Becareful updating you Radeon HD series users!

Applies only to Radeon HD 5700 users indefinitely, or possibly all Radeon HD series cards.

I just went to log into WoW and a prompt came up from Blizzard suggesting that my video card version was out of date, and that I may experience some in-game graphic difficulties, and in order to resolve it I should update my graphics card.

Followed the prompted directions and I went to AMD website to update my drivers. After clicking to install the download, it began update the current ATI Catalyst Control Center, which is the graphics cards setting. In the midst if the update, the computer BSOD'd, upon booting, post took twice as long and resolution was all screwy, only allowing for 1500X1240 max settings.

Couldn't undo the download and do a System Restore.

Save yourself a headache and don't update.

Specs:
    - Phenom II X4 965BE
    - Corsair H60
    - ASUS M5A97
    - 16GB Ripjaw
    - Windows 7 Professional

Could be only your systems problems, it isually is.
    Did you clear the old ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Could be only your systems problems, it isually is.
    Did you clear the old ones?
    Could you elaborate a bit? What does it mean to "clear the old ones?"

I have a Radeon 4800 series video card and try as I might, i can't ever seem to get the driver updated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Never heard of a prompt coming up from blizzard.

Might want to run a virus scan.

These drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista64.aspx* 64bit
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista32.aspx *32bit

Work perfectly fine. Uninstall your current ones by uninstalling AMD CCC and yes if it asks about drivers.

Use CCleaner to tidy up your registry and old AMD folder (as technically nothing should exist in there) then install the new ones.
    Last edited by Yohassakura; 2013-02-11 at 06:01 AM.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

i just had the same thing happen last night! had to system restore as well. WoW said my HD Radeon 5780 was out of date. went to ati downloaded the same thing BSOD'd and it wrecked my resolution and i couldn't fix it.

Had that same thing pop up, good thing I'm lazy because I said screw that. And seeing how that's never happened before, I def didn't wanna do it.

WoW said my Radeon 5650 was out of date too. I think it's an AMD issue, because my drivers have been acting wonky. I usually use the Radeon HD one on the website but then it reverted to an ATI 5000 series driver. Had to re-download my old driver just to get WoW to tell me that my drivers were up to date.

Deleted
    We had a talk about video cards yesterday on team speak with my team and same thing happened to 2 players that using nvidia ... i use ATI HD 7XXXX no problems so far

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Never heard of a prompt coming up from blizzard.

Might want to run a virus scan.

These drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista64.aspx* 64bit
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista32.aspx *32bit

Work perfectly fine. Uninstall your current ones by uninstalling AMD CCC and yes if it asks about drivers.

Use CCleaner to tidy up your registry and old AMD folder (as technically nothing should exist in there) then install the new ones.
    You said to uninstall my current ones then reinstall the new one but when I uninstall the old ones isnt the video card going to... not work at all and give me no display...?

Confused how exactly TO uninstall the old drivers which are allowing for video display in order allow for the new ones to be downloaded, its like saying "hey we need information from the prisoner. go kill him then see if you can get him to talk"... ya know what I mean?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope,because you don't need drivers for display,you need them to play games properly and adjust the settings.You can still use your computer without your drivers,its just gonna be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Palcica View Post
    Nope,because you don't need drivers for display,you need them to play games properly and adjust the settings.You can still use your computer without your drivers,its just gonna be stupid.
    Ok, so should I use a mirror site or just go back to the site that messed up my computer and install once my old ones are gone?

Uninstall the old drivers. Make sure they are gone.

Reboot the computer. It will now be in 480*640 or some equally obnoxious resolution and desktop icons will be massive.

Go to the AMD website. Find the drivers page, enter the data requested (type of graphics, brand, series, OS). It will take you to the CCC version 13.1 page. Click on the "Previous Drivers" link. Here is a direct link (Radeon HD 5000 series, Windows 7 64 bit): http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista64.aspx

There is a list of all the drivers released in the last 4 years. Take something like 12.8, that was a nice stable version if you cannot find the version you had installed previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    You said to uninstall my current ones then reinstall the new one but when I uninstall the old ones isnt the video card going to... not work at all and give me no display...?

Confused how exactly TO uninstall the old drivers which are allowing for video display in order allow for the new ones to be downloaded, its like saying "hey we need information from the prisoner. go kill him then see if you can get him to talk"... ya know what I mean?
    1.) Download the drivers (Might want to save to desktop)

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista64.aspx* 64bit Windows Vista, 7 or 8
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista32.aspx *32bit Windows Vista, 7 or 8

2.)

^ Click for full size.

3.) Restart your computer.

4.) Run CCleaner "Cleaner" and "Registry" modes.

5.) Install downloaded drivers
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Thanks for the tutorial, Yohassakura. I found it extremely helpful, and I'm sure others did, too.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My gf's machine had this prompt yesterday when launching wow. Updated without any problems.

Deleted
    I got that: "Out of date graphics card drivers" message yesterday aswell... And i'm on a laptop

Were you updating to the 13.1 drivers from the 12.X drivers?