Thread: WoWDB Feedback

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Linked NPCs for Boss Encounters

To clarify this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    One example that repeatedly bothers me is the fact that council-style instance bosses haven't been linked into a "boss encounter" so you have to look up their names individually. Fights like the Valentines day boss, the MV dogs, Will, Spirit Kings, the Protectors in Terrace, etc, etc. It's very irritating when looking them up, looking up loot, or even when I want to post comments.
    There needs to be a "Will of the Emperor" page that shows the individual NPCs, loot, and comments, instead of looking up the specific bosses themselves.

It's seems like a very minor thing but it is so so frustrating as a user because people want to look up Spirit Kings not one the four individual guys that make up the encounter whose names they dont even remember. Right now, typing "Spirit Kings" into the search boss doesn't even turn up any results, so it's not even like you can look it up to at least get to the individual NPC pages.

The individual bosses are all listed on their master raid pages and appropriately linked to the instances, but there needs to be a unique page for the encounters itself. I understand why it does this from a database perspective, but it makes no sense from a user perspective. No one thinks of NPCs in council-style fights as individuals, they think of them as a collective singular unit "boss." Given that multi-NPC encounters are pretty common and Tier 14 alone has four bosses like this (Stone Guardians, Spirit Kings, Will of the Emperor and Protectors of the Endless), I'd say this should be something the devs should prioritise.

Filter Improvement

First, I want to say in general I think the filters are great and something one thing that is better than wowhead right out the gate.

That said:

I want to be able to apply filters to something I've already looked up. For example, if I look up a boss by putting his name in the search box, I want to be able to filter his loot to just normal/LFR/Heroic/Elite/whatever. Or if I look up a gem by the name in the search box, to be able to filter the results by stats for cuts. You can't do that now - you have to start right away from item / gem / added in Mists / blue quality / orange colour / intell. I don't think most people look up that way; it's too cumbersome. They throw Vermillion Onyx in the box and then want to filter the results to relevant cuts. It is especially annoying for looking up boss loot since you can't filter by boss. So you either have to look up the boss itself and pick through the search results with the normal/elite/raid/LFR duplications, or you have to look up the raid instance itself via the filters and pick through the results for the particular boss whose loot table you wanted to look up.

Search Engine

Your search engine sucks. If I typo on spelling or only remember half the name, it's not smart about suggesting alternatives. On one hand, I am dumb and this is my problem. On the other hand, it's very realistic to acknowledge that members aren't going to remember if it's spelled Tsulong or Tsulang, or if there is a hyphen or apostrophe somewhere that they are forgetting, which is why the page isn't yielding results. I shouldn't have to look up something to look it up.

Finally, if you look up something that only has one search result, it should go right away to that page.

OKAY I AM DONE FOR THE MOMENT.

(I warned you I was a pain in the ass)
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-02-12 at 08:50 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Well i can tell you all the same stuff that has been said, but why not intergrade it more into MMO-C.
    I mean most of us have large screens and the mmo-c boards are only like 50% covering my screen. You could add the item search box here.
    Or even let the search box from mmo-c search WowDB to. Also topic linking from mmo-c to said Item and back ofc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though I use the WoWDB addon to help, I still use Wowhead more
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

wowhead is just too much superior

10+ Year Old Account
    wowDB needs something to stand out from wowhead. You have it to similar to wowhead. If its the same exact thing why would i switch? You must create your own nitch. Be innovated with your ideas. What would be something that wowhead does not have to offer the community that you could? Why is mmo-c, icy-veins, wowhead so popular? Highlight your pros to use wowDB instead. Hold contests, engage the users more. Wowhead is a good place to go for information on quests, mobs, etc, what could you do better to improve that user experience?

Don't believe that becuase wowhead is so big and popular doesn't mean it can't fall to another DB. Think myspace vs. facebook. thottbot vs wowhead. You must keep ahead of the game or you will lose. Cater to the top % of players, everyone want to be like the cool kids...

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    It's a crappy ripoff of wowhead and totally unnecessary.
    This is pretty much what I think when I get to wowDB, if I ever get linked to it I instantly press the wowhead link.

It's horrible to look at and there's no information there. Why add the information when it's already available elsewhere? That's what most wow players think.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I was missing back then (and what is still missing) is the language option. Let's say I was searching for the 'Brustschutz des Naturzorns' (Chestguard of Nature's Fury). Wowhead told me, that I would need (among other things) 50 'Flüchtige Leben' (Volatile Life). So I clicked on 'Flüchtige Leben' and saw who dropped it. Most of the times, I switched on the english version after this and clicked on 'comments'. As you can see, there are still no 'Kommentare' on the german version, but 33 on the english one.

