Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by braeldiil View Post
    The ilevel increases really don't seem out of line from the previous expansions. Doing a little bit of poking, I see the following deltas from top-level dungeon gear at release to the top raid tier gear.

WoW 62 (BRS) to 92 (Naxx) multiple 1.45
    TBC 105 (heroic) to 164 (Sunwell) multiple 1.56
    WotLK 200 (heroic UP) to 284 (heroic LK) multiple 1.42
    Cata 346 (heroic dung) to 416 (heroic DS) multiple 1.2
    MoP 463 (heroic dung) to ???

With a Cata multiplier, top end would be 555, but that's by far the smallest increase. By the original/WotLK multipliers, we'd be looking at a 657 ilevel. And using the 1.45 multiplier, but reduced to 3 tiers instead of 4, we get 611.
    Not out of line? T14 alone has a 54 ilvl difference, and we've 2 tiers ahead of us. Also, WotLK had 4 tiers unlike every other expansion or the classic game and probably this expansion, which had 3 tiers. TBC had 3 1/2, but hardmodes/heroics only started with WotLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Because... why exactly? You like big numbers as a preference? So your addon never says 1m instead of 1,000,000, right? I'm amazed, but I guess each to his own.

For anyone else... think about a possible downsizing in an environment where everything, including your group mates, gets scaled down. So now you do 100k dps and imagine a squish that leads you to doing 1k dps. Your teammate is still going to be 10% better or worse than you. So when he does 120k now, he'll do 1,2k then. That won't change. And that's really the only thing that matters, isn't it?

On a frequent basis I am amused at the irrational fear of downscaling of numbers. To put it to an extreme, I could live with everyone doing 100 dps, as long as that other guy does 120, my contribution to the raid is the same. So is his. Bigger numbers don't change that, it's just more 0's. Or less for the downsizing. But then, I'm probably that unique snowflake that doesn't watch Skada or my FCT during a fight constantly...
    Or, you know, people don't want to see their characters getting weaker, just a thought.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Or, you know, people don't want to see their characters getting weaker, just a thought.
    yes exactly. If you play WoW for years you get stronger and stronger everytime. I understand if we would hit mob for 10% of his hp it would be the same if mob had 10k hp or 10m, I'm not a moron, but feeling wouldnt be the same it would be like a regress, like you did something wrong and start from lvl 1 once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwood View Post
    Nothing is really different, to us. The problem is in the computer. Why do you think your fps drops in a 25 man raid/world boss kill?
    Because there's a whole lot of graphics effects going around?

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Because there's a whole lot of graphics effects going around?
    Nope, wow is a CPU intensive game. Graphics will only hurt your fps significantly if you have a good CPU and a shite GPU, most people are limited purely by the sheer number of calculations going on. Don't believe me? Set up a program to chart CPU and GPU usage during a raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Item squish didnt happen for MoP because of the community's fear of losing a part of their content (soloing), which was a true and proven (by facts) claim.
    I could have sworn a blue post said that they didn't do the squish because internal testing showed that the developers felt like they were not getting any upgrades as the numbers on the screen were considerably smaller than before.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    if you read uinterview with one of the devs about it, you would know they want gear to be desired by everybody, they want gear help raiders overcome some roadblock bosses, and I bet they made such big gap in ilvl between lfr and normals because of al lthis complains about raiders are forced into lfr to get upgrades (now they wont)
    Of course they will, as long as Lfr offers better gear than 5m any progression raiders will be looking at the Lfr gear as a stepping stone, at least during the first tier of an expansion or when they decide to switch toons to benefit the raid.

Hell as someone who primarily plays melee their is not a single expansion where I did not have both a well geared ranged character as well as a healer because realistically no raider wants to give up their raid spot for someone else (and melee are the first to be asked)

Yet considering the massive grind to maintain a raidworthy character in mop I pretty much said F""k raiding I don't have the time to dedicate to multiple toons. and after 8 years of steady raiding on a minimum of 2 toons (sometimes 4) the grind of Mop just became to much and I canceled my account to seek enjoyment elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind spending 8 hours a day grinding away but when that time is spent doing the same repetitive tasks every day it gets old.
    Tend the farm, Do dailies, win a random battleground, do LFR, Do a normal raid

The only thing that really changes is that once you clear all lfr content that portion of the day gets dedicated to heroics, pvp or pet battles, all of which are highly repetitive in their own regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    If iLvl doesn't jump, they risk having content that doesn't require new gear in order to progress.
    Also see LKs opening raids, being cleared in Sunwell gear.

Thing is, this is no different than any other "insane stats" speculation. Now we have people in ilvl 500, something that people in Cata thought would break the game entirely. I'm not seeing any issues.

Because as soon as these "insane" jumps become current reality, it's suddenly fine.

Will we eventually see a squish? most likely, but I'm not going to support it until I am convinced that our relative power to old content stays consistent. No, I do not want level 95s to have ilvl 280 all of a sudden. And how would that affect old content? Say we go from 650-700 ilvl to 280-300 at 95. We've lost a ton of power. You think say, 60 content would be squished so much that the power of a 95 vs 60 raids would be consistent? Then we'd probably have level 60s soloing MC, because the curve would only even out
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2013-02-12 at 02:45 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Why did you jump from 522N ilvl to 570N in 5.4 ? that huge gap, i guess 548N ilvl for 5.4 patch
    Last edited by SuperKW; 2013-02-12 at 02:53 PM.

