Poll: What do you think?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

My Bard class idea (Long)

About a week ago I asked how a bard class could work in WoW. I got quite a few interesting responses, and quite a few people who said that there's no way such a class could work in WoW. That's a fair point, since Bards are traditionally a support class, and not really a DPS/Tanking/Healing class like the classes that are standard in WoW. The support role by and large was done away with after TBC and WotLK.

So that changes things quite a bit. Clearly a bard in WoW couldn't be the traditional support class we all know and love. It would have to be a stand alone class capable of performing various roles on its own, while still maintaining the flavor of the class.

So here is my Bard concept. As usual, I have little belief that this class will ever turn up in the game. This is just me having a little bit of creative fun, and you guys telling me if this concept COULD work in WoW.

So without further adieu.....

BARD

Overview: Bards are entertainers who use their incredible skills to raise the spirits of those around them. Though many Bards are perfectly content to live out their lives entertaining people at local fairs and traveling shows, some Bards hunger for adventure, and seek to use their unique skills to bring happiness and balance to the world around them. While some seek to use their skills for lofty purposes, other Bards wish to use their ability for their own self interests, and the possibility of incredible wealth. Although not your standard class of warrior, adventurers are happy to bring Bards into their party to keep their spirits up, and to raise morale on a harsh journey.

Bards have honed their skills to such a degree that to onlookers, it appears that Bards are using some form of arcane or shadow magic. They aren't very far off. Bards use a unique form of magic to aid them in combat and to aid their companions.

The Basics

Armor: Leather until level 40, then Mail
    Stats: INT
    Weapons: 1h swords, 1h maces, bows, crossbows
    Race: Potentially any race.
    Roles: Healing/DPS hybrid.
    Resource: Mana
    Specs: Harmony, Tarot, Mimic

Instruments: This class could play a guitar/harp each time they perform a song or a saying, or they could just sing. I'm open to either interpretation.

Standard Abilities

Cherub's Arrow= Fires an arrow of magic at a target. Cherub's Arrow has a chance to hit the target twice for double the damage. Singing or shuffle deck increases the chance for this to occur.

Magic Sword= Magic Sword is the bread and butter of this class after Cherub's Arrow. Magic Sword attacks the target at 30 yards, damaging them, and has a chance to heal an injured ally, or hit the target with an elemental attack. What Magic Sword does depends on the stance you're currently in. Using Magic Sword while singing or after shuffle increases its chance to have a secondary effect.

Serenade= (Channeled) You sing at a target, damaging an enemy over time or healing an ally over time. This ability doesn't require a stance change.

Charm= You convince an enemy target to fight for you for x minutes.

Ghost Story= Your tales frighten your target, horrifying them for a few seconds.

Mimic= You copy the ability of a friendly target for a short amount of time. Mimic lasts 10 seconds, and you can only use the ability once. This changes when you specialize in Mime.

Tarot Card=Tosses a random tarot card at the target, causing damage and restoring 1% mana to the Bard.

Eye of the Eidolon= (Passive) (Tarot spec only) Constant successful draws of your Tarot abilities summons the Eye of the Eidolon. See below for effects.

The Specs

Harmony: Healing/Support. Specializes in AoE Healing, Damage, and Support.
    Tarot: Damage. Specializes in Magic, Status effects, and manipulating the battlefield.
    Mimic: Damage. Specializes in control, direct healing, and aiding allies.

Harmony

Harmony is a healing spec that specializes in AoE healing, AoE damage, and support abilities. Harmonic Bards are masters at multi-tasking and manipulating the battle field. They are also powerful spell casters in their own right even if not in a party. Foes who have underestimated Harmonic Bards have done so at their peril. All AoE songs have a 30 yard radius.

