Thread: CISPA is back

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It's not the privacy, it's the control.

Is there a full document / pdf or whatever on the actual text, I wanna see.
    Found this, not sure if it's the full text:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...2hr3523rfs.pdf

On-topic,

The only thing I get offended by is actions that do or proposals that would violate mine or other people's rights. Greatly offended I am indeed, and I knew this bill would come back in an ever more terrifying form, tweaked just enough that businesses would get on board.

Which brings me to my next point. A violation of one right is a threat to them all if left unchecked, because the underlying principles behind each are the same: that free peoples should be able to do as they please as long as they don't interfere with other folks' rights. Needless to say, people, this time I think we will be standing on our own. Start calling your reps and writing them letters, and emails, and be professional about it.
    Last edited by Dillon; 2013-02-10 at 08:46 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Can't find my tin foil hat, dang.

Infracted: Please refrain from posting in a way that doesn't add anything to the discussion.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-12 at 08:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mindp View Post
    Can't find my tin foil hat, dang.
    Is this not bannable? I am sick of these posts. Do not have anything constructive, stfu.

The only good thing about these heinous bills is that they piss off people in all arenas. But ya, it does seem like this time they will have more corporate support, which is scary.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-12 at 08:37 PM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    think its safe to say we can blame anonymous for this being back so soon.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    think its safe to say we can blame anonymous for this being back so soon.....
    I had a feeling that something would surface after their little stunt.

Government can be changed in two ways: through lobbying elected officials or through force. What Anonymous did was neither, and though I supported their reasons, messing with the front-end of a marginal government website is pointless and only gives enemies of freedom more ammunition to use.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Roose;20171749]Is this not bannable? I am sick of these posts. Do not have anything constructive, stfu.

How is your post constructive telling me to "STFU"? Lets see, if you disagree with someone, you call them names and ask them to be banned?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    Why can't you get these morons out of your government, that's the will of the people.
    Because too many lazy assholes just vote in the same damn person all the time.

This is why I'm for term limits for congress, but that'll never happen.
    Putin khuliyo

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aw hell no.

Not again...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Quick question, does this bill still affect every internet user or just american ones?
    This is the kind of thing they will use to legitamize attempts at doing this in other countries. They'll point to the US version and say, "if they can do it we can too!". It's really quiet disgusting. And as has been said, the stripping away of our rights is happening more and more everyday. It's easy to pull one over on the masses who don't get educated when you can say things are being done under the guise of safety or some such nonsense. Hopefully people open their eyes and stand up, because to much more and if you even think about voicing your opinion on these things and you'll be getting a visit from the police or some other agency.

Deleted
    Yea, doubt there will be any assistance from internet companies like google etc. Wish they'd just give these idiotic laws a rest but yeah, where there's money involved...

We, the people, don't want this bill passed.

But they, the politicians, don't give a shit. And there isn't much we can do about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    We, the people, don't want this bill passed.

But they, the politicians, don't give a shit. And there isn't much we can do about it.
    no its just that each politician is backed by a different set of corporations now. and the people merely vote for which corporations they want to be represented for their state senate/house seat.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haftepaff View Post
    It actually feels like they view us as terrorists when they're suggesting bills like SOPA, ACTA and CISPA, depressing isn't it?
    I know right.

One reason i just wish we could get a ban on anyone over 35 running IF that old..Even for just 1-2 cycles. Hell EARLY 20s would be hilarious...Lobbyists wouldn't know what to bribe em with LOL.

Is this the same CISPA that only sets up guidelines to how Private Institutions and Government Entities are to share information back and forth when required, or is this something else? I'm feeling lazy and don't want to dig into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Is this the same CISPA that only sets up guidelines to how Private Institutions and Government Entities are to share information back and forth when required, or is this something else? I'm feeling lazy and don't want to dig into it.
    Yep. Except now they removed any possible incentives that companies might have for trying to stop it. The average guy still gets fucked though.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    Why can't you get these morons out of your government, that's the will of the people.
    Because some Americans are too stupid to vote. They simply look for the "R" or the "D" next to the candidate's name and that's how they decide to vote.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Because too many lazy assholes just vote in the same damn person all the time.

This is why I'm for term limits for congress, but that'll never happen.
    I agree with this although you should know people don't actually vote them in and that's the catch. If only half as much people were obsessed with the evils of legislative power as they are with the executive then the country would be in a much better place.

The US isn't a democracy, it's an Oligarchy and anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Because some Americans are too stupid to vote. They simply look for the "R" or the "D" next to the candidate's name and that's how they decide to vote.
    Actually not very many people vote at all, and there are quite a few who do vote by party, and most of those are one issue voters anyway. /sigh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, crap...

Here we go again....

This has been shot down enough already. This shit keeps coming around and around.... They need to get a fuckin clue.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Found some info on what CISPA may actually mean;

1. Immunity: CISPA offers "good faith" immunity to companies that identify and report a cyber-security issue to the feds. But, the EFF argued, the definition of good faith is very vague, "which is likely to make difficult any attempt at litigating against companies" that might put your data at risk. During a floor debate this week, Rep. Jared Polis suggested that CISPA incentivizes companies to hand over any and all data just to secure this immunity.

2. Military, NSA Access to Data: Detrators fear that CISPA will allow for companies to hand over data to any branch of the government - including the military and the National Security Agency. In objecting to the bill this week, the White House argued that CISPA "effectively treats domestic cybersecurity as an intelligence activity and thus, significantly departs from longstanding efforts to treat the Internet and cyberspace as civilian spheres." Instead, the Department of Homeland Security, the administration said, should play a "central role" in cyber-security issues. In attempting to address this issue, the House approved an amendment that calls on the Inspector General in his required report about CISPA to list "all federal agencies receiving information shared with the government," but it doesn't expressly stop agencies like the NSA from viewing the data.

3. Just the Beginning: Though bill sponsors argue that they have no nefarious intentions with CISPA, opponents are mainly concerned with its unintended consequences. As ACLU legislative counsel Michelle Richardson argued last night, "once the government gets expansive national security authorities, there's no going back." In its statement, the Center for Democracy and Technology (CDT) said it was concerned that CISPA does not address the use of data "for national security purposes unrelated to cybersecurity."

4. Bypassing Existing Laws: A common theme on the House floor and in CISPA-related statements from privacy groups is that the bill overrides privacy, wiretap, and surveillance laws that are already on the books. "Without clear legal protections and independent oversight, information sharing legislation will undermine the public's trust in the Government as well as in the Internet by undermining fundamental privacy, confidentiality, civil liberties, and consumer protections," the White House said.

5. GOP Ignoring Amendments: Members of Congress opposed to CISPA have complained that House leadership did not allow votes on amendments that would have addressed some of their concerns. "Such momentous issues deserved a vote of the full House," CDT argued. During a floor debate yesterday, however, Rep. Richard Nugent said that the process was "a perfect example of how this House is supposed to work," while other supporters noted that CISPA was passed out of committee with a vote of 17 to 1.

source