Next Expansion Idea (Customizable Spell at Max Lvl)!

So I was thinking..

Suppose in the next expac, when we hit max level, 95 or 100, instead of a whole new talent tier added, the final tier would be a single slot where you are given an interface to make ONE customizable spell. In this interface you are able to pic the icon for the spell, and make the name, permitting blizzards censorship restrictions. This spell can also be reset and remade from scratch, extinguishing all locked Spell Runes etc.

Now upon reaching max level and having this feature unlocked you have to:

1. Do a prerequisite quest called "Spellbinding" or something, where you do a solo scenario, not too difficult.

2. Once you obtain a passive ability called "Spellbinding" from completing the scenario and quest, you are able to start molding your customizable spell.

3. Now, every class will have 3 slots for the spell, a Power, Utility, and Support slot. Now, these slots are optional, BUT you must pick at least one. The more slots you use, there is a longer cool down/more resource (mana/energy/rage) cost.

3a) These slots that can be filled with "Spell Runes"

What are Spell Runes? A new profession called Spell-weaving, or maybe a new branch of Inscription, would be added. They create class specific Spell Runes. They also are usable based off of your role (DPS, Tank, Healer).

Now say I am a warrior and I want to fill out my Power slot with a spell rune, I would go to the auction house and look for Power Spell Runes.

An example one would be;

[Power Spell Rune of Annihilation] ; Strike your opponent with reckless abandon, dealing 185% weapon damage.

Now that I have my Power slot filled with that, I will opt to fill my Utility slot now

[Utility Spell Rune of No Escape]; Target's movement speed reduced by 50% for 10 sec.
    or [Utility Spell Rune of Ferocious Power] Add's + 5420 damage to 185% weapon damage.

By choosing to add this slot, my rage cost is increased from 20 rage to 35.

Now I am going to add a Support slot.

[Support Spell Rune of Maniacal Rage]; 20% Chance to enrage you.
    or it could heal,
    [Support Spell Rune of Flesh Wounds] Heal yourself for 15% of your hp over 3 sec.

This will increase the spell's cooldown from 10 to 15 sec for the maniacal rage rune.
    However, picking the Flesh Wound rune it increases from 10 sec to 45 sec.

The final spells tooltip would be; "Strike your opponent with reckless abandon, dealing 185% weapon damage (+5420 If you choose Ferocious Power), slowing them by 50% for 10 sec. Has a 20% chance to enrage you."

This is purely an example of how it could be played out, and I disregarded the spells a warrior currently have, this is just an EXAMPLE. It could add more diversity to each person based on their play style I think and if Blizz were to approach it with adding TONS of spell runes it would be pretty cool I think. Obviously there would be many balancing issues to be had, plus GCD problems etc. Post your opinions or ideas!

edit 1 - For balancing issues blizz could;

"You could use a polygon or pentagram or w/e, if you remember the stats distributions from the old pokemon games. Basically spending a certain amount of a certain value allows you less of another one. It would be essentially like item level but for a spell." - Raybourne
    Last edited by AyuZ; 2013-02-11 at 04:11 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting idea, but how would blizzard be able to monitor and manage this ability? I mean, if someone came up with some combo which was really powerful? It would be too complicated for the average user.

I think while developing it would be a system that goes through rigorous testing in a beta phase too weed out imbalances etc. Also, maybe the prerequisite quest would explain all components, or I'm sure blizz can add a tutorial UI, as they have with the Pet Battles system and new Talen System! Just think of the possibilites though..

A Holy paladin making a spell that;

Power
    Strike an opponent, dealing 275% weapon damage as holy damage, always critical. No cooldown, using spell again will heal target for the damage done over 6 sec, then incurs cool down.
    Utility
    Increases holy damage target takes by 30%, lasts 1 min. Undispellable, max 5 stacks.

30 sec cool down.
    Last edited by AyuZ; 2013-02-11 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Interesting idea, but how would blizzard be able to monitor and manage this ability? I mean, if someone came up with some combo which was really powerful? It would be too complicated for the average user.
    You could use a polygon or pentagram or w/e, if you remember the stats distributions from the old pokemon games. Basically spending a certain amount of a certain value allows you less of another one. It would be essentially like item level but for a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You could use a polygon or pentagram or w/e, if you remember the stats distributions from the old pokemon games. Basically spending a certain amount of a certain value allows you less of another one. It would be essentially like item level but for a spell.
    Very good deduction of how to handle it, that would make this idea very possible and feasible.

It's a good idea though =) hope they will grant your suggestions.. plus there are some bugs that should fix first before doing some changes in the game. But it sooo nice to see some changes and to fix the bugs as well at the same time. right?

Here's a spell I'd have made. Telekinetic bomb - teleports your enemy 20 yards upward and slams him to the ground dealing damage and applying Slow. The unstable arcane energy explodes upon impact knocking back every enemy in 10 yard radius. Arcane spell. 2 second cast, 30 second cd.

Making your own spells was the worst thing about Oblivion, I would hate to see what it does to balance in an MMO.

hmm for my shaman? maybe another monbility CD. and when lava burst is on CD nature damage is increased 20%. this wouldnt be OP and would the the much needed buff elemental needs to hang in there with every other class for damage.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

10+ Year Old Account
    They might as well have a talent tree. All that will happen is people make one or two that are far better then any anyone else has made and every half decent player will copy it and everyone will end up using the same one just like the talent tree ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Making your own spells was the worst thing about Oblivion, I would hate to see what it does to balance in an MMO.
    Come on 1000 meter fireballs that hit for 10k damage were not OP at all!
    Aye mate