10+ Year Old Account

New rig $750 budget

Decided its time for a brand new rig.

Budget - $750 AUD
    Resolution - 1080p
    Games / Settings Desired - Go nuts with the budget allowed, games currently played are wow, d3, crysis 2, Fallout 3, + a whole stash of steam games
    Any other intensive software or special things you do - No other real intensive applications.
    Country - Australia
    Parts that can be reused - Nothing aside from a spare copy of windows i've already invested in
    Do you need peripherals - No
    Other comments - Realistically this will only be my gaming rig for about 12 months (at most) then its going to my younger siblings for a work / gaming rig (thus why not its not getting overclocked). Will only be running a single 1080p screen on it, don't worry about ssd too much hassle (explaining to them not to write crap to it) to entrust to younger ones once I move. I'm also not against the idea of dropping the gpu back a touch and investing a bit more in a case and cooling (38c ambient temps are lame).

This is roughly what I was looking at, throw ideas off me parts will be getting ordered at the end of the month (its a birthday present to myself).
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.00 @ Foxcomp)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.00 @ Scorptec)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $724.00
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 16:42 EST+1100)

Not a bad setup, though I personally wouldn't build anything these days without the OS (at least) on an SSD. Just so, so, so much faster. I know what you said about them, but meh - if they can't be bothered to know where to put information at (Tiny drive vs. big storage drive) they prolly need to take some basic computer classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can afford it, get the SSD. If it makes you change the system due to budgeting, don't.

There is no 'hassle' with SSD's. All programs, anything installed goes on the SSD. Really the only reason you ought to have a 'storage' drive is if you have a TON of pictures, or download movies, or do video recording. There's really nothing else that takes up more than 200gb of space. And if you do those, how hard is "Move movie files to storage drive"?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair point might drop an ssd in then, its more the fact my younger siblings are 9 and 11 this year respectively (Then again once I leave it for them its not my problem). I need a new gaming rig and when I move it isn't worth taking it with me so they can keep it.
    Maybe I should stretch the friendship of the bank account and myself a bit further drop in a z77 and take it up to 3570k as well.

Pretty well pushing the budget limits with this.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.00 @ Foxcomp)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($195.00 @ Scorptec)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.00 @ Scorptec)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $998.00
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 17:55 EST+1100)

Deleted
    Noctua NH-D14 is definitely nice but if you're doing some light/medium overclocking you can save some money and get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO instead, around $35.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheers for the help, a few little tweaks and a quick numbers crunch and i've sorted it (found a mate to buy my other i3 laptop allowing me to spend a touch more [unfortunately meaning I need a new os seeing i'll have to drop an os onto a new hdd for it but still end up a bit up]).
    Here is the finalized build.

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php...ion=wish_lists

$1300 including postage and handling.

I'll be sure to post up end results of it when I build it and give it a bit of a work out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    Here is the finalized build.
    I personally feel you've got it spot on. A dollar more and you're poking into diminishing returns on any of the hardware. Any less and you start sacrificing performance for a top end gaming system.

Though, if it matters, I would personally want a larger screen, but that's more 'cosmetic' than performance. Buy as money permits.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I would ideally like a 24" screen but then I won't make the target time of my birthday, can always throw another screen onto it at a later point and keep the 21.5" as a secondary monitor. If money was more permitting the nzxt 410 would be my case choice too but can't justify sacrificing performance for it just yet, maybe down the line.

Deleted
    LG E2342V $149, doesn't look too shabby.