Why are bg teams so bad?!

Okay, so... I realize that yes... I'm that guy posting about random BG's. But... this seriously confuses me.

Why is everyone so bad in random BG's? I realize that yes, it's random. I realize that some people running them are still gearing up, so you're bound to see people in pve armor. I also realize that there are people botting BG's, and try as they might, Blizz doesn't seem to be doing all that much about it. But none of those should be game-breaking if the players are actually motivated to win.

Why do so few seem to know how to play them? I mean... It doesn't require a premade team to know that you're supposed to fight on bases, or to know when to cap the flag, etc etc. Do players just not know/not care to learn/not care who wins or what?

most players have a mix of things going for them: denial of lack of self "skill", just don't care about objectives and/or laziness, and so forth. This of course is the typical under geared character or botters/afk leechers

I agree, but these same people queue up for LFR with much less detriment to the rest of the party, yes? I mean, when people zone in to an LFR party, they either know the fights, or they don't... and if they don't, they're usually willing to learn. Those that won't listen/don't care are usually kicked in my experience. Why does the same willingness to contribute not carry over to pvp?

Deleted
    It's a side-effect of blizzard lowering the bar of performance required to succeed in the game, since wotlk the bar has consistently been lowered leading to an influx of players that don't have to put much effort into anything to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Realitysucks View Post
    It's a side-effect of blizzard lowering the bar of performance required to succeed in the game, since wotlk the bar has consistently been lowered leading to an influx of players that don't have to put much effort into anything to succeed.
    No it's not. Horrible battlegrounds has been around since they existed. It's just what happens when you throw 10 to 40 random people together with any gear, any skill level and questionable motivation levels. Also many people see BG's as an individual thing, where by they do whatever they want.

It's the roll of the dice, sometimes you get the 12 year old who just wants to shoot things with his hunter and doesn't care about objectives. Sometimes you will get the High school student who just wants to grief others. Sometimes you'll get the PVP heroes who just want to fight in mid and don't really care about winning. Occasionally you will get a team of full of people who are focused on the objective. For every terrible BG I have been in, it generally is balanced out by every good one. The way the human mind works just makes it seem like there are more bad than good.

In reality it would just be like have a relay race where you team is randomly pulled from a cross section of society. Sometimes you will get the IT guy, Joe from accounting and the Mentally handicapped janitor. Other times you'll get paired up with the Soldier, the Athlete and the Amateur sprinter.

Deleted
    A combination of several things I'd say.

First off, a lot of people don't play random BGs to win, they play them to have fun, two very different things. For example, winning might require standing at the farm watching a flag for 10 minutes straight without anything happening at all. Unless you need the honor it's not that attractive, and some players would rather go do some 1v1/random fighting somewhere else. This also applies to WSG and TP, where if all you want is the fun, fighting people in the middle might be more fun than going for the FC.

Secondly, the lack of communication is an obvious reason. Often you see groups of 5 people overrun and capture a base, and then collectively run away from the base leaving it
    undefended. Do they think "somebody else will do it" or feel that they are too important elsewhere? I don't know, but it happens in almost every BG where defending is an objective. In addition, no vocal communication means you'll have to report incomings in the chat window, and when people are busy fighting they probably do not read the chat. This means even if you do have one or two defenders at a base they'll most likely lose the base before help can arrive.

Thirdly, bad luck with grouping. Every now and then you are put in groups where your team has 3 bots, 2 guys who just hit 90 and 0 healer. The opposit team on the other hand sits on 3 healers, pretty good gear and even a dedicated tank.

There are probably more reasons but these are the ones I can think of right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    the reason i can come up with is that they actully want too PvP O_o sitting afk at a base in AB half the BG isent fun, i have done like 5 BG's since MoP came so but still that would be my reason wouldent care one bit about winning/loosing tbh, just want to do my PvP, also many are BoTs dono how smart those programs are but dont think they care for the BG objective

Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    the reason i can come up with is that they actully want too PvP O_o sitting afk at a base in AB half the BG isent fun, i have done like 5 BG's since MoP came so but still that would be my reason wouldent care one bit about winning/loosing tbh, just want to do my PvP, also many are BoTs dono how smart those programs are but dont think they care for the BG objective
    Also if you are anything like me you haven't needed Honor gear for a good loooong while now. So when you PvP, you just want to melt some faces...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    Also if you are anything like me you haven't needed Honor gear for a good loooong while now. So when you PvP, you just want to melt some faces...
    y exactly my point, PvP = PvP not player vs some NPC boss, flag or base =P

arena for 10-40 people would be fun <3 total chaos xD

Quote Originally Posted by jishk View Post
    I agree, but these same people queue up for LFR with much less detriment to the rest of the party, yes?
    LFR is learned faster than BG strategy. Bosses have predictable abilities you can learn to react to in a few tries. You need to play a BG many times before you know what matters most, and how everything is likely to play out.

LFR bosses are designed to tolerate lots of people not executing the mechanics. They are built to be forgiving, even if half the raid screws up.

The problem in random battlegrounds is not the people, it's how they are distributed by the queueing system. Time and time again, I've seen the random BG matchmaking system create groups where the result is a foregone conclusion.

Suppose you have a 10 man flag carrying battleground where one side has 4 decently geared healers, and the other side has none. What's going to happen?

Suppose you have a 10 man battleground where one side has 1 healer and 5 undergeared people, and the other side has 2 healers and 1 undergeared person. What's going to happen?

Blizzard says their matchmaking system isn't strict to reduce queue times, but I would much rather wait a while in the queue, than join a battleground where in most cases, the result is decided before the gates open.

Mostly because people don't care about winning/don't work together toward the same cause.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy

Deleted
    I agree with the already given reasons but want to add this; Healers..... Or lack of healers.

I don't PvP much and only to have some fun. I don't enjoy Arena and after reaching like 1700 RBG rating, I was told that my class sucked too much (Feral). So I do a bit of Randomg BG on my characters. I'd say that 8/10 times lack of healers is an issue. I was in Gilneas where Alliance had 5 healers and my own team had none. So hard to win BG's without a single freaking healer, if the opposite team has several. Quite often a few healers can make up for mediocre or bad players.

And sometimes you just get a group full of retards....... Don't play during the weekend or late night. Weekend brings out a lot of shitty players and late night brings out all the bots. By now I just stopped caring tbh. Tried my luck 5 times in a row to win a BG on an alt today, raged at the retards and just logged out.

Quote Originally Posted by Makanprakan View Post
    A combination of several things I'd say.
    For example, winning might require standing at the farm watching a flag for 10 minutes straight without anything happening at all.
    Problem with this example is: People see your dot on the map isn't moving much/see your damage/healing and killing blows on the scoreboard isn't high. They generally mark you as AFK and forcing you to move out, then after they complain when the base is taken. It has happened quite alot to me, and that's even an understatement.

When such things happen you generally start to care less for objectives in a battleground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotjuice View Post
    Mostly because people don't care about winning/don't work together toward the same cause.
    This. I often think most people inn random BG's just dont give a fuck at all. Hope they on the clearly better team, if not they just zerg or w/e.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Stealth at BS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    Not a good excuse actually. Yes you can zerg in the middle of nowhere, but being at certain points actually ensures MORE pvp then just running around like a chicken who's head was cut off or at least as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    I'm in fully epic 391 elite gear and I still play BG's to actually win. If you just want to melt some faces, how about just going to some daily quest zone and killing PvE people instead of ruining battlegrounds?

as long as i get my HKs

Deleted
    New players? Freshly dinged lvl 90s so they will have bad gear? Bots.

Deleted
    I`m verry happy when i enter in Random BG and check mine team seeing that ppl wearing quest green weapons.This just ...cant explain the feeling about these persons
    And ofc to be more interesting all allis will be full pvp geared with 3-5 healers and voala 10-15 mins i stay somewhere in shadows waiting masscare on your GY to over
    Then i enter look the gear cool we got 5-6 Male geared persons yes wont stay at mine GY for free honor checking allis cool they wear pve gear easy preys.And guess what all male geared from your team are carebears who enter to gank some allis and rest of the team are even worst to try using that to complete the objectives till field is empty.And i just watching how some alli start to run with your flag ofc as i selfrespected BG player i start to chase it but guess what some healer shows from somewhere and start heal it and tata they cap the flag

Things like that happens 9 of 10 BGs where i enter.
    Just to say i`m not very PvP person just doing Randoms for fun and to have some gear coz after all i playing on PvP realm.But things like that really dissapoint me

I got only one good day with positive win/loss ratio and was in silvershard mines most because allis was pve geared folks trying to complete the legendary quest.Spaming in chat "lets screw their quest" works prety fine on your team to not going to fight at middle and out of cars circles
    Last edited by mmoc2b5ad7a33a; 2013-02-12 at 02:18 AM.