Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Engineering from 1 to 600 via the AH, price?

Probably asked a whole lot, but couldn't find a thread about it.

How much would it cost, on average, if I wanted to level engineering from 1 to 600 just by buying mats from the Auction House?

Deleted
    That really depends on the server but I would say 10-20k or more. Some of the Vanilla and TBC mats are probably a little bit expensive.

Deleted
    Many thanks for the quick reply!

Did it about a month ago. Cost around 6k on my overpriced server. Bought everything.

all the professions are easy enough to level.

engineering is surprisingly cheap one to level at the beginning thanks to its multi level up creations this expansion (which are normally only available at later levels for most other professions), Only downside to it is that you won't be making any money till you start making pets/mounts which aren't typically what you make to level up anyway; so you will be making bits and pieces (nuts/bolts etc) and then converting them to finished products which in turn takes engineering to use (for the vast majority of them).

That said, engineering cost me around 6k gold on my server, I too bought all the mats off the AH.

BSing cost me aroudn 14k in comparison on the same server although I leveled BSing about 3 weeks prior to leveling Engineering.

The harder part about leveling either is the BC->Wrath mats.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll probably have to overpay to get the bars needed for the TBC/Wrath parts of leveling, IF you can even get them. My server is medium pop, heavy side, and I had to get my miner to go out and get the mats for this part because even if I wanted to pay for the overpriced goods there just wasn't enough available to level with. The rest of the profession is pretty cheap if you spend your materials wisely. You can usually make for instance bolts a whole bunch and then later use these to craft other things. A profession guide will help you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    Did it about a month ago. Cost around 6k on my overpriced server. Bought everything.
    ... "Overpriced"... I spent ~24k for engineering and another 7k for Jeeves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Use WarcraftProfessional. It searches your servers auctionhouse for all items and gives you a list of what to buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHollowVeteran View Post
    Use WarcraftProfessional. It searches your servers auctionhouse for all items and gives you a list of what to buy.
    That site seems to be down at the moment, and was allready not working to it's fullest extent for a while before. It's where I looked at first too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just learning all the recipes adds up!

I leveled Engi over the course of a weekend whilst leveling mining at the same time.
    If you haven't got a 2nd prof it maybe easier to level mining as well. Cheaper!

---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 05:20 PM ----------

Oh and from leveling the mining to 600 I was also able to level JC at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    Probably asked a whole lot, but couldn't find a thread about it.

How much would it cost, on average, if I wanted to level engineering from 1 to 600 just by buying mats from the Auction House?
    I did enchanting via the AH, and that was insane! It was over 20K easily.. and even then I STILL had to get items that I could not get on AH, I am doing engineering myself, but from my research it's going to be a similar situation, at LEAST 20K from what I can tell, maybe even more since you can do a lot more with engineering than with enchants... so plan on spending 30K

The problem with AH its unreliable.. some things you just will NOT be able to attain, you have to grind them or hope they drop for you.. you won't be able to get ALL the mats, don't forget you are competing with other engineers on your server as well....

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 02:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Spirit View Post
    Just learning all the recipes adds up!

I leveled Engi over the course of a weekend whilst leveling mining at the same time.
    If you haven't got a 2nd prof it maybe easier to level mining as well. Cheaper!

---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 05:20 PM ----------

Oh and from leveling the mining to 600 I was also able to level JC at the same time!
    Sorry but I believe you are FoS! A weekend to go from 1 to 600 on Eng.. riiiighhtt.. NOT! Maybe 48 hours PLAYED but no way a few hours on a weekend...
    Last edited by rjparker1; 2013-02-13 at 07:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rjparker1 View Post

Sorry but I believe you are FoS! A weekend to go from 1 to 600 on Eng.. riiiighhtt.. NOT! Maybe 48 hours PLAYED but no way a few hours on a weekend...
    Not very nice to say. I did it on 2,5 evenings. About 6-7 hours farming ore in different places (before CRZ though, I admit) + some travel time and then just level through the whole of Engineering in an hour or 3. If you have all the mats ready in your mailbox/bank/bags and you can simply follow a guide through the most efficient way to level Engi you don't need much time at all, and certainly not 48 hours played time.

I did enchanting via the AH, and that was insane! It was over 20K easily.. and even then I STILL had to get items that I could not get on AH, I am doing engineering myself, but from my research it's going to be a similar situation, at LEAST 20K from what I can tell, maybe even more since you can do a lot more with engineering than with enchants... so plan on spending 30K

The problem with AH its unreliable.. some things you just will NOT be able to attain, you have to grind them or hope they drop for you.. you won't be able to get ALL the mats, don't forget you are competing with other engineers on your server as well....

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 02:32 PM ----------

maybe people are more efficient than you? it could easily be done in give or take 10 hours. its not like you need millions and millions of bars.

for the OP - as far as cost is concerned i think i spent around 12k leveling it a few weeks ago, this was on a dead server too, might be less if you play on a server with an active AH
    Last edited by crunk; 2013-02-13 at 11:50 PM.

Really? Say that to my warrior who I leveled Engi/BS to 600 in less then 24 hrs using the AH and the AH only.

On a server with a bad market, I see kits go for 10-15k for 1-600.

Deleted
    If it takes you 48 hours you might be doing something wrong. I farmed all the mats I needed and leveled it up in 2 evenings of playing.

OT: On my server the mats are anywhere from 8-12k most of the time.

Deleted
    Cost me around 4k on my small server in the beginning of MoP.

Deleted
    Ugh it depends on the realm obviously, it cost me around 30K in my realm

Leveling professions should be overhauled in some way. It's a shitty feeling if you are forced to produce PURE SHIT for 50 - 100g per skill point, which you can only throw back at the vendors afterwards for 10s.

I'm leveling BS and Eng. for the second time now in total (or first time in MoP for the sub 525 phase), and the BC - Wrath phase is really disgusting.

Just let us profit longer from skill ups from individual items and introduce more +2, +3 and +5 skill up items.

On the other hand, an expensive leveling process keeps away a lot of profession newcomers to start competing on the AH later on. It also has a good side.
    Last edited by Sarevoc; 2013-02-18 at 02:18 PM.

Deleted
    Actually costs around 25-30k on my server. Previous expansion ores/bars go for A LOT on my server

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    Unless you missed a 0 there, your server is not at all overpriced