:::Sample Abilities:::

-Conductor= (Passive) Allows the Bard to channel music while moving and performing other actions.
    -Maiden's Call/Cry of the Wolf= Heals a target for a decent amount.
    -The Song of Life= (Channeled) Increases the health of all allies in range by 10%. Regenerates x health every x seconds. Also increases the health regeneration rate of your allies by x% Increases the power of Serenade and your healing spells.
    -A Song for the Soul= (Channeled) Increases the spell power of you and your allies by x, and increases you and your allies mana/resource regeneration rate by x%. Reduces the casting time of your healing spells, and reduces the damage your allies in range take from enemy casters.
    -Symphony of the Night=(Channeled) Damage done by your allies in range, heals them for x% of the damage they inflict on a target. In addition, SotN increases the damage of Cherub's Arrow by a significant amount. Its total damage is converted into healing for the most injured party member within the song's range.
    -The Journey of Thrall/The Return of King Varian= (Channeled) Damages enemies in range. Each time damage is done to a target one of your allies' damage and movement speed is increased for x seconds. This effect has a short internal CD. Increases the healing and attack power of Magic Sword.
    -Siren's Call= (Channeled) (CD) You pull all enemies within 10 yards towards your location, making you invulnerable to their attacks. Lasts 6 seconds. When the song ends, all enemies in range are damaged and stunned for 2 seconds.
    -Reverberation= Sends a wave of sound through the ground in all directions. Friendly targets hit by the wave within 10 yards are healed, but also send the wave outwards from their location, reducing range each time. The healing from Reverberation is more intense the close the target is to the starting location (the Bard).
    -Duet= (CD) Allows you to sing 2 songs at once for 30 seconds.
    -Amplifier= (Passive) Your target has a chance to spread your song's effects to other targets within 10 yards.

Tarot

Tarot is a very powerful DPS/Support spec- if the odds are in your favor. Success or failure at Tarot depends on chance, forcing some to avoid this spec in favor of other, more dependable playstyles. In lore, Bards who follow this path are very mysterious, preferring to err on the darker side of their abilities to manipulate friends and foes alike with illusions and magic. The Bards of the Tarot walk a very thin line between order and chaos.

-Improved Tarot Card: (passive) Increases the damage and mana return from your Tarot Card ability. In addition, you have a chance to reduce you chance to summon a Devil Card when you shuffle.
    -Shuffle Deck: (instant, 10 sec CD) Core ability. You shuffle your deck, summoning a random tarot card. The tarot card chosen can cause various effects. Here is a sample;
    -The Fool Card: Damages your target, resets your cooldowns.
    -The Magician Card: Hits you or a target with a random Mage spell. If the spell hits you, the damage is double, but the CD for Shuffle Deck is reset.
    -The Sun Card: Restores a large portion of your life. If at full health, the sun card will stay with you for 15 seconds and will heal you when damaged.
    -The Star Card: Allows you to teleport either 40 yards in any direction. After its use, Shuffle Deck's CD is reset.
    -The Moon Card: Hits your target with a blast of Chaos power, damaging them and stunning them for a random amount.
    -Judgement Card: Deals damage to your target and converts 200% of the damage into Mana.
    -Death Card: Deals damage to your target. If the target dies, the CD of shuffle is reset.
    -Devil Card: Your luck has run out. You are damaged and stunned for 2 seconds, and the CD of shuffle is doubled. If you draw the Devil Card again, you die.
    -Puppet Master: (CD) (channel) Grants a friendly target half your 2 highest stats, and converts them into their highest stats for up to 20 seconds. While engaged, Puppet Master heals the target unit at the cost of mana. If the Bard runs out of mana, the effect ends.
    -Dealer's luck: (passive) Shuffle Deck increases the chance of a secondary effect for Magic Sword or Cherub's Arrow.
    -Eye of Eidolon: (passive) Using Tarot Card or Shuffle has a chance of summoning the Eye of Eidolon. The Eye can aid the Bard, but can also do absolutely nothing, or even disrupt the Bard when he least expects it. Here is a sample of its abilities;
    -Curse: The Eye curses the target, causing the target to miss more often. If dispelled, the Eye will damage the target.
    -Blessing: The Eye heals the bard and gives him a low spell power buff.
    -Nightmare: Puts targets in an AoE to sleep for up to 20 seconds, and applies a powerful DoT that lasts for up to 26 seconds (significantly less on players). Damage will not break Nightmare. If targets die in the Nightmare, you are given a blessing.
    -Reraise: If you die in the Eye's presence, Eidolon may reraise you.... Or he will just let you rot.
    -Sacrilege: The Eye punishes you for being disloyal, disarming and silencing you for 6 seconds.
    -Fire Eater: You consume a hostile magic spell, restoring your health and mana.

