Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I couldn't help myself from posting this quote
    "I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, You move to an area and you multiply... and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague"

Deleted
    Nothing deserves something in this universes as there is no universal right or wrong.

Deleted
    Can't see it being any worse than just having a bare lump of rock orbiting a sun. I do however wish our planet was larger or population drastically reduced (~500 million).
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2013-02-12 at 11:45 AM.

Haha all you people saying we're here for a reason.. you realize we wont be in a hundred or 2 years right?

Quote Originally Posted by Enz View Post
    Haha all you people saying we're here for a reason.. you realize we wont be in a hundred or 2 years right?
    Ah, was trying to google the next ending of the world prediction since the mayan calendar one. What is this that you are talking of? As for humans on the planet... another quote. "With great power comes great responsibility." We are the top species on the planet and we are and should be responsible for every other species that has been affected by our climb to the top.

Deleted
    Deserve? that implies a form of judgement is being held over us.

We do live on earth, the question is can we continue to do sustainably. Unfortunatly the answer appears to be no.

Deleted
    We live on earth, we dominate every facet of earth - bar massive natural effects (But were already pretty adept at meeting them head on now)

Do we deserve to? Yes, because chance saw us being created here - and we've eclisped every other species to be dominant, if we finally send manned space craft out into the universe and contact other lifeforms...

We'll see who deserves to rule the universe eh?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Are we here? Yes?
    It' strange how so many people think innately having something means you somehow "deserved" it... Do people not know the meaning of the word or are their egos really just that big?
    Facilis Descensus Averno

to quote matrix (more or less)
    "humans are like a filthy virus that doesn't stop to corrupt every part of this world"

do we deserve well .. probably not but since we are the strongest race (even if it's by cheating with guns and cars) who can judge us? GOD .. maybe if you still beleve there is one

i think we will destroy this planet sonner or later, but hey i'm dead by that time so screw that shit, let future generations have that problem. i beleve that the day i die it's like shutting your computer down, it just ends boom. if my soul gets in another body and i have to live again .. welll then i'm fucked xD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkminaz View Post
    to quote matrix (more or less)
    "humans are like a filthy virus that doesn't stop to corrupt every part of this world"

Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Is the exact quote and, while the Matrix may be full of cheese, to me this is 100% true... well the conclusion anyways.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2013-02-12 at 12:43 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

What kind of question is that?

"Do we deserve to live here?" According to whom? Evolution says yes.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I don't know if we deserve Earth but we got invited by evolution and stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Is the exact quote and, while the Matrix may be full of cheese, to me this is 100% true... well the conclusion anyways.
    Except that the quote is false on most accounts. Animals only develop a 'natural equilibrium' if there's something to keep their numbers in check, but unable to drive them to extinction. There are numerous examples where this simply doesn't happen - an invasive species is introduced into an ecosystem, it's numbers go unchecked and it drives the previous habitants to the brink of extinction.

Humans are not in any way different or unique in this regard. We are driven by the same two basic instincts as every other animal: survival and reproduction. We can hardly be blamed for winning the 'evolutionary arms race' and being able to survive and reproduce at a rate that allows us to spread unchecked until we run out of space and start killing each other. It's the exact same path any other species would take. One could even say it's inevitable.
    Last edited by Woebegone; 2013-02-12 at 02:04 PM.

Deserve? We're fucking animals... do tigers "deserve" to live on earth?

Jeez, the arrogance of humans... We are so above everything else that we have to ponder if we "deserve" to exist?

Deleted
    Its not a matter of deserve or not, It just is how it is.
    Besides we don't have anywhere else to go! If people feel like they don't deserve to live here by all means go help yourself. Make a diffrence! ( in your opinion) speaking in general.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Life doesn't care about who's deserving or not. There is no power that makes anything right or wrong. The universe doesn't care.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Teeruk View Post
    Ah, was trying to google the next ending of the world prediction since the mayan calendar one. What is this that you are talking of? As for humans on the planet... another quote. "With great power comes great responsibility." We are the top species on the planet and we are and should be responsible for every other species that has been affected by our climb to the top.
    He thinks of a nuclear war i assume, not some retarded world ending date. And by any means, the biggest chance is either, we kill ourselves in the 3rd world war, or we kill ourselves while killing the planet.

And if you go by that, that is pretty much possible, we won't be here in 200 years
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Deserve? We're fucking animals... do tigers "deserve" to live on earth?

Jeez, the arrogance of humans... We are so above everything else that we have to ponder if we "deserve" to exist?
    Don't you agree that humanity is above the non-sapients?

Quote Originally Posted by Woebegone View Post
    Except that the quote is false on most accounts. Animals only develop a 'natural equilibrium' if there's something to keep their numbers in check, but unable to drive them to extinction. There are numerous examples where this simply doesn't happen - an invasive species is introduced into an ecosystem, it's numbers go unchecked and it drives the previous habitants to the brink of extinction.

Humans are not in any way different or unique in this regard. We are driven by the same two basic instincts as every other animal: survival and reproduction. We can hardly be blamed for winning the 'evolutionary arms race' and being able to survive and reproduce at a rate that allows us to spread unchecked until we run out of space and start killing each other. It's the exact same path any other species would take. One could even say it's inevitable.
    Indeed, I would even go as far to argue that we humans actually are good for the planet; we recycle and try to do as little harm as possible to nature. We got the ability to grasp the bigger picture here, we may be the first species that takes such extreme care in taking care of our nature. Of course, far from all of us are like that; many humans are still letting their emotions control them too much. But we have the potential, which can go either way (nuclear war isn't that awesome).

You also have to keep in mind that 99% of all species that ever has existed are now extinct. So we are not quite the bogeymen some like to make us believe.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Do we or don't we?

Are we bad for this planet or not? Do we deserve the right to call this planet our home?
    Survival of the fittest seems to think we deserve it.. And that's not to say the harm we do to the planet is "meant" to be.. Humans just need to do a better job caring for their home planet.. Seeing as how, we do not have another one, yet.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    Don't you agree that humanity is above the non-sapients?
    Evolution does not have a plan, it does not work progressively or "upwards". Different characters work differently in different environments. It just so happened that intelligence and tool usage is universally advantageous.

Just because humans are more intelligent than the rest of the animal kingdom, it doesn't make us any less animals ourselves.