Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The neglected Sand Trolls

Anyone else feel like the sand trolls deserve more of a presence in Wow? Every other kind of troll has had major involvement in questing, dungeons and raids and has masses of lore about them.

But the poor old sand trolls have practically no lore at all; we know nothing about them. They're not really involved in any quests, except for three or so little quests in Tanaris and Pandaria. All they have is a short dungeon and a token appearance with the Zandalari in patch 5.2.

I'd really like to see Zul'farrak updated and made into a max-level heroic, which to be honest should have been done in 4.1. I really wish they'd been properly involved in Tanaris questing too...

What do you think, want to see more of them?

Eh I never really liked the Sand Trolls.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I always assumed they were the weakest because they lived right next door to AQ. Kind of got their asses kicked after the empire split.

If they developed any lore for them I hope it would be something along the lines of swearing to follow Vol'jin and the Darkspear.

I'd say that as far as numbers go they are the least numerous of the tribes they really don't deserve any major involvement in lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure all the major troll tribes are represented in the council fight in throne of thunder, so that's something at least :P
    I for one don't care much, it's just another troll tribe.

And I would absolutely not want zul'farrak changed or updated. One of the few great classic dungeons left :P

Say what you will about the presence of Sand Trolls or lack thereof... they're still doing worlds better than Dark Trolls...

http://www.wowwiki.com/Dark_troll

All over the place in Warcraft III. Strangely absent in World of Warcraft.

Which sucks, because I'd love to see some purple trolls.

And before someone says, "They exist in WoW as an offshoot of Forest trolls" yeah, well that's just something lore nerds cooked up to reconcile the fact that they went almost completely neglected in WoW. They were a distinctly purple sub-set of trolls in Warcraft III... not the mottled confusion they currently are through lack of further development in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by TragedyAnn View Post
    Say what you will about the presence of Sand Trolls or lack thereof... they're still doing worlds better than Dark Trolls...

http://www.wowwiki.com/Dark_troll

All over the place in Warcraft III. Strangely absent in World of Warcraft.

Which sucks, because I'd love to see some purple trolls.

And before someone says, "They exist in WoW as an offshoot of Forest trolls" yeah, well that's just something lore nerds cooked up to reconcile the fact that they went almost completely neglected in WoW. They were a distinctly purple sub-set of trolls in Warcraft III... not the mottled confusion they currently are through lack of further development in WoW.
    The twilight's hammer wiped out the Dark Trolls that would be why you don't see any of them.

I always thought they were some of the coolest trolls what with all the basilisks and the tiny snippets of their history you got in questing (What pandaria quests do they have?), I wish they'd joined the Horde, the whole reason they're hostile is the steamwheedle chewing up their land, if they'd used the Darkspear as intermediaries they all could've come out ahead. /le sigh
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    The twilight's hammer wiped out the Dark Trolls that would be why you don't see any of them.
    Which is an excuse they just offhandedly cooked up outside of the game to help explain away their lack of in-game development or presence.

There's some concept art of them out there from Cata that would seem to suggest that they might have been involved early in Cata development (most probably in Hyjal at first, and then likely continuing into the Rise of the Zandalari patch) but got unceremoniously scrapped and written away, like so many other things do in development. (I'd still love to see a female Taunka someday, lol).

In any event, none of this changes my original point: On the matter of significant presence, Dark Trolls are doing far worse than Sand Trolls.
    Last edited by TragedyAnn; 2013-02-10 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TragedyAnn View Post
    Which is an excuse they just offhandedly cooked up outside of the game to help explain away their lack of in-game development or presence.

There's some concept art of them out there from Cata that would seem to suggest that they might have been involved early in Cata development (most probably in Hyjal at first, and then likely continuing into the Rise of the Zandalari patch) but got unceremoniously scrapped and written away, like so many other things do in development. (I'd still love to see a female Taunka someday, lol).

In any event, none of this changes my original point: On the matter of significant presence, Dark Trolls are doing far worse than Sand Trolls.
    Except for the fact that you can't have a larger presence in game or lore for a subset of a race that is no more.

Weren't there dark trolls in Darkshore before cataclysm? Either way, they're apparently extinct now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they all went off to join Zul, and whatever he's up to post-Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Maybe they all went off to join Zul, and whatever he's up to post-Cataclysm.
    They did, there's a sand troll council boss. Sul I think is his name.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, is Zul behind the mogu/troll alliance? I thought these refugees were all from the sinking of Zandalar and Zul left before that.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sand Trolls?

What about the Sand Gnomes?!

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Except for the fact that you can't have a larger presence in game or lore for a subset of a race that is no more.
    This is fictional lore, of a fictional race, on a fictional world, in a fictional universe.

There is no such thing as, "Can't"

The only reason Dark Trolls lack development is because Blizzard has neglected to give them any beyond Warcraft III, aside from off-handedly mentioning outside the game that the Twilights Hammer may (MAY) have rubbed them out.

And once again, none of this changes my overall point: If the subject of the topic is neglect toward properly developing a particular race of trolls (and it is)... Sand Trolls are still doing better than Dark Trolls.

Sand Trolls were not offhandedly and vaguely wiped out off screen, with little to no in-game presence beyond their initial introduction. :P

.... Sand trolls are in ToT and their leader Sul is even part of a raid encounter along with all the other troll kings.

How much love are you expecting? If anything the dark irons and King Thassarian deserved more love then some desert trolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    Pretty sure all the major troll tribes are represented in the council fight in throne of thunder, so that's something at least :P
    I for one don't care much, it's just another troll tribe.

And I would absolutely not want zul'farrak changed or updated. One of the few great classic dungeons left :P
    Sul the Sandcrawler (Farraki representative) is a sand troll on the council fight

Other memebers of the council fight
    Frost King Malakk (Drakkari representative) Nothrend trolls
    Kazra'jin (Amani representative) ZA trolls
    High Priestess Mar'li (Gurubashi representative) ZG trolls
    Gara'jal the Spiritbinder (Zandalari representative) Zandalari troll.
    Sul the Sandcrawler (Farraki representative) ZF troll

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Arent dark trolls supposed to be the descendants of night elves? Or something along those lines.
    other way around

10+ Year Old Account
    Thier leader/representative is a Boss in ToT, theres not much about the Sand trolls to even develop, so getting them in the raid as part of 2 encounters (council and Horridon) is enough. The Zandalari is the tribe that joined the Mogu afterall.

Following the 4.1 trailer quote : '' Its now nothing but a wasteland''. So yeah basicly the sand trolls are in a worst place than the Darkspear in terms of population, so theres really nothing much they can do apart from joining the Zandalari in trying to conquer Pandaria.
    Last edited by Shampro; 2013-02-10 at 03:56 AM.