For anybody playing the game in a different language than english it's the first choice. What I would have really liked back then when I was playing WoW was german (or any other language) choice with english comments, because most of the comments are in english.

And please, if you update all the cool things that are suggested in this thread, do the same for GW2DB (-:
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another thing to add is how you could integrate it with MMO-Champ news.

If you go to wowhead news and look at their post about the new weapon models: http://ptr.wowhead.com/news=210593/5...5weapon-dagger

They have a lovely section with pictures of the different weapon types that you can click on and see in 3D instantly.

On MMO champion however, you just get a picture with a shit list and not even an image of the item. I click the normal list and I have to scroll through all the crap to find the 1H sword model.

WoWhead has been doing news for a while, and in my opinion better than MMO-Champ at doing it because it's integrated with the community and the 3dmodel viewer. MMO is falling behind and needs to come up with some innovative and fresh ideas instead of just massive blocks of text with the occasional picture and video.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    That WoWhead is also accompanied by a darker background makes extended viewing on a large monitor less eye-straining.
    This is my biggest issue. Websites with white backgrounds are more difficult to read for long periods of time, and they strain the eyes. Much of why I really like WoWhead - it's got a dark background. Same with wowpedia, same with even the WoW forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wowhead's a lot better, in my opinion.

Made by the fabulous i4ni <3

Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    Another thing to add is how you could integrate it with MMO-Champ news.

If you go to wowhead news and look at their post about the new weapon models: http://ptr.wowhead.com/news=210593/5...5weapon-dagger

They have a lovely section with pictures of the different weapon types that you can click on and see in 3D instantly.

On MMO champion however, you just get a picture with a shit list and not even an image of the item. I click the normal list and I have to scroll through all the crap to find the 1H sword model.

WoWhead has been doing news for a while, and in my opinion better than MMO-Champ at doing it because it's integrated with the community and the 3dmodel viewer. MMO is falling behind and needs to come up with some innovative and fresh ideas instead of just massive blocks of text with the occasional picture and video.
    I'm not going to lie the front page news on here needs work... Some of the new post are just so massive and a lot of the blue post are just useless fodder.

I used to use WoWDB back when I started, but now I use WoWHead, when I look on the MMO-Champ links to you (ptr off) there tends to be a little info, and it would be silly if there was a lot of it, but still

10+ Year Old Account
    here is my take on it.

Due to fact it is new it will take some time to have as much as abundance of information as WoWHead. I think the biggest features that WoWDB is lacking is the ability to form gear list to view stats/compare items etc and 3D model viewing.

As someone earlier pointed out you need a different background. Feels like I am on different thread on MMO that has a list of or whatever.

At this point WoWDB for me has this purpose:

It is an intermediary between WoW head and the stuff that we see on front pages/news posts. It is nice to have a feature that can show you the item/its stats but as soon as i click on the link that takes me to wow db i just click on wowhead to read comments about the items/quest/etc and view 3D model if i can. If you want to be competitive you need to
    a) remove links to WoWhead so people will brows your page longer vs just skipping to what they want to see.
    b) add features that people "need" wowhead for (comments, 3d models, screen shots)
    c) create a different layout....it is needed

There are four major features that Wowhead has that attract users: Comments, Filters, Item Comparison, and a Model Viewer.

Comments will only happen with use, and it's going to take time. Promotions or contests encouraging comments will help, but Wowhead definitely has the age bias on this one. They've also got a mostly helpful community, where users help to police the comments. When WOWDB first implemented comments, I did not see the option to rate them up or down. That worried me a lot, because there would potentially be several nonsense or trollish posts. I've since read that moderators are helping to keep that out, which is a good sign. I'm not entirely convinced that each comment should need moderator approval before it's published though. One of the strengths, from an end-user point of view, of the Wowhead comment system is that your comment goes up immediately and can be voted or flagged for moderation when another user sees it.

Filters are another huge part, and something that doesn't suffer from age bias. The problem is that many of the Wowhead users (and make no mistake, Wowhead has a huge share of the database traffic) are used to having certain options: filtering by Expansion instead of a glorified Pre/Post-MoP designation; accurate spec options (Warlocks currently show Affliction, Fire, and Frost); editable Weight Scales (spec options are nice, but scales allow for personalized searches); the ability to filter results on-page without rendering a new page by right-clicking a column header.

Item comparison isn't a deal-breaker but is hugely convenient, both for simple item comparisons and for creating gear sets. Combining this with a weight scale allows users to make educated gearing decisions without going off to a different site.

The model viewer likewise is probably not a deal-breaker, but there are a lot of folks out there who make heavy use of such a tool. This also ties in with the item comparison system for people who like to come up with transmog sets, without resorting to external tools such as Machinima Studio or WoW Model Viewer.

