Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol... NO RAINBOW GEARZ IT MESSES WITH MAI IMMERSION WAH! Meanwhile gnomes warriors can take hits from dragons that are ten times their size and we have rabbit men stealing carrots. But no, PINK GEAR WOULD JUST BE SILLY! The gazillion plate thong armor sets you see blood elf pallys using is perfectly fine, but someone wanting pink gear crosses the line, mmmk.

Quote Originally Posted by xindykawai View Post
    never heard of hue/saturation and Colorise tool dont you
    That isn't how it works...

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    That's not quite the same thing. You're talking about brand-new systems or new additions to existing systems. Dyes would be directly modifying an existing system, and since this is art instead of code it's considerably more time-consuming to change.
    I'm sorry but I simply cannot be convinced that armor dyes would be "considerably more time-consuming to change" than Phasing or LFG or any of those things. Even if it was, we're not talking about rocket science here. You hire some grad student to sit down and assign numbers to different areas on all the armors in game. And if that's too much, you just do tier sets. That shit's already in game. Boub pulls a half dozen different color schemes out of the game files every tier. How hard do you think it would be to let us pick which one of those we want and add a few more?
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Deleted
    I hate the idea, not to mention all the whining trolls that would awaken from their slumber.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinni View Post
    I hate the idea, not to mention all the whining trolls that would awaken from their slumber.
    Might as well not do anything with the game then because every single thing they do will have whining trolls. Blizzard better not release another expansion ever again for fear of what the TROLLS might think!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    It would be FAR too much work now. They'd have to remake every single item in the entire game.
    This, the engine that WoW runs on wouldnt be able to support a color slider feature, let alone every item in game has a specific model and texture skin designed for that piece of armor, by adding a slider every single piece of armor that has ever existed in wow would need to be redone to accommodate the slider feature, which is almost mind boggling as that would pretty much mean they would have to remake WoW a third time over for itemization purposes.

Plus, have you SEEN how long it took Blizzard to even implement transmogrification? People were asking for the feature back in BC and it took the end of two expansions to implement it.

Oh, and I'm still waiting on that Dance studio...
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    No they wouldn't. This same argument is used against new models, "they have to change every piece of gear in the game!". They do not. One, certain models and textures are reused ALOT. Second, they can just open the same hue shader they use to limited player control.
    Might want to check how textures in WoW work, y'know. They're static and made of one part, each single piece of gear has a full, finished texture applied to it. The 'hue shader' you mention is part of an external graphic tool they use to recolour textures before adding them to WoW's directories. Bottom line: no, that wouldn't work.

New models have nothing to do with it.

A good step in the right direction for Customization in this game was Transmog.

From there Blizzard has taken another step with the new Talent System.

What I want is sub races too, and when new models come, a lot more customization options.

If we could also see the gems we socket into our gear as well, that could give it some zest too.

But coloring our gear? Eh.

There's so many armor sets in game I think we're fine to be honest, along with a ton of recolors of those sets.

It's a feature I'd like to see, but like Darsithis said, if they add it simple highlights would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No. I don't want to see people doing rainbow gear.

At the most, AT THE MOST, I might want to see people being able to color the highlights as long as it colors the entire set (tier gear only), but that's it.
    This is exactly the kind of objection people had to transmogrification, and look how that turned out.

I think that's a shortcut game developers go for character customization. Fable 3 did it with the dies and I think it was a little boring.

---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 01:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    lol... NO RAINBOW GEARZ IT MESSES WITH MAI IMMERSION WAH! Meanwhile gnomes warriors can take hits from dragons that are ten times their size and we have rabbit men stealing carrots. But no, PINK GEAR WOULD JUST BE SILLY! The gazillion plate thong armor sets you see blood elf pallys using is perfectly fine, but someone wanting pink gear crosses the line, mmmk.
    What? Immersion isn't the same thing as realistic surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    This, the engine that WoW runs on wouldnt be able to support a color slider feature, let alone every item in game has a specific model and texture skin designed for that piece of armor, by adding a slider every single piece of armor that has ever existed in wow would need to be redone to accommodate the slider feature, which is almost mind boggling as that would pretty much mean they would have to remake WoW a third time over for itemization purposes.

Plus, have you SEEN how long it took Blizzard to even implement transmogrification? People were asking for the feature back in BC and it took the end of two expansions to implement it.

Oh, and I'm still waiting on that Dance studio...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    You're misunderstanding. Some things can be added (and holy crap do they cause a lot of bugs with some completely unrelated parts of the game). This isn't one of them. They'd have to change every single gear texture in the game to allow for it, which is a huge waste of time.
    Bull. I highly doubt that it would be as big of an undertaking as you guys make it out to be. But let's be honest here. We both have the exact same knowledge of what this would entail - which is to say absolutely bupkis.

So, let's stop pretending like you have a clue and apply some logical reasoning, okay? Let's just assume you're right. Lets assume that changing "every single gear texture in the game" would take a million man hours. Hell, let's make it a trillion man hours just to be safe. Varied color schemes for tier gear already exists. Boub proves this every time he mines up the new sets. So lets not even talk about what other color options there could be. Let's just talk about what's already there.

