Thread: Federal Reserve

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Federal Reserve

How many people actually know what this is?
    Why are they in charge of US currency?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    They're not, strictly speaking. To the extent that they are, it's because monetary policy is their domain as per the Federal Reserve Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    They're not, strictly speaking. To the extent that they are, it's because monetary policy is their domain as per the Federal Reserve Act.
    They are not even part of the federal government. They are a private entity.

10+ Year Old Account
    How many people actually know what this is?
    I think a lot of people know exactly what it is. It's a private bank empowered by the Federal Reserve Act to act as the central bank for the United States.

---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 03:07 PM ----------

So what? That has nothing to do with what he said.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think a lot of people know exactly what it is. It's a private bank empowered by the Federal Reserve Act to act as the central bank for the United States.

---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 03:07 PM ----------

So what? That has nothing to do with what he said.
    He said they aren't in charge of US currency. All my money says federal reserve note on it.

If you will pull a dollar bill out and take a look at it, you will notice that it says "Federal Reserve Note" at the top.

It belongs to the Federal Reserve.

The U.S. government cannot simply go out and create new money whenever it wants under our current system.

Instead it must get it from the Federal Reserve.

So when the U.S. government needs to borrow more money (which happens a lot these days) it goes over to the Federal Reserve and asks them for some more green pieces of paper called Federal Reserve Notes.

The Federal Reserve swaps these green pieces of paper for pink pieces of paper called U.S. Treasury bonds. The Federal Reserve either sells these U.S. Treasury bonds or they keep the bonds for themselves (which happens a lot these days).

So that is how the U.S. government gets more green pieces of paper called "U.S. dollars" to put into circulation. But by doing so, they get themselves into even more debt which they will owe even more interest on.

So every time the U.S. government does this, the national debt gets even bigger and the interest on that debt gets even bigger.

Also, orange juice is tasty.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-02-11 at 03:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    welcome to the world of debt based money \o/
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    He said they aren't in charge of US currency. All my money says federal reserve note on it.

If you will pull a dollar bill out and take a look at it, you will notice that it says "Federal Reserve Note" at the top.

It belongs to the Federal Reserve.

The U.S. government cannot simply go out and create new money whenever it wants under our current system.

Instead it must get it from the Federal Reserve.

So when the U.S. government needs to borrow more money (which happens a lot these days) it goes over to the Federal Reserve and asks them for some more green pieces of paper called Federal Reserve Notes.

The Federal Reserve swaps these green pieces of paper for pink pieces of paper called U.S. Treasury bonds. The Federal Reserve either sells these U.S. Treasury bonds or they keep the bonds for themselves (which happens a lot these days).

So that is how the U.S. government gets more green pieces of paper called "U.S. dollars" to put into circulation. But by doing so, they get themselves into even more debt which they will owe even more interest on.

So every time the U.S. government does this, the national debt gets even bigger and the interest on that debt gets even bigger.
    Treasury bills aren't the only thing the Fed buys to manage money supply. And the actual bills are printed by the US treasury, not the Fed. The Fed buys the bills from the Treasury Department.

Either way, you still haven't made a point.

Treasury bills aren't the only thing the Fed buys to manage money supply. And the actual bills are printed by the US treasury, not the Fed. The Fed buys the bills from the Treasury Department.

Point is privately owned banks control our countries money supply. It doesn't say US Treasury Note.
    I was just curious to see peoples views on that. Most people think since it says "Federal" it is part of the government.

15+ Year Old Account

i guess his point is, for every dollar printed one dollar and "x amount" of cent have to be repaid... not really that new but a nice topic to talk about
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Point is privately owned banks control our countries money supply.
    That is commonly know I think most people who care about the economy enough to know something about it know that that the federal reserve is not part of the government.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point is privately owned banks control our countries money supply. It doesn't say US Treasury Note.
    I was just curious to see peoples views on that. Most people think since it says "Federal" it is part of the government.
    I think some people think that, but a lot of us, especially those of us on a site like this that talks about it regularly, or those who have gone to University, know exactly what it is.

My view on it is that it's fine. I think that the Fed has generally acted sensibly and responsibly throughout its history, to the benefit of the US economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think some people think that, but a lot of us, especially those of us on a site like this that talks about it regularly, or those who have gone to University, know exactly what it is.

My view on it is that it's fine. I think that the Fed has generally acted sensibly and responsibly throughout its history, to the benefit of the US economy.
    you mean like their admission that they were responsible for the great depression? really responsible...

http://www.federalreserve.gov/boardd...08/default.htm

Bernanke is particularly interested in the economic and political causes of the Great Depression, on which he has published numerous academic journal articles. Before Bernanke's work, the dominant monetarist theory of the Great Depression was Milton Friedman's view that it had been largely caused by the Federal Reserve's having reduced the money supply. In a speech on Milton Friedman's ninetieth birthday (November 8, 2002), Bernanke said, "Let me end my talk by abusing slightly my status as an official representative of the Federal Reserve. I would like to say to Milton and Anna [Schwartz, Friedman's coauthor]: Regarding the Great Depression. You're right, we did it. We're very sorry. But thanks to you, we won't do it again."
    Last edited by helheim; 2013-02-11 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added quote

Deleted
    Imagine if congress had direct control over the printing press instead.

Yeah... You don't wanna go there.

The US can borrow extremely cheaply (the yields on US bonds are still very low, go compare it to other countries in the world), so your idea of the interest increasing and increasing makes no sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by helheim View Post
    you mean like their admission that they were responsible for the great depression? really responsible...
    I'm not sure what you're specifically referring to, but I'd much rather our institutions recognize when they made a mistake and work to avoid such mistakes in the future. That is responsible behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by helheim View Post
    Citation needed on this. The federal reserve does monetary policy which by it self would not cause the great depression, which was a collapse of the financial system.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    i added the quote to my post for clarification. i'm sorry, but your ignorance is making me very angry. i'm checking out of this thread before it gets me in trouble.

edit: before i go, i leave you with this video, which explains quite clearly how fractional reserve banking is inherently flawed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MBOB4Gg#t=413s
    Last edited by helheim; 2013-02-11 at 03:39 PM.
    i do not spew profanities. i enunciate them clearly, like a fucking lady.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%A8lh%C3%A8im/

15+ Year Old Account

because getting money out of the process of creating money is the definiton of benefit to a countrys economy/people

really?

Postal Service isn't part of the government either, but that doesn't mean the government doesn't exert as much or as little control as they desire upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    because getting money out of the process of creating money is the definiton of benefit to a countrys economy/people

really?
    Creating money can increase liquidity in an economy leading to increased investment spending.
    Gamdwelf the Mage