These last two items bring up another point: Wowhead has options which are not necessary to run a database, but are very much in demand and can keep people using their service instead of going elsewhere. The Curse network has a few things going for it. MMO-C news/frontpage and forums are vastly more popular than those on Wowhead, and Curse.com is more popular for addons than WoW Interface. Tying in these services will keep people in the network and using those tools.

Speaking of network integration... Curse accounts for WOWDB. I know it was mentioned that they are not synchronized at this time, but that's another thing to consider. The mods on MMO-C forums can issue infractions on an account, and post counts are used to determine certain permissions like posting links. Those things can be leveraged on the WOWDB site to restrict access or allow users to post without going through a moderator approval process.

As for the layout, the menus and tools seem to be in acceptable locations but the color scheme is a little bright. You don't have to go dark, but the white and light gray scheme is a little intense for folks who spend several hours looking a a monitor. A warmer color scheme, like what is used here on MMO-C gets you out of the dark but doesn't attack the eyes.
    Last edited by Alaira; 2013-02-13 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    If you want to get it rolling, give people incentives to start pushing screenshots, comments, etc. and offer some swag to those contributing to get it off the ground.

You'll obviously want to be able to report on your end to filter out useless comments, bad screenshots, etc.
    Yup! We ran a contest a while back and it worked fairly well, will likely run more in the future. It takes me a few weeks to go through all of the comments and clean up afterwards, so we might be able to speed that up with more mods in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Demec View Post
    they wont reset Lich king 25hc, DW HC, raggy hc etc etc data so it takes years for the mount rates to settle down after expansions. Maybe you could do that better.
    We already reset drop rates somewhat proactively. See the Onyxia mount for the new higher drop rate, or similar mounts. If there is ever anything that needs to be reset and we miss it, a reset is just one email away!

Quote Originally Posted by Taira View Post
    Comments will only happen with use, and it's going to take time. Promotions or contests encouraging comments will help, but Wowhead definitely has the age bias on this one. They've also got a mostly helpful community, where users help to police the comments. When WOWDB first implemented comments, I did not see the option to rate them up or down. That worried me a lot, because there would potentially be several nonsense or trollish posts. I've since read that moderators are helping to keep that out, which is a good sign. I'm not entirely convinced that each comment should need moderator approval before it's published though. One of the strengths, from an end-user point of view, of the Wowhead comment system is that your comment goes up immediately and can be voted or flagged for moderation when another user sees it.
    Comments are added immediately, can be reported, up/downvoted, and currently are manually reviewed at a later date for contest purposes. We will continue to manually review them as long as it is practical.

Filters are another huge part, and something that doesn't suffer from age bias. The problem is that many of the Wowhead users (and make no mistake, Wowhead has a huge share of the database traffic) are used to having certain options: filtering by Expansion instead of a glorified Pre/Post-MoP designation; accurate spec options (Warlocks currently show Affliction, Fire, and Frost); editable Weight Scales (spec options are nice, but scales allow for personalized searches); the ability to filter results on-page without rendering a new page by right-clicking a column header.
    We can add filters for achievements/items from past expansions at some point in the future, but I'm not sure how important/useful the scales are. Is there any reason to use scales over filtering the AskMrRobot gear lists?

Speaking of network integration... Curse accounts for WOWDB. I know it was mentioned that they are not synchronized at this time, but that's another thing to consider. The mods on MMO-C forums can issue infractions on an account, and post counts are used to determine certain permissions like posting links. Those things can be leveraged on the WOWDB site to restrict access or allow users to post without going through a moderator approval process.
    Already addressed this, but comments aren't moderated at all right now. As far as penalties go, they will be shared across sites one day if MMOC ever gets Curse accounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wowdb needs leaderboard pages! Competition fuels participation!

"Highest Rated"
    "Most Comments"
    "Most Screenshot Submissions"
    ... "Coolest Dinosaur Avatar"

Also stats stuff would be fun/interesting like "top viewed pages," "highest voted comments" and "most popular pet/mount," etc.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-02-13 at 07:11 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I know you've already discussed it but, yeah, the comments are the dealbreaker for me really, not really sure you can do much about that as that just comes with age/use. Probably about 80% of the time I'm following a link to wowhead or wowdb, it's to check the comments. If it's to wowdb... almost never any comments. I'm not so picky as to turn down one over stylistic choices or whatever, really it's whichever one can provide the information I'm looking for.

For example, when some random person in Shrine demonstrated a very entertaining bug with Ruthers' Harness, I immediately went to wowhead to check the comments on it. I found an explanation there