The fact that Blizz doesn't give people the option to pick from armor recolors that are already in the game files proves that this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with technical limitations or resource constraints. So stop making like "the game won't allow it so that's why we can't". It's a conscious decision they've made - likely due to game design and social philosophy.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2013-02-11 at 07:58 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Edds View Post
    yeah would be an awesome idea but the game is too old to add such a feature. maybe from an expansion onwards
    you would get horrible colours over other colours. theres no bump mapping in wow so they wont look as good if colours are over detailed parts
    You just painted over the old image which isn't how you would change colors of parts. I don't own Photoshop so I can't show you how it's done but you can mark specific areas of the texture and change the color by changing the color channels. So you replace the initial color with the one you want without painting over details which would get lost. That's how it's done in almost every game that has dyes and that's the reason why some dyes look brighter or darker on different items because the result depends heavily on the initial color.

Only problem is that you would have to make an interface that is easy to use (like in GW2 or Warhammer Online) and change all item colors to one so that it's less work later on when defining which channel alteration creates which color (or just let players figure out which configuration will create which color). Also Blizzard could make it a new feature and limit it to new items like they're doing with item upgrading.

It's certainly possible to do and depending on how good they want the system to work it's either a lot of work with redoing every item so far or create the things needed in less time and let the players do the big work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    I'm sorry but I simply cannot be convinced that armor dyes would be "considerably more time-consuming to change" than Phasing or LFG or any of those things. Even if it was, we're not talking about rocket science here. You hire some grad student to sit down and assign numbers to different areas on all the armors in game. And if that's too much, you just do tier sets. That shit's already in game. Boub pulls a half dozen different color schemes out of the game files every tier. How hard do you think it would be to let us pick which one of those we want and add a few more?
    He pulls three--the three they use in-game (normal, heroic, LFR, or Honor, Conquest, Elite).

Allowing people to use the existing recolors would be easy. The problem is in allowing people to recolor gear themselves. They certainly could do it, but it would take a lot time to go through them and assign all of the segments to each texture that would be required for such a system to work. I don't know how much experience you have in graphic design or digital art, but it really does take a decent chunk of time to do that. That's time that the art team would be spending not making new things. (And yes, the art team would do it. Blizzard doesn't hire random people.)

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    You just painted over the old image which isn't how you would change colors of parts. I don't own Photoshop so I can't show you how it's done but you can mark specific areas of the texture and change the color by changing the color channels. So you replace the initial color with the one you want without painting over details which would get lost. That's how it's done in almost every game that has dyes and that's the reason why some dyes look brighter or darker on different items because the result depends heavily on the initial color.
    ill be honest i dont know how dye armor works in games. i was guessing dye armor was completely made in black and white and coded the colours in

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    Gimmicks gimmicks gimmicks

First transmog, now this.

GW2 has recoloring, sooooo inconsequential.
    Guild Wars ONE had recoloring.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would take so much effort to recolor ever piece of gear that's been released in so many shades and hues. The best we can hope for is that they rerelease some older gear in certain shades or colors. ( I've tried, took me several hours. I know they could recolor quickly but they would put other content on hold. )

I personally would prefer them opening us to control how the armor's skin appears on us. IE the plate flared pant look, a kilt, or the slim pants. Would make outfits a little more unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Deleted
    We both have the exact same knowledge of what this would entail - which is to say absolutely bupkis.
    Actually, from my (albeit short) time spent making 3d models for WC3, burrowing around in WoW's texture files and some basic logic, I have a pretty good idea of what it would entail.

Each part you'd want to be recolourable would have to use two layers, one monochrome (that can be dyed) and one alphaed overlaying texture. There would have to be additional coding done to allow different parts to form one complete item texture and further coding to be able to apply dyes at all.

This applies to every texture batch, so all lookalike items. Tons of work, because all of them would have to be grouped, the code altered and the textures themselves changed.

The fact that Blizz doesn't give people the option to pick from armor recolors that are already in the game files proves that this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with technical limitations or resource constraints. So stop making like "the game won't allow it so that's why we can't". It's a conscious decision they've made - likely due to game design and social philosophy.
    Or it simply hasn't been advocated enough on the official forums and twitter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I really don't want to see a bunch of people in all pink.
    Are you one of those people that didn't want transmog because you assumed everyone would run around in mixed lvl 12 greens?
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Are you one of those people that didn't want transmog because you assumed everyone would run around in mixed lvl 12 greens?
    Stop trying to start a flame war. Some people are going to disagree with you, get over it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    Gimmicks gimmicks gimmicks

First transmog, now this.

GW2 has recoloring, sooooo inconsequential.
    Transmog is the most successful feature they've added next to LFR, good thing you don't make their business decisions. People obviously care about how their char looks judging by the popularity of transmog. I don't care about colouring but I say go for it.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.