Gearing up fresh warlock for 5.2. issues with pugs and getting loot.

So I just got my warlock to 90 and plan to dps for my 10man guild. So far I have lost 6 pieces of dps caster gear to different healers, mostly priests. None of these prices had spirit on them, two of which were dps daggers, four were cloth caster pieces. out of the 6, 3 claimed it was strictly for ilvl to get into lfr.

Am I just being selfish, or is that fair? I can easily need on spirit gear for item level, but I do not out of kindness. Is there a better way to gear up a fresh 90? I feel like I am really getting the short end of the stick.

Deleted
    Sorry mate but thats how it is, just keep needing on the spirit healing items and use the same excuse if they ask you why you needed. It gets easier to get appropiat spellcasting gear when you are in LFR and dont have to hassle with healers needing on +hit spellcaster gear.

If the item has hit rating on it, then it should have belonged to you. however, if it had haste/crit/mastery, it is open game IMHO. Sounds like you are getting the short end of the stick. Maybe make friends with someone in guild and run dungeons with them. We are gearing a new tank and heals right now and we usually run dungeons with them in order to make sure a pug does not take their loot. Even if you cannot get a full guild group, see if any casters would run with you. What you can do to fight back is wait on rolling on the item to see if the heals will roll need on the hit rating gear, if he/she does, have your friend roll need in order to double your chances.

Hope this info helps.

get carried by your guild of course

Why do you join these pugs if you don't like the loot rules? Deal with it, make your own groups, or join ones with different loot rules. Don't whine about it on the forums when it's a product of your own behaviour, and when you can so easily prevent it. Geeze.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Babywipes
    Is there a better way to gear up a fresh 90?
    It's not better as in cheaper or faster. But I try to skip 5 mans when gearing up alts - it just seems a lot of (potentially frustrating) work for an uncertain and low reward (blues). I craft the 476 chest and hands, a 476 DMF relic, a 463 or 476 weapon, then get 450 blues in all other slots - either crafted or from Dread Wastes quests. Do a bit of pvp for the odd piece of 458 honor gear if you like (e.g. a helm with a meta). Buy a few BoE 476 drops from the AH but don't equip them (so your later alts can use them). Then you should be at about 460 ilevel and can run MSV where no one can "steal your gear". Getting to 470 is a harder slog, but with the 496 rep items, you should be able to get there in a couple of weeks.

I do sometimes do a daily heroic but have largely skipped grinding them. (On my main, I did a weekend blitz, but on alts, it just doesn't seem worth it).

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Why do you join these pugs if you don't like the loot rules? Deal with it, make your own groups, or join ones with different loot rules. Don't whine about it on the forums when it's a product of your own behaviour, and when you can so easily prevent it. Geeze.
    this whole thread obviously flew way over your head

This is the nature of lfd. They get the same chance to roll as you, regardless of whether you feel you deserved it more. Until you win the roll, none of the loot is yours. If you want a better chance at getting the gear run with your guild. They should be willing to help you gear if you are filling a dps spot for them.

Otherwise your best bet is to remember that no matter how much you want the loot, it is not yours until you win the roll. Do scenarios while you wait for your dungeon queue to pop and you can pretty much non-stop farm instances until you get bored or get all the gear you want.

I do agree that it is frustrating when I want an item and lose the roll. You just got to hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by darqhur View Post
    This is the nature of lfd. They get the same chance to roll as you, regardless of whether you feel you deserved it more. Until you win the roll, none of the loot is yours. If you want a better chance at getting the gear run with your guild. They should be willing to help you gear if you are filling a dps spot for them.

Otherwise your best bet is to remember that no matter how much you want the loot, it is not yours until you win the roll. Do scenarios while you wait for your dungeon queue to pop and you can pretty much non-stop farm instances until you get bored or get all the gear you want.

I do agree that it is frustrating when I want an item and lose the roll. You just got to hang in there.
    do not mind losing loot, I mind losing something I can use that somebody else does not benefit from other than taking it to sit in a bag for I level. I could do that with spirit gear if I wanted, but I do not

Quote Originally Posted by topapagaramonde View Post
    What you can do to fight back is wait on rolling on the item to see if the heals will roll need on the hit rating gear, if he/she does, have your friend roll need in order to double your chances.

Hope this info helps.
    Try this - I queued with my pally tank friend this weekend and had him roll on trinkets, rings and neck slots whenever something dropped that i could use. He won them all and just passed them across.

When checking the rolls afterwards it turned out I could have just solo rolled and got them anyway but better to be safe than sorry. I geared up my full pvp geared lock into 2 bits short of full pve this weekend - Just missing shoulders and back which DID get nabbed by people healers! All I'm missing now is 1-2% hit and these last 2 bits will get me capped!

Already got to 4.7k haste

just need on everything. chances are some1 else will do it. might as well be u getting the benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babywipes View Post
    So I just got my warlock to 90 and plan to dps for my 10man guild. So far I have lost 6 pieces of dps caster gear to different healers, mostly priests. None of these prices had spirit on them, two of which were dps daggers, four were cloth caster pieces. out of the 6, 3 claimed it was strictly for ilvl to get into lfr.

Am I just being selfish, or is that fair? I can easily need on spirit gear for item level, but I do not out of kindness. Is there a better way to gear up a fresh 90? I feel like I am really getting the short end of the stick.
    That's the price of changing mains right before a patch. And just because a piece of gear doesn't have spirit on it doesn't mean it's garbage for healers. The holy pally tier legs don't even have spirit on them. And that's tier.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The same thing has happened to me countless times in LFD. First of all the item you want has to drop and then you have to win the roll. Easier said than done.

Funds allowing, the suggestion from econ21 is probably the best route.

Deleted
    There is always a chance of encountering dicks in lfd, i never roll on dps gear as a priest but i got healing gear stolen by dps and tanks on some occasions too, especially trinkets.