Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    Mes hommages. And by the way Xanjori, Lysah is a beautiful women.
    De même.

*insert token english blah blah not to get banned*
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by Museigen View Post
    The thing about "Better safe then sorry" is that, in this particular case, it's only being applied in the sense of sexual assault. If safe is your approach, you need to fear other things that may harm you that aren't just rape, a female may happen to pull a gun and mug you. You should also be terrified in public places of diseases to a point of germ-o-phobia. However, in any of the feminists I've met, this is not the case. They don't fear disease, lightning strikes or violent crime (not sexually related) anywhere near as much as a random person raping them. When you look at the statistics by sexual assault information organizations, some 73% of rape is done by someone the victim is at least acquainted with.

Rape is horrible, and rape is far more often man forcing on woman than the other way around, I get that. However fearing it to a level of paranoia while blissfully ignoring potentially life threatening other things, that are statistically more likely to happen, based on the gender of a random person seems pretty crazy to me. Non sexual violent crime is far more likely, and in America the largest offenders based on race are African Americans. By the safe approach I should assume very single African American person is going to pull a weapon and mug me. See where this goes when you apply it to things beyond sexual assault?

To each their own, I'm not trying to offend anyone, only trying to get people to apply their logic in other situations so they can see what it sounds like beyond the one particular case they are very emotional about.

http://www.rainn.org/get-information...ault-offenders <- Source for the 73%
    I agree with the "better safe than sorry" explanation. If you think about it, even when we were growing up our parents would tell us not to associate ourselves with strangers. They may be dangerous and "bring us to harm". I guess it also sticks with us as we grow up. This is true not only for the women but also for men. We learned the need to become conscious of possible dangers in the environment like a solitary figure that has been following you as you are walking home.

That.. or maybe we have all learned to become paranoid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well obviously we can do private messages over chat here >.>

Either way
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    And if men do the same they are racist

If you are allowed to call me racist because i too want to minimize risk by avoiding the ones who do the majority of violent crimes then i have the right to call you a sexist for doing the same
    i dont think anyone has suggested avoiding men, just avoiding putting oneself in a vulnerable position. it works equally well for men and women. how often you want to violate your safety is up to ones own personal judgement.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Well obviously we can do private messages over chat here >.>

Either way
    Yes but it's so much more fun to end this hobbit style with a peaceful lock.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    i dont think anyone has suggested avoiding men, just avoiding putting oneself in a vulnerable position. it works equally well for men and women. how often you want to violate your safety is up to ones own personal judgement.
    No people specifically said living in fear of men.

Which is exactly the same as being afraid of black people in a "ghetto" type area.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post

Which is exactly the same as being afraid of black people in a "ghetto" type area.
    Damn you Choptimus for fueling the flames.

Successfully I might add.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Yes but it's so much more fun to end this hobbit style with a peaceful lock.

That would require writing a giant ass novel about this debate then sail off to a different country with Elves.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Damn you Choptimus for fueling the flames.

Successfully I might add.
    I'm not fueling the flames, he added a great point that I hadn't thought of and it actually made me question my perspective on this whole thing.

I was wondering if anybody else felt the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    With a certain persons (Which shall not be namned)"demise" we reached a point of complete understanding and agreement. There simply isn't anything to discuss that hasn't already been discussed. This is how all threads should end, in friendship and laughter.
    I'm not sure I agree there was ever anything to discuss. The question of the OP was answered promptly; everything following that has just been people arguing because people need to argue. I must say, I haven't seen anyone "win" in this thread, yet. Both "sides" conveniently ignore the main selling points of the other "side," a pretty common strategy and the reason I don't really participate anymore.

If the thread was more along the lines of "why do we live in a society where women feel it is necessary to be afraid?" then I believe we might have some interesting discussion. The answer to that question is not really definitive and most people here don't know enough about sociology to really do more than guess. I believe the question "why are women so afraid?" has a very simple and straightforward answer, though.

Also, Xanj was just setting you up since he knows I'm a man-hating lesbian.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2013-02-12 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post

no its more like being afraid of black people because theyre black. which is pretty silly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    That would require writing a giant ass novel about this debate then sail off to a different country with Elves.
    Yes that sound great, time to get to work Aeluron. PM me when you're done. So I can sail away... with elves!

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 05:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I'm not sure I agree there was ever anything to discuss. The question of the OP was answered promptly; everything following that has just been people arguing because people need to argue. I must say, I haven't seen anyone "win" in this thread, yet. Both "sides" conveniently ignore the main selling points of the other "side," a pretty common strategy and the reason I don't really participate anymore.

