Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    just throw the neighbor's toy-sized poodle at it, this is a perfect example of why they are called bait.
    'Let no man deceive himself. If any one among you seem to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.'
    Translation: you are a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    You live in århus, you dont face an actual risk of running into one D:
    Im from north of Copenhagen though. There was a moose once!

It's just a damn wolf! What's a big deal? It's not even a grizzly bear or anything. When did Danish people go from badass sea raiders to being afraid of a wolf?
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Dude, wolves are everywhere and they're nothing to be afraid of. We have a ton up here, and you see them all the time if you go a little bit north. I've never heard of a healthy wolf attacking a human being, and they tend to stay away from domestic areas for the most part. They're a very shy and skittish animal, and you have far more to worry about from coyotes or moose or even deer than you do from a healthy wolf.

Edit: After reading some of the replies about hunting, I just had to laugh. "Dose bears ain't gunna take mah jerbs!" Also, for people worried about wolves attacking humans, you've found a few links. Now go Google domesticated dog attacks on people.
    Last edited by Sykol; 2013-02-12 at 04:20 PM.

The most you would have to worry about is if your dog engaged in a territorial dispute with the wolf if the wolf managed to stumble onto your property. The aggression would probably be triggered by your own dog. If you know the wolf is in your area, consider bringing it in over night sealing your doggie door temporarily.

A lone wolf isn't a big threat, as far as it attack you or the dog is considered. Except for small prey like rabbits, a wolf almost always hunts in a pack. If you see a wolf pack, and they're in hunt-mode, and you do something to trigger their chase instincts, you're probably in some deep shit. If it's just a wolf, it might be curious, but it'll likely avoid any confrontation.

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 04:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert View Post
    There's aprox 100 to 250 wolves per 10km^2 in my country, and let me tell you, they are fucking scared of dogs, specially mastiffs.
    Domestic dogs are rowdy and make a lot of loud noise. Wolves make noise to communicate. Dogs make noise because they're bored and their owners aren't giving them enough of exercise. A wolf would probably hear a dog and think "Yeah, I'll have none of that." Oh, and Mastiffs are quite imposing creatures. XD
    Last edited by Veyne; 2013-02-12 at 04:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is news?
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    It's just a damn wolf! What's a big deal? It's not even a grizzly bear or anything. When did Danish people go from badass sea raiders to being afraid of a wolf?
    They are not more afraid then somebody else, but it is a big news because it is very unusual, they also get equal excited then a moose swim over from Sweden to...

The comic is about the snow... but it illustrate the neighbors reaction

Umh, this is really old news OP. This was semi-confirmed around 2 months ago or so?

<- Also from Denmark btw. And it was infact a wolf, witch has now been put down, and the skeleton has been brought to a museum. Its the first wolf inn many 100's of years I think I heard.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanous View Post
    your dog is in more danger than you. Wolves generally avoid humans. as for rabies you have just a good a chance of a rabid human.
    This is it exactly.

Its also more likely to rummage through trash then bother you.

Wolves are good creatures and should be respected. Its home is probably being pushed in on.

Have you had a freeze yet? The vast majority, if not all, rabid animals don't survive the first freeze of the year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    Umh, this is really old news OP. This was semi-confirmed around 2 months ago or so?

<- Also from Denmark btw. And it was infact a wolf, witch has now been put down, and the skeleton has been brought to a museum. Its the first wolf inn many 100's of years I think I heard.
    The problem with this is '100s' of year.
    Thats a down right lie. Honestly. Its because your wildlife protection agency does not want people actively searching/hunting/killing the wolves as they have done in the past.

Just as in the northeastern part of the USA not having 'large cats' (cougars). Liars. They just dont want people afraid.
    'People are dumb panicky and stupid' and will go out and hunt these animals because of missrepresentation and fear.

BTW friend works for the Dept of Wildlife peeps- hence my info

Quote Originally Posted by joeyflop View Post
    I'm confused as to why a sighting of wildlife is such a big deal in your country? There is no threat whatsoever from a single wolf. It would run away at the sight of you.
    I thought the OP was joking then he mentioned taking a damn knife to work :'(. It's a wolf not a damn lion!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Im from north of Copenhagen though. There was a moose once!
    I was gonna say. Didn't you guys spaz the fuck out when a moose from Sweden strolled over a few years ago?
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Are wolves rare in Denmark or something?

You should be pretty concerned. He probably has your scent and is sitting outside your house at night. I'm sure he can smell your fear right now as you post this. You need to arm yourself immediately (with more than a knife). Trust me - I'm a wolf botanist major

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are scared of Wolves, best you don't travel to Minnesota.
    Live Free...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I have an alligator in my back yard, wtf are you scared of a wolf for?
    i thought alligators are fine if you leave them alone. btw op yeah if your scared of wolves do yourself a favor dont ever travel to alaska. they have much bigger things than wolves there.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

wolves are really timid, they will do you no harm

That wolf told me he read your post, and likes the smell of your fear. He's posted up in the neighborhood, waiting for you to take the trash out one late night. He's right there in your bushes!

Quote Originally Posted by Aryl View Post
    I thought the OP was joking then he mentioned taking a damn knife to work :'(. It's a wolf not a damn lion!
    i work on a farm where is always handy to have a knife at hand I think im just gonna man up and hope for the best in the 1/1000000 chance i actually meet it.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