Spec to do dailies

My main spec is holy and this puts me in a dilemma as I cannot use that gear for dailies.
    I am not sure which spec to choose for dailies (Prot or Ret).

The following are based upon my playstyle while leveling
    Prot gives me superb survivability but has one of the worst dps in the entire array of classes in wow.
    Ret has decent dmg but has subpar survivability.

Which spec do you guys use for dailies ?
    And my pally is a fresh dinged 90 (ilvl 441) and so I am thinking that I once get good gear on him things will be better..but still not sure for WHICH spec to get gear though..lol..prot or ret.. ?

Thanks for your time guys and help me out plz

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ret and Prot use very very similar gear.

Also... Prot DPS REALLY isn't that bad. Play whichever one you enjoy more, it's just dailies.

Deleted
    It's really depends to you. I love prot, so even daylies i do in prot spec(90%)

Ret's damage isn't spectacular at low iLvl's, and it's survivability suffers. In fact, I'd go as far to say that ret's damage IS it's survivability for a large part; meaning that as ret I burst something down so fast that it doesn't have time to hurt me. Granted, my ret gear is decent enough that I can AOE down a clump of 5 and come out relatively untouched, but at 441 you'd likely be better off pulling 1-2 at a time.

Prot, on the other hand, has piss poor damage at low vengeance, but you'll never die. You'll have to round up 5-15 mobs to get any noticeable damage levels, and probably will run into griefing and/or leashing issues when doing dailies in crowded areas. If you pull 1-2 at a time, you'll likely bore them to death before you actually do significant damage (unless you get a fair amount of GC AS procs).

My suggestion would be to spec ret and pull 1-2 mobs. Supplication makes FoL 100% crit, which makes for nice top-offs after a KB. Couple that with the DS glyph (5% heal on use) and you're pretty good on heals, with WOG as an emergency and LOH as a SRS emergency button. Other good glyphs would be TV and Div Prot (10% dmg redux after using TV, and 20% dmg redux to all sources on DivProt). For talents, you can take whatever you like for the most part, but I'd suggest LAotL, FoJ, selfless healer (insta FOL is nice) OR SS (semi-passive absorbs aren't bad either), clemency, HA (using this when pulling a group to allow you to spam cast DS with the heal glyph is great for mowing down mobs and healing simultaneously), and Prism (great for tagging things when cast on self for a heal, or good nuke that also heals you).

As stated above though, ret and prot gear is largely the same, especially if your goal is just daily content/heroics. Try em both and see what you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

You'll probably find that for most dailies Holy is as fast as Ret/Prot can be, which is sad

Quite a few times I've found myself grouping with retadins in fairly decent off-spec level gear, only to horribly murder them in damage, while wearing a shield and being impossible to kill, and thats with standard Spirit/Mastery stacked gear

If you can grab the full 450 DPS set though, Ret will be slightly better than Holy till you start to get your epics rolling

To give you a comparison, my Ret gear is 3/5 LFR with some nice bits of normal gear, with very few heroic pieces left, the ones that are there are Bis, my Holy gear is ilvl 489 4 piece

You can do dailies as Holy as Xs pointed out.

Ret is probably slightly faster at killing grouped up mobs, but you'll need gear/quick thinking to live. Basically idea is to pull like a tank, but actually kill the mobs fast (unlike as prot).

You can change talent/glyphs on holy make shockadin dps daily spec and do some nice dmg

Deleted
    with ret is no problem use your cd's everyt e when the are ready, switch to SoI when you are at low hp and maybe cast some flashlights and you never have probs. with big mobpacks use blending light with glyph and aoe them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrocurious View Post
    I just daily as holy. I have two holy specs, one for healing and another with the holy DPS glyphs and talents. It doesn't take too long, though I wish holy had some decent AOE other than the 90 talents...
    As far as I know, there are very few dailies that require you to kill AoE mobs. you should be able to solo pull most mobs as well. and if not, you got repentance as a CC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Ret and Prot use very very similar gear.

Also... Prot DPS REALLY isn't that bad. Play whichever one you enjoy more, it's just dailies.
    it's pretty terrible

though to be fair

ret damage outside of cooldowns is also pretty terrible

it's like playing a fury warrior without colossus smash and like 10% crit

If doing dailies, I'd just be Ret and spec Divine Purpose since you can switch your talent to Holy Avenger if you need it pretty easily

I actually prefer Holy Avenger for dailies. Pull a large pack (5-10 mobs) pop wings/dp and go to town - use LoH if you bit off more than you can chew. Between cds just pull 1-2 at a time and burst them down.

There is a huge difference in gear levels though. I probably couldn't have done that as effectively in 463, but its pretty easy at 490.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    it's pretty terrible

though to be fair

ret damage outside of cooldowns is also pretty terrible

it's like playing a fury warrior without colossus smash and like 10% crit

If doing dailies, I'd just be Ret and spec Divine Purpose since you can switch your talent to Holy Avenger if you need it pretty easily
    The damage is terrible unless you pull entire packs at a time, which I've found to actually be faster than trying to go through them as Ret. Just pick up Light's Hammer and stack like 13-15 mobs if you can. Shado-Pan dailies are pretty easy to do this with and so is Domination Point. Other than that, I'd say just go Ret.

Ret for most dailies, sometimes I'll just stay prot and grab a bunch of mobs at once and aoe them down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Prot all the way. Honestly, with a decent weapon the damage can be pretty good. The trick is to pull a fair amount of mobs to really get it rolling, since most of your damage will come from Vengeance stacking. That's why a lot of tanks in this tier can do as much, and sometimes more, damage than most DPS can.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Do it as ret or holy, it will be faster than doing them as prot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.