might've been 4.0.1), but there was one that started downloading over two months before it was released.

Once they get a lot of the artwork done, they'll want to get the data out there early so people with weaker connections don't have to spend hours downloading on patch day.

I would expect early-to-mid march. Still plenty of things that need to be tested on the PTR.