If the thread was more along the lines of "why do we live in a society where women feel it is necessary to be afraid?" then I believe we might have some interesting discussion. The answer to that question is not really definitive and most people here don't know enough about sociology to really do more than guess. I believe the question "why are women so afraid?" has a very simple and straightforward answer, though.

Great, and I thought I was a wonderful person...
    Last edited by Arganis; 2013-02-12 at 04:48 AM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

If I was a woman, well, I'm not a woman. But I have 1 sister and a mother. You want to know what real chivalry is? You'll have to show respect...

Deleted
    I'm not sure I agree there was ever anything to discuss....-If the thread was more along the lines of "why do we live in a society where women feel it is necessary to be afraid?" then I believe we might have some interesting discussion.
    Perhaps there wasn't. Myself wasn't here from the beginning, I jumped in when the *What motivates rape*discussion started. As we pretty much came to a philosophical agreement on that point we moved on to chatting. And yes, such a thread would probably be interesting and allow for a wider area of discussion.

No way, did he? I didn't see that one coming

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    If I'm walking down the street at night and see a minority male and i cross the street to avoid them but don't do the same for a white male you will call me a racist
    If a women is walking down the street at night and they cross the street to avoid a male but doesn't do the same if it is a female then they are sexist

Better to bring a picket knife camping and not need it, than to need a pocket knight while camping and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    If I'm walking down the street at night and see a minority male and i cross the street to avoid them but don't do the same for a white male you will call me a racist
    If a women is walking down the street at night and they cross the street to avoid a male but doesn't do the same if it is a female then they are sexist
    id call you stupid for not crossing the street for both males, and rude for not doing it to the female.
    but yes being cautious about rapists is exactly like being a racist. no woman should ever take precautions because thats sexist. or maybe its okay to be racist since women are cautious about rapists?

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Perhaps there wasn't. Myself wasn't here from the beginning, I jumped in when the *What motivates rape*discussion started. As we pretty much came to a philosophical agreement on that point we moved on to chatting. And yes, such a thread would probably be interesting and allow for a wider area of discussion.
    We don't know enough about the human brain at this point to make a definite answer, so discussing it is still just a big guessing game. A philosophical agreement is fine, that's about all we can do at this point in understanding, but it shouldn't be how we decide a question like that. I could argue that anyone who commits rape is mentally unstable in some manner and deserves to be treated as a victim of his own mind, rather than a criminal. But plenty of people would get upset at that thought. At the same time, if we ever excuse a criminal because "he has a mental disorder" we open up the "insanity plea" to every rapist in the world and no one will ever be accountable for their actions.

But this is already branching out to a much broader topic, as you can see. Is crime ever the perpetrator's fault? Do "bad people" even exist? Do we have free will at all? None of these questions are questions humanity is remotely close to answering, in my opinion. Until they are, the justice system is more of a damage control unit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well unless this thread is locked soon, I don't thing anybody is going to get to sail way... with evles! But my brain is turning into complete mush, so I'm going to make my fourth attempt at sailing away alone.... without elves.

On that note time to craaaash and buuuuuurn. Besides Aeluron isn't throwing one liners at me anymore, so this thread has lost all it's appeal.

We don't know enough about the human brain at this point to make a definite answer, so discussing it is still just a big guessing game. A philosophical agreement is fine, that's about all we can do at this point in understanding, but it shouldn't be how we decide a question like that. I could argue that anyone who commits rape is mentally unstable in some manner and deserves to be treated as a victim of his own mind, rather than a criminal. But plenty of people would get upset at that thought. At the same time, if we ever excuse a criminal because "he has a mental disorder" we open up the "insanity plea" to every rapist in the world and no one will ever be accountable for their actions.

But this is already branching out to a much broader topic, as you can see. Is crime ever the perpetrator's fault? Do "bad people" even exist? Do we have free will at all? None of these questions are questions humanity is remotely close to answering, in my opinion. Until they are, the justice system is more of a damage control unit.
    You expect entirely too much of the people on this forum. I mean I don't think MMO champ is really a good place to delve into such depth because the average person here just isn't mature enough. There's other places for that tough.

Ok.... Zzzzzz
    Last edited by Arganis; 2013-02-12 at 05:02 AM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Lysah, you're impressive. I like you.

Do you remember her?
    Yes, (Oliver said)
    She's gone
    I know (Oliver said)
    She will fuck you up
    I know (Oliver said)

well...

Infracted: Please refrain from posting off topic.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-12 at 08:48 PM.