Mimic

Mimics are Bards who were once expert Mimes and magicians. Over time, their ability to mimic other people, creatures, and even inanimate objects grew to a near supernatural level. Some of these mimics have continued their trade as entertainers. However, others have sought a more contentious path; A path where the mimic has started to become that in which they have copied. If not checked, there is a good chance that the mimic will lose itself to the various forces it is trying to imitate. Many hide their appearance because they feel that their actual face is a mask for the true being that lies within.

The majority of this spec's abilities come from the Mimic ability.
    +How Mimic works: The Mimic will target, and cast mimic, or get hit with the ability to receive that ability. There is a chance for Mimic to fail. If the ability is overwritten, the Mimic must find the target again to regain the spell. Some abilities can only be copied by being hit by them, and some abilities can only be learned through Mimic. Mimic's result is completely random, so if you enjoy an ability, make sure you don't overwrite it! You can only have up to six mimic abilities on your toolbar. However, those six abilities can be whatever you like. For example, if you wish to become like a Dragonkin, you can have all six of your mimiced abilities be Dragonkin abilities. If you wish to be like a Beast, all six of your mimiced abilities can be Beast abilities. It's completely up to you. You could even collect all healing abilities and be a competent healer! You should be able to swap these abilities around like talents or glyphs. Giving each Mimic a unique and personal playstyle.
    -Mimic Subdivisions: Mimic Humanoid, Mimic Beasts, Mimic Mechanical, Mimic Undead, Mimic Dragonkin
    +Note: Mimic Humanoid includes the classes as well as the humanoid NPCs.
    -Mimic Mastery: (passive) Any ability you copy with Mimic becomes permanent until you overwrite it with something else.
    -Sketch Book: (passive) Allows you to store mimicked abilities for future use.
    -Sleight of Hand (passive) After hit with an attack, you damage the enemy target with the exact same attack but with increased damage.
    -Masquerade: (CD) You transform yourself into your target for up to 1 minute. Taking on their form, and their abilities. Cannot be used on player characters, or bosses.

Misc.

This class was originally conceived as a class made up entirely of heals. However, as I completed this, I chose against it, and made it a standard hybrid class. That could still be made the case, but I think having this class be DPS/DPS/Heal is better overall. The other two specs could be converted to healing though, if necessary.

Closing

First and foremost, thanks everyone for reading. Thanks to the artists for the pictures. All pictures are property of the artists. Thanks to Blzzard for making WoW in the first place. Hope everyone enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed creating it. This is the last class I wanted to theorycraft, and I'm kind of glad its over. LoL! Anyways, please vote in the poll and feel free to comment. I enjoy the feedback.

Given that Blizzard hates classes bringing anything unique, I think a bard is unnecessary. The days of your spec actually making an impact are over.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Given that Blizzard hates classes bringing anything unique, I think a bard is unnecessary. The days of your spec actually making an impact are over.
    Basically this. Shaman are already the 'support' class of the game, that's why Blizzard refuses to buff us in our solo capability. We don't need another shaman event happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    My life would be complete if we had sonimancy in the game. I've been lobbying it for years. BARDS. YES.

Deleted
    WoW is pretty heavily derivative of D&D (and of course Warhammer which is itself derivative of D&D). So in that regard it would be a nice nod, and fit right in with everything else. To do it blizz style, there has to be some kind of inversion or twist in the implementation of a classic archetype from fantasy RPGs.