Deleted
    Nope, wow is a CPU intensive game. Graphics will only hurt your fps significantly if you have a good CPU and a shite GPU, most people are limited purely by the sheer number of calculations going on. Don't believe me? Set up a program to chart CPU and GPU usage during a raid.
    A CPU doesn't care if it has to do 2+7 or 2839405+39429410. It makes 0 difference between either calculation. Performance isn't an argument for ilvl whipe.
    The worse performance in 25man is from the bad netcode, 2.5 extra people casting shiny stuff and people who leave their recount on. There are no damage calculations done on your own pc. Only WoW sucky code dragging the whole system down to show graphics.

I would hate whipes but like OP said, they're pushing ilvl so hard now that even the best players feel how gear has become more important than skill or effort. No raider would care if there's even no ilvl difference between T14 and T15, we just want to beat encounters. It's not players asking for a whole new tier of inflated gear every half year, it's Blizzard that needs us to keep paying them while we gather all that inflated gear to overcome encounters. Very lame when Blizzard says they do it for our sake.

Quote Originally Posted by StijnDP View Post
    I would hate whipes but like OP said, they're pushing ilvl so hard now that even the best players feel how gear has become more important than skill or effort. No raider would care if there's even no ilvl difference between T14 and T15, we just want to beat encounters. It's not players asking for a whole new tier of inflated gear every half year, it's Blizzard that needs us to keep paying them while we gather all that inflated gear to overcome encounters. Very lame when Blizzard says they do it for our sake.
    I have to disagree with that. Many people care a lot about that, even though they wouldn't admit it. Just watch raid participation plummet when there's no upgrades to be gained.

I highly doubt the average rank and file player will ever want an item squish. The mathy people might. Maybe. But who the hell is ever going to say "no" to even larger, more absurd numbers? Especially casual players! I won't be happy till I have 27 billion health, and my standard weapon hit hits for a million damage. Scratch that. I won't be happy until I can go into, say, every previous expansion's heroic 25 man dungeons, and with one melee hit, cause enough damage for every boss to instantly die. BRING ON THE NUMBERS, BRO! Give me some ilvl 200000 gear, or some such!
    Last edited by Otimus; 2013-02-12 at 03:36 PM.

But isn´t this a thing like the national deficit... or personal debt. If I earn 12k per year and have 10k in debt, it is significantly worse than if I had 11k in debt and earned 100k per year.

You are saying ´never´has the ilvl gone up by 200 in a single expansion.. But really you should be talking about it as a percentage. Increasing the ilvl of gear 13 points when it is 400 is significantly less than increasing it by 13 ilvls when it is 100. Not going to track down the numbers to do the math, but my guess is WOTLK had a much larger jump in ilvls (as a percentage) than MOP will.

The devs have said in the past that they thought 13 was a good number because it showed progress. When you start having gear differences of 6 ilvls, it is nice, but doesn´t feel significant to your power.

I think it is fine, it is just a number.

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst thing I can see from this increase in iLevels is the next expansion leveling curve. Since you can hit 90 with an iLevel around 430 they will have to tune the next expansions starting mobs/quests to be able to be done by people with fresh 90 gear. Meaning people with what, a 600+ iLevel? come next expansion will just burn through the content extremely fast, faster than past expansions I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeriscats View Post
    The worst thing I can see from this increase in iLevels is the next expansion leveling curve. Since you can hit 90 with an iLevel around 430 they will have to tune the next expansions starting mobs/quests to be able to be done by people with fresh 90 gear. Meaning people with what, a 600+ iLevel? come next expansion will just burn through the content extremely fast, faster than past expansions I think.
    Isn't that easily remedied by having adventuring supplies vendors, like this expansion has?

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    if you read uinterview with one of the devs about it, you would know they want gear to be desired by everybody, they want gear help raiders overcome some roadblock bosses, and I bet they made such big gap in ilvl between lfr and normals because of al lthis complains about raiders are forced into lfr to get upgrades (now they wont)

It's pretty obvious that 5.2 gear is so high iLevel because they want progression raiders to have to do LFR and Dailies because a) it makes them play more, and b) it puts good raiders in LFR to carry the baddies.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I'm just sick of the gear grind in general -.- You spend weeks/months grinding for some incredibly rare item just for it to become useless in 3months time. It's really not worth my time and effort to do dungeons, raids and scenarios -.- I may as well just grind the things that do carry over through the expansions such as gold,pets,mounts , professions and rep >.<
    You just described the entirety of an MMO lol. You progress... get new gear and replace the last "must have" set of gear. It's like replacing that favorite epic you had with a green for the new expansion because its a big improvement. I remember replacing my Darkmoon Card : Greatness with a green... it made me cry inside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    It's Crown of the Heavens, not Tinfoil Hat of the Paranoid...
    I want that hat for transmog.... Can I have it pretty please?

Nothing is really different, to us. The problem is in the computer. Why do you think your fps drops in a 25 man raid/world boss kill?
    Oh i don't know... all the graphics maybe? A lot more math goes into showing a player tossing flashbang-bolts than goes into subtracting 200K hitpoints off the boss' HP, multiply the lightshow by 25, and a heck of a lot more work goes into visuals (and processing location and animations) for the 25 people present (Add the mob(s) to that as well) than goes into basic arithmetic concerning HP/damage...