Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Instead you prefer to see 1.654.235 on your screen? Or how about on extreme encounter with damage multipliers, would 10.325.643 be something you'd like to see frequently?
    What's so hard about reading 1.6M or 10.3M?

Item squish would only hurt soloing old content so that's a big no for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilarith View Post
    Working with large numbers is harder than working with small numbers. Performing a calculation like, say, x*y, involves more computational operations if x and y are ten million, than if they're ten. Not necessarily a million times more complex, but still more complex.
    NO, you lie!

Once again, as long as you're using same type and, for pretty much every real PC in existence used for server today this will be either 32-bit or 64-bit float, it doesn't matter if number is 1 or ten million. They'll calculate at EXACTLY SAME SPEED. PERIOD.

That, in turn, means that for a set of calculations, Blizzard needs more powerful hardware, and more powerful cooling to keep it running. On the level of a home computer, this is near negligible, but for a large server farm, running millions or billions of these calculations per second, the consequences of using larger numbers when smaller numbers could be used add up. I'm talking about the power you need to supply to the servers, the upgrades you need to perform, the number of servers you need to run, etc.
    Fucking lie.

This might seem nonsensical to some, but it is quite real.
    Nonsensical and fucking lie. Insisting it isn't doesn't makes it any more true.

If Blizzard can return to running calculations involving tens or hundreds, instead of thousands and millions, the hardware they have becomes relatively more powerful without a physical upgrade. Costs of running server farms drop slightly. Players eventually get used to it, and bingo, the problem is staved off for another two or three expansions.
    No.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Do you want, say your Thunderfury or Molten Core Ragnaros Mace from Seven Years ago and then never ever chase for another weapon?
    I sure would, why not? Why not have AN OPTION to do so?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    I sure would, why not? Why not have AN OPTION to do so?
    Because this is an MMORPG, a major part is about character progression. And one way of progressing your character is the gearing process.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Because this is an MMORPG, a major part is about character progression. And one way of progressing your character is the gearing process.
    Who said one slot not changed breaks the system?

All those numbers mean nothing OP, they are just numbers, why are you scared of them?

Big numbers dont justify the hit on the possibility of doing old content if you squish them.

Dont be afraid of big numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Your idea makes no sense.

Sounds fun though, all weapons are now purely cosmetic. Stats come from.. what?
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

The guys who actually matter. In other words, Blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Your idea makes no sense.

Sounds fun though, all weapons are now purely cosmetic. Stats come from.. what?
    From weapons? Did I ever mentioned that how I want to use the same weapon, no I did not. Let's see for example: lift the draconic transmog restrictions already?

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The guys who actually matter. In other words, Blizzard.
    Hard to take them seriously lately given how they caved in to Valor point issue.