That said, adhereing to principles laid out in at least 3 DMGs, it is better to adapt a class that exists than build (and balance) a new one from scratch. I would propose Shaman gets a 4th spec (like druids) and that 4th spec is Bard. Then you let 'civilised' races play shamans on the same kind of rationale that forsaken can play priests (the implication is they are ordinarily shadow spec). That is to say, all Belf Shaman NPCs would clearly be of the bard spec. How would you identify them? They wield 2 handed axes back to front like a guitar.

Under this idea, the Shaman 'Bard' spec would be a 2nd healing spec- with a buff/support focus. I would make the healing generally not as good as other healing specs, but allow for unprecedented buff potential, different songs increasing speed, damage, mana regen, defence, etc... In a raid or RBG they'd be useful to most members of the team at different points, and if played well will spend their time running about dropping well timed buffs to different players at different times.

I would resist the temptation to make them overly squishy; rather, nodding at bard history I'd them just-barely-ok at traditional roles like damage, tanking, and healing. This would also mean a good bard would be one that steps in temporarily to multi-task and help with damage, healing or tanking when the team slips up. In classic form, a Bard would make for a decent class choice for team leaders, as they can give buffs to people as they direct them in mumble, and even roll up their sleeves if the situation gets ugly. If they get threat (or focused) they'd survive longer than a clothie, too.

I really liked this idea, well most of it, some things weren't as great. I think it's because how awesome the stuff I liked was.

I'm a person that was/ is? very against a bard class and wow, and this thread made me like it a lot more. If blizz implemented the bard with concepts from this i'd like it a lot.

Here's a list of what I really liked

- I really like the first picture, it looks like a great way to add another physical ranged class. It's sorta like a rogue-esk not really but its got that effect-ish idk.
    - This could tie-in with the Darkmoon fair or something.
    - I like how he's a magician, but not like a mage.

What I didn't like.
    - The last two pictures looked like final fantasy and a warlock. not sure if these could be improved or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abysire View Post
    Basically this. Shaman are already the 'support' class of the game, that's why Blizzard refuses to buff us in our solo capability. We don't need another shaman event happening.

This concept isn't the traditional support Bard. This Bard concept is like a more modern WoW class which can heal, and do moderate DPS for leveling purposes. The Bard I created is similar to a cross between a Holy Priest and a Discipline Priest. Meanwhile, Tarot and Mimic are simply DPS specs.

I was considering making the entire class a healing class. Tarot and Mimic could easily be converted in that way, but for simplicity's sake, I just went with DPS for the last two specs.

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post
    I really liked this idea, well most of it, some things weren't as great. I think it's because how awesome the stuff I liked was.

I'm a person that was/ is? very against a bard class and wow, and this thread made me like it a lot more. If blizz implemented the bard with concepts from this i'd like it a lot.

- I really like the first picture, it looks like a great way to add another physical ranged class. It's sorta like a rogue-esk not really but its got that effect-ish idk.

What I didn't like.
    - The last two pictures looked like final fantasy and a warlock. not sure if these could be improved or something.

Thanks man. The pictures were a pain in a butt to find. Tinkers and Rangers were a lot easier to source for, since both had some presence in Warcraft. I did change the Mimic's picture though, so I hope that helps. If you can find some more fitting pics for Tarot and Mimic, let me know. You definitely have the essence I was going for; An entertainer/Magician like what you find in Darkmoon fair.

Deleted
    I really like your new class ideas (this and rangers/tinkers), this seems really cool, a bit like asian mmos class types, but it would be great in WoW. All the classes in WoW are so generic, so typical, you can play them in almost every game, on top of that they normalise (not sure it's a good word) them even more with giving unique buffs and abilieties to other classes. Bard especially Tarot and Mimic would be like a fresh air and I would play it.

A few questions...
    Would the buffs via the songs be the standardized buffs, for example the song that gives spellpower, would that be the normal 10% buff ? If so, the bard would be at a disadvantage because he has to channel it while everyone else just buffs it or has it as a passive aura. If not, wouldn't that make a bard a requisite in every group ?

And would those songs stack ? If so stacking bards could be very overpowering, especially in 25 raids. If not, a second bard would be quite superfluous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Blizzard should change the whole "leather 'till 40" thing.

