Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    You must not have young children.
    I believe there is more overblown hysteria when it comes to that then anything else. I do not doubt the veracity of the accusations, but I don't think it was as widespread as people claim.

Also...As an agnostic...why would I be worried about my children around priests, as they would never be in the position to be abused in the first place.

To be honest I don't blaim the Church for what happened to those kids. I blame the parents. Parenting fail is a parenting fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I believe there is more overblown hysteria when it comes to that then anything else. I do not doubt the veracity of the accusations, but I don't think it was as widespread as people claim.

Also...As an agnostic...why would I be worried about my children around priests, as they would never be in the position to be abused in the first place.

To be honest I don't blaim the Church for what happened to those kids. I blame the parents. Parenting fail is a parenting fail.
    Funny..I believe the opposite. I believe that there is far more rampant abuse that goes unreported within the catholic church, as is the norm in all other sexual abuse cases.

So do you blame the parents for trusting the ordained ministers with their children, or blame the parents for putting their children in that position to begin with?

Also, as FYI:

"From 2003 to 2009 nine other major settlements involving over 375 cases with 1551 claimants/victims, resulted in payments of over $1.1 billion USD. The Associated Press estimated the settlements of sex abuse cases from 1950 to 2007 totaled more than $2 billion. BishopAccountability puts the figure at more than $3 billion in 2012. Addressing "a flood of abuse claims" five dioceses (Tucson, Arizona; Spokane, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Davenport, Iowa, and San Diego) got bankruptcy protection. Eight Catholic dioceses have declared bankruptcy due to sex abuse cases from 2004-2011."

Taken from wikipedia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Another thread like this one has already been posted before and unfortunately it ended the same. With tangents that had nothing to do with the discussion at hand and could only serve to potentially insult religious people.

Closing this.