Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    So you guys want Obama to march marines around with working weapons at a parade? Wouldn't that inforce the image of him as a tyrant?
    I couldn't care less. It's not a subject I would have paid any attention to, much like the rest of the inauguration. It's like the super bowl, I'd not know about it if not for the people complaining on the forums.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    So you guys want Obama to march marines around with working weapons at a parade? Wouldn't that inforce the image of him as a tyrant?
    Why do you think the President ages so much during their term? Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If they had the bolts in the rifles, people would claim that "since other President's took the bolts out," that Obama had them left in because he was flexing his military prowess.

I think it's sad that any President's inauguration would be subject to Marine's loyalty being questioned.

Sensationalist media crits you for 276219
    Dezerte has fainted
    Would you like to use common sense?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

BTW, Examiner.com uses bloggers for many of its "articles" take it with a grain of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Right..now I get it. Oh well..since it is pretty much impossible to legally aquire weapons and ammunition here, that is what confused me. In my time in the army we always paraded around without ammo and not really lethal weapons. Kinda a relief to know the guy next to you can't kill you when he drops his gun and it missfires.

I am effing paranoid around guns..learned that lesson in the army. Always treat any gun as loaded. Anybody who gets a hardon shooting a machine gun or a machine pistol or a rifle instead of being respectful and scared is a crazy.

That from a guy with two years of service. You are free to disagree or laugh at me...I couldn't care less.
    I feel the same way to be honest. Guns scare the hell out of me. So I wouldn't want a parade of them walking around, ready to fire, XD. I only posted that to make a poke at the people claiming that Obama is out to get them.

Deleted
    Right..now I get it. Oh well..since it is pretty much impossible to legally aquire weapons and ammunition here, that is what confused me. In my time in the army we always paraded around without ammo and not really lethal weapons. Kinda a relief to know the guy next to you can't kill you when he drops his gun and it missfires.

I am effing paranoid around guns..learned that lesson in the army. Always treat any gun as loaded. Anybody who gets a hardon shooting a machine gun or a machine pistol or a rifle instead of being respectful and scared is a crazy.

That from a guy with two years of service. You are free to disagree or laugh at me...I couldn't care less.
    Respectful around firearms yeah, scared and paranoid around weapons, hell no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    I'm sorry? What's the issue here? What, those people are more trustworthy than your average citizen? What, there's no chance for a mentally or morally disturbed person to be among them? Sounds like they're superhumans to me if that's the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting if you want it to be. I do not see why they should be in working order. It is all just pageantry, something I do not give a shit about.

This is one of the most sensible things that the administration has done.
    I like sandwiches

Some of you are really grasping for straws now and it's getting quite pathetic at this point...
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Money gets locked up in safes. They lock the stores at night, I get checked up at the airport and they have these traffic lights everywhere - they think I'm not trustworthy!

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Edit: retracting previous statement and adding this: I'm not 100% sure, but don't armed forces "drill teams" use decommissioned rifles to preform drill and ceremony with? If so, then the inauguration is a ceremony and the Marines marching were part of the ceremony -- not the security. Someone in the armed forces, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by theredviola; 2013-02-11 at 11:00 PM.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

This isnt about obama. this isnt about the SS. this isnt about civilians. this is about the marines.

Marines are the first in. They are the first to kill, and the first to die. Its not a huge issue, but its bullshit that this happened. Put whoever made this decision through parris island. Let the sand fleas deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    This isnt about obama. this isnt about the SS. this isnt about civilians. this is about the marines.

Marines are the first in. They are the first to kill, and the first to die. Its not a huge issue, but its bullshit that this happened. Put whoever made this decision through parris island. Let the sand fleas deal with it.
    What in God's name does it matter? Did they need loaded weapons? Absolutely not. It was a military parade! Who cares!?
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

What is this guy talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    I'm not sure but they are making a very good argument as to why not everyone should have access to guns. If you get so worked up about a nonissue like this I would hate to see how you would react to something more serious.

Well from that article who knows whos idea it was to use the rifles without bolts. Maybe it was the marines. We dont know since the article is just 100% speculation and trying to cause a problem that might not exist.

It was a cold day, its entirely possible the bolts were left off so they coudnt stick and jam the rifles. Thats a much better theory than the president is afraid a marine is going to kill him with a 50 year old parade rifle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who has no idea what this is about? Is it strictly sth that only Americans (which I am not) can understand?
    I was confused too.

The guns the soldiers are carrying though are disabled. Normally they would be operational I guess.

Also, why are people getting upset about guns being unable to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Parris Island is where Marine recruits go for basic, if they live east of the Mississippi River. What he's saying is that whoever came up with the idea, is incredibly disrespectful towards the Corps and everything they have done, so they/that person needs to go through basic to see the minimum that Marines go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    It was a cold day, its entirely possible the bolts were left off so they coudnt stick and jam the rifles.
    It would have to be much colder for that to happen, and the guns would need to be in operation for jams to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I was confused too.

The guns the soldiers are carrying though are disabled. Normally they would be operational I guess.

Also, why are people getting upset about guns being unable to shoot.
    When blanks are needed, it needs to be operable. Think 21 gun salute etc.

I don't get why they couldn't just use blanks feels kinda disrespectful even tho I'm not a war person.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Edit: retracting previous statement and adding this: I'm not 100% sure, but don't armed forces "drill teams" use decommissioned rifles to preform drill and ceremony with? If so, then the inauguration is a ceremony and the Marines marching were part of the ceremony -- not the security. Someone in the armed forces, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Most of the drill teams have rifles that are disabled via firing pin and such, so they still look and feel fully functional. Removing the bolts just seems odd/ redundant, though maybe these rifles were not the same class.

They're M1's, they're not the current rifle, their only purpose is for drills/ salutes and such.