Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    there are addons for that.

Deleted
    Wow I can't believe they removed it. The day/night cycle made the world feel alive back in vanilla, why would you throw that away?

I hope this is brought back, do miss it was quite lovely to look at.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

15+ Year Old Account
    Gosh, I really never noticed it gone... It's stupid that it's gone though.

Quote Originally Posted by taurenburger View Post
    Gosh, I really never noticed it gone... It's stupid that it's gone though.
    It should probably be brought up that part of it is zone based.
    This like Stranglethorn, Duskwood, etc get decently dark (assuming you don't have your gamma set unusually high), while places like outland zones don't really get dark often because the light sources are always there. And some zones like the Night Elven areas are very twilight-ish, and stay decently lit because they're sort of 'magical'.

There's pretty big difference between night and day in the Storm Peaks for example, or Nagrand.

Here's a video from 2008.
    http://www.wegame.com/watch/WoW_Day_Night_Cycle/

Notice how the Barrens and Dun Morogh don't get all that darker?

And then here, in 2011:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34aokyVkBi8

You see that Thunder Bluff/WPL have quite a big difference in day/night.
    Where Swamp of Sorrows and Tanaris have almost none.

It should also be pointed out that Azeroth has two moons, and the smaller of the two, The Blue Child is pretty much as big as our (Earth's) moon. And the Pale Lady, which is brighter in color, is significantly larger.

So you're already talking about more than twice as much moonlight in game as you get in real life.

Really though a lot of it is what zone you're in.

I should mention that I'm by no means disagreeing with the idea of the more distinct night/day cycle, I'm simply pointing out a few things to keep in mind when approaching the issue.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2013-02-10 at 12:46 PM.

I remember doing quests in Redridge Mountains at the night, it was awesome.

When I started to play and when I entered Duskwood at night(at low level) I was really scared.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2013-02-10 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soratrox View Post
    It should probably be brought up that part of it is zone based.
    This like Stranglethorn, Duskwood, etc get decently dark (assuming you don't have your gamma set unusually high), while places like outland zones don't really get dark often because the light sources are always there. And some zones like the Night Elven areas are very twilight-ish, and stay decently lit because they're sort of 'magical'.

There's pretty big difference between night and day in the Storm Peaks for example, or Nagrand.

Here's a video from 2008.
    http://www.wegame.com/watch/WoW_Day_Night_Cycle/

Notice how the Barrens and Dun Morogh don't get all that darker?

And then here, in 2011:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34aokyVkBi8

You see that Thunder Bluff/WPL have quite a big difference in day/night.
    Where Swamp of Sorrows and Tanaris have almost none.

It should also be pointed out that Azeroth has two moons, and the smaller of the two, The Blue Child is pretty much as big as our (Earth's) moon. And the Pale Lady, which is brighter in color, is significantly larger.

So you're already talking about more than twice as much moonlight in game as you get in real life.

Really though a lot of it is what zone you're in.

I should mention that I'm by no means disagreeing with the idea of the more distinct night/day cycle, I'm simply pointing out a few things to keep in mind when approaching the issue.

It is quite zone dependent, but in the zones that "look" dark, check near your feet, its like you're standing in a spotlight.

Yeah this was one of the things back in Vanilla that I really liked with WoW, although I barely remember when it was removed. I think it would be great to reintroduce and I don't really get why Blizzard removed it in the first place.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

I can think of a reason why they changed it (in cataclysm I believe). If I remember correctly it was in cata that the shadows of things got a huge increase in awesomeness, also water reflections and stuff like that. In day light the sun will be so strong that shadows cast by some lantern is easily ignored. The moon however will be on par with the torches/lanterns etc. The calculations of where shadows will be and how sharp is going to be tough. Reflections on water from different light sources is also going to be a nice one.
    That said, I do hope they will bring it back as it makes for a nice atmosphere.

Yeah it's bad, it's a easy fix and only adds to the immersion and atmosphere off the game.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sildor View Post
    Yeah this was one of the things back in Vanilla that I really liked with WoW, although I barely remember when it was removed. I think it would be great to reintroduce and I don't really get why Blizzard removed it in the first place.
    It might have been accidental, it might have been a psychological thing to do with not seeing much daylight, or it might have been that the new lighting system had a flaw that no one noticed.

You can be sure of one thing though, out of everyone who's been replying to the threads, hardly any of them don't want the night back.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7zgcUtE5I seems to have a tool to make the night dark

The only thing more terrible than doing daily quests for the 86th time is not having nighttime to do them in.

It's just unbearable I tell you!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think, a good solution for those who can only play at night, is to make the cycle not sync up with real time. I've been thinking a good length for this, and IMO 3h42m day and 3h42m night would be a good fit (To be more precise this is 3.71hr or 26÷7). Not completely positive on this math but here goes. This means a full cycle would take approx 7hr25m, and each IRL day would experience 3.23 ingame cycles. If you got on at the same time every day, you would alternate between night and day while shifting over slightly. It would line up every 13 days as well instead of 14, so those who can only play on the weekend will experience a different schedule each weekend that rotates thru a cycle every 13 weeks.
    Last edited by bohapjut; 2013-02-11 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tax View Post
    Flying around in durotar atm, the sky is dark and the stars are out, but it is bright as day right now in the game. Would be nice if this game had a day night cycle, id sacrifice the artificial 24 hour day/day cycle for a 2,3 or 4 hour cycle with a real night right now. It would be more immersive than 24 daylight.
    Yeah you are right. WoW should be more realistic and fun to play with. You are playing at night and the surroundings are brighter than the spotlight. Anyways, it's a minor issue for WoW but I think they can change it anytime is that there are many issues that WoW have to check first. Right? =)

idk what game you guys are playing, things look darker to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    I thought the game did have a night? Did they take it out or something?
    They took it out long ago. Was either removed with WOTLK or Cata. Can't remember which. The fact hardly anyone seemed to have noticed it being removed says a lot about the situation. I didn't even notice myself until someone made got a blue response on the subject a couple of weeks ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Occasionally it'd be night time ingame and I vaguely remembered a time when it actually got dark... good to know that I'm not crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I think for the next expansion (or maybe this expansion's big announcement) they should give us a Day/Night Cycle with dynamic environmental effects.

Some classes could see better (Paladins, Priests, Rogues, Druids in Cat form) passively, while others would utilize lanterns to see and help. You could have NPC's that are nocturnal (animals, people, pets and such) that come out and appear at night. While the ones that are out during the day go towards camps, caves, villages and other areas like that.

I'd love to see the world change between day and night and have the geography and landscape utilized.
    They actually kinda played with something like that during the alpha.

You need to carry a torch at night or your visible range of enemies was lowered if i recalled.

As for the night cycle, it got removed turning wotlk I think, Northrend kinda has the same lighting issue. IT was removed because players only able to play at night complained that it strained their eyes. There was a very old blue post about it, but i wouldn't even begin to know how to search for it. Glad to see it might come back though, I've missed it ever since.

all i know is if its implemented again im never going back to duskwood....