I don't support Bards using any weapons except their instrument and abilities.

Maybe there are quest chains that give you the ability to upgrade your instrument every few levels or maybe that is a profession unique to bards where boss mobs drop some mats in addition to normal drops that you collect. Maybe each specialization has an instrument.
    Last edited by Bosen; 2013-02-12 at 01:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    A few questions...
    Would the buffs via the songs be the standardized buffs, for example the song that gives spellpower, would that be the normal 10% buff ? If so, the bard would be at a disadvantage because he has to channel it while everyone else just buffs it or has it as a passive aura. If not, wouldn't that make a bard a requisite in every group ?

And would those songs stack ? If so stacking bards could be very overpowering, especially in 25 raids. If not, a second bard would be quite superfluous.
    No, the Bard buffs wouldn't stack, and the Bard wouldn't be at disadvantage because healing Bards can move and preform actions while channeling. Also their songs do numerous things at once, outside of simply buffs. Having more than one Bard should be no different than having more than one of another healing class.

Deleted
    I like Bards, No remove monks and Gime a BARD!

I posted a Bard class idea myself a bit after your post asking how they could work, Teriz. It got zero responses, so it must not have been a great idea. You've gone down a completely different tack here, though, and it's interesting. Mimic seems like it would be impossible to balance to me, but it's a very unique concept and could work. Thematically I like the Tarot spec quite a bit. Harmony spec looks like a traditional bard, which is good. At least one spec should.

I agree that bards aren't terribly likely to show up in the near future, but I definitely wouldn't mind if they did. There are a lot of ways sound, music and narrative magic can fit into WoW, and fit well, especially considering the quality of the music already in-game.

Deleted
    Fucking brilliant. 10/10.

Deleted
    The bards spec/ and skills remind me of aion's new upcomming class. I don't think this fits in WoW but its not a bad concept

10+ Year Old Account
    Bard = Monk + Rogue + Priest + guitar. They should be left in the D&D books. We need another ranged class, preferably something that wears Int Plate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Bard = Monk + Rogue + Priest + guitar. .
    that sounds...AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post

What I didn't like.
    Well the first picture is a picture of a bard from a Dungeons and Dragons book lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    A buff-oriented class would be interesting, but they'd have to somehow make those buffs "optional" without compromising their viability - the only way these days seems to be by homogenizing them into other classes. Otherwise, the class would become mandatory, which is something that they're trying to get away from. That being said, Monks brought a few unique buffs to the table, so perhaps it could still work.

My main issue is that I don't see how a Bard class would fit in Azeroth, since as far as I know we don't have any representation of it yet in the RTS, WoW, or even in the general lore, or at least not as a combat class. Let me know if I'm wrong in this. Still, your idea is well thought out as usual, and gets me excited about the prospect of a new and unique class that I might actually want to see one day.
    Well my general concept was using the Darkmoon Faire as a basis. That event has bards and other entertainers in them constantly, and I just kind of went from there, incorporating Tarot and Mimes as the other 2 specs. Also there has been a few instances of music shown in the game and in WC3, but I largely agree that it is a very rare occurance. Thanks for the kind words.

I'm still betting on your Tinker, though. I really hope Blizzard sees that post, I'm aching for it.
    Same here actually. Tinker class is a no-brainer IMO. The Bard and the Ranger were just a challenge I wanted to tackle, since they would be so difficult to implement. I'd be lying though if I said that I wouldn't mind giving the Tarot spec a whirl.

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 08:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    I think Blizzard should change the whole "leather 'till 40" thing.

I don't support Bards using any weapons except their instrument and abilities.

Maybe there are quest chains that give you the ability to upgrade your instrument every few levels or maybe that is a profession unique to bards where boss mobs drop some mats in addition to normal drops that you collect. Maybe each specialization has an instrument.
    Yeah, this version of bards are more voice/singing based. I just couldn't imagine an orc playing a guitar or a harp. However, Orcs definitely have battle songs and war chants.

This is cool! I love the mimic concept.