*sigh* World PvP

Anyone else have an undying desire to have big ass world pvp battles? Like the good old southshore multi-hour slaughter fest?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but they're a pain in the ass to organise, and if not organised, then bloody rare.

10+ Year Old Account
    play PTR.. it's non-stop from what i've seen so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    When the game was less popular sure. World PvP just comes down to who has the bigger mob, and the mobs are now so big the server lags out completely or they start phasing into another realm. It does not work.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can get some nice zerg fest in AV if you are lucky, I personally dont enjoy this kind of pvp, its fun for couple of hours like once per month...
    go find a group for the horde/alliance leaders achievements, it could satisfy your desires with the cross-realm zones.

If you enjoy individual world pvp 1vX like me, you could try for example Blasted Lands, loads of world pvp going on around the dark portal...

Those "multi-hour slaughter fests" are usually more fun for the side with more people
    "Oh, you think darkness is your ally, but you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it.

I didn't see the light until I was already a man and by then it was nothing to me but blinding." -Bane

10+ Year Old Account
    World pvp is only fun for people who play classes that have a million jail cards or stealthers. DK's and Warriors are basically cannon fodder in these types of conflicts that they're probably better off playing a tank spec. Its not even worth healing them either, just let them die to serve their purpose of feeding the enemy team.

And as Korgoth said, it basically comes down to the numbers game. Not to mention that good healers have complete control of the outcome. The worst part about world pvp is that there is no winner, everyone pretends that they won and that the other team had more numbers. People like to usually make up stories about how they were outnumbered 5 to 1 like it was something out of the 300 movie. Then they'll usually drivel on about how awesome it was and how "You should've been there."

Come to think of it, the worst part of world pvp for me wasn't even in this game. It was in Swtor. That planet that was dedicated to world pvp (Forget the name of it) was the worst mmo experience for me. Don't even want to get into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Ebonheart said is largely correct, but rather than it being the "worst thing", I find it to be the best thing.

WPvP is a numbers game in larger fights, but this can be negated through terrain bottlenecks, guard assistance and other factors. But when you DO pull off a win from a position of inferior numbers, it is vastly rewarding. (Just like the film 300 you die in a rain of arrows, but with a brave, satisfied smile on your face)

WPvP is spontaneous, there is a skill in it which cannot be learned as in battlegrounds or arenas, for example, arenas are always 3v3, or 2v2, if you come up against KFC you already know roughly what's going to happen. In AB for example, you already know that if you stand near the edge at LM, there is a large chance that you will be knocked off the cliff.
    In the world however, you are continually fighting in different locations, with different numbers. Being able to exploit the terrain and npcs grants you an advantage.

Anyway I'm hugely looking forward to Isle of the Thunder King. NO FLYING MOUNTS. Hopefully ITK will be a second Isle of Quel'danas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neozippy View Post
    Anyone else have an undying desire to have big ass world pvp battles? Like the good old southshore multi-hour slaughter fest?
    I was never around for the multi-day AV battles or SS, Tauren Mill, Crossroads, etc. as I only started playing in Wrath :/

However, I feel like I would have enjoyed them, and I'm excited for patch 5.2 as I can see there being lots and lots of world PvP on the new island that's coming with the patch. Hopefully the terrain is conducive to massive slaughterfests the likes of which haven't been seen since Vanilla.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Me as WindWalker with a Resto Sham buddy went and camped Valiance Keep in Borean for hours. Finally after camping the level 68-71s for hours (we were there [or at least I was] for over 7 hours. I was bored. Gimmie a break.) we enticed 6 90s to come and attack us. It was funny watching a rogue, lock, prot pal, feral, frost dk, and elly sham losing 6v2.

They were rather retarded though, and attacking a windwalker while he has Karma on somebody isn't smart. Or watching him kite all the melee to a cliff then /cast crackling jade lightning to knock them off to their deaths. Needless to say, we kept destroying them till an arms warrior showed up and overpowered us (Get it? Warrior? Overpower? Like the ability and what they were this patch? Lulz.).

I'll screenshot next time for your viewing pleasure.

OP: Honestly, the only way I ever find good WPvP is to just go and pick a fight in a lower-level zone. The players get mad, jump on their mains, and you can just wreck them then. If they keep killing you to the point where you aren't killing anyone, just grab a buddy or two and kill them all. They'll eventually tired of this and either log / call in more people to kill you.

Our realm has close to 1:1 ratio, so we have bunch of WPvP including WG and TB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krixooks View Post
    What Ebonheart said is largely correct, but rather than it being the "worst thing", I find it to be the best thing.

WPvP is a numbers game in larger fights, but this can be negated through terrain bottlenecks, guard assistance and other factors. But when you DO pull off a win from a position of inferior numbers, it is vastly rewarding. (Just like the film 300 you die in a rain of arrows, but with a brave, satisfied smile on your face)

WPvP is spontaneous, there is a skill in it which cannot be learned as in battlegrounds or arenas, for example, arenas are always 3v3, or 2v2, if you come up against KFC you already know roughly what's going to happen. In AB for example, you already know that if you stand near the edge at LM, there is a large chance that you will be knocked off the cliff.
    In the world however, you are continually fighting in different locations, with different numbers. Being able to exploit the terrain and npcs grants you an advantage.

Anyway I'm hugely looking forward to Isle of the Thunder King. NO FLYING MOUNTS. Hopefully ITK will be a second Isle of Quel'danas.
    You know if you find world pvp enjoyable that's awesome.

And yeah, I've tested Thunder King on the ptr. There will be plenty of World PvP because there are quests that actually have you attack the other factions base. You're killing NPC's, but its right near the other factions questing zone. The island is also pretty small, only in stage one on the ptr though.

The only problem with Thunder King is that there's pve enemies everywhere. Its absolutely insane how many sauroks, trolls and rock monsters there are. There's literally areas where if you pull one npc, 8 will attack you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wintergrasp and Tol Barad are there, 24 hours a day.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Wintergrasp and Tol Barad are there, 24 hours a day.
    Not every realm has a balanced H:A ratio and believe it or not, A LOT of people still don't know that they're now available at level 90.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

No.

I recently had some world PvP around Halaa, 30 Horde or so vs. 25ish Alliance. Big clusterfuck, incredibly boring, sort of like raid healing. World PvP is boring, and don't tell me ganking or 2v1 is world PvP. That's just being an ass to other players because you can, behind a computer screen.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Defias Brotherhood EU, that realm is insane for WPvP, always big fights in the dailys areas, there are horde and alliance guilds that just do WPvP, and it's easy to organise anyway

Deleted
    I love the way this thread is discussing WPvP as if it still exists within this game... its a rarity and even on PvP servers its uncommon.

I played on the busiest Horde realm EU and didnt see any WPvP for the last couple of years before i quit. Check my HKs and u will see that over 75% of my HKs were world kills so id like to think i know a thing or two about WPvP.

Ill let u into a little secret... GW2 utterly owns Wow for the WPvP market. The way it works in GW2 is that we dont have factions, u join a realm and u can only ever start characters on that realm. Basically each realm is in competition with each other and and u can enter the WvW battlegrounds at any time, at any level. There are four WvW Bgs and each one of them is about 5 to 8 times bigger than AV and u fight against 2 other realms in each BG.

These WvW battlegrounds are open 24/7 and u can enter whenever u like, its always going on and its ALWAYS BUSY. You fight for your realm against 2 other realms, a three-way to take over as much territory in each map. Each realm has up to 150 players in at once, so a max of about 450 players in the BG at once. At the end of each week the realm with the most points goes up a tier in ranking and u get matched up with 2 new realms in the same tier for the next week. Obviously the objective is to fight for your realm and get to the top.

The positive points is that your realm community is tight, awesome and everyone works together. The guilds within GW2 who focus WvW are tightly organised and run in teams on vent tactically taking the forts/keeps/supply depots/garrisons etc all over the map. You will probably have 1 to 5 organised guilds in 1 of the 4 battlegrounds each running their own atacks/defense in cooprtation with the other guilds running in there. The guilds on each realm are tight and on my realm they even have weekly realm meetings where anyone is welcome to join vent. Here all the guilds discuss how theyll work together to progress the realms community and ofc WvW.

Negatively PvP in general isnt quite as sophisticated as Wow, mainly because u can only setup your character with 10 active abilities (10 attack/defense buttons). The talent trees r more complex than Wow (loads more options for builds) but when ur limited to only a handful of possible buttons to press it isnt as broad... however i personally prefer the lower amount of buttons. So all u Wow hardcore 'pro' pvpers u will probably hate GW2! lol

All of the WvW guilds seem to regularly put together thier own WvW vids so here are a couple of vids which the guilds have posted up on our own realm website (which was created and run by realm players themselves). RG are the most well known and SIN are a spanish guild, two of the better WvW guilds. RPing is pretty heavy on our realm so both vids have a little at the start lol

http://pikensquare.info/videos/58395

http://pikensquare.info/videos/58395

TLDR: This isnt a GW2 vs Wow post its simply an honest observation by someone who loved Wow World PvP and has found something which on almost every level is actually better
    Last edited by mmoc978ad45763; 2013-02-11 at 11:43 PM.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    No.

I recently had some world PvP around Halaa, 30 Horde or so vs. 25ish Alliance. Big clusterfuck, incredibly boring, sort of like raid healing. World PvP is boring, and don't tell me ganking or 2v1 is world PvP. That's just being an ass to other players because you can, behind a computer screen.
    Ganking 2v1 is WPvP weather you like it or not, PvP isn't as fair 1v1 ratio unless you are equally geared, on live on my Resto druid, a warrior with best gear, or anyone really with high gear, can take me down 1v1, Also because the majority of my gear is blue Honor gear, and i have no PvP weapon, But i can easily 1v3 and not die if they have low gear, i had a balance druid, an Ele shammy and a DK all trying to kill me and i just stood there and just cast HoTs, Same with my feral specc, with blue honor gear i can easily 2v1 new 90s, My point being that you can't argue 1v1 is more fair than 2v1 because they can easily both go either way,

Also that's your opinion it's boring, to me it's exhilarating, it comes down to what we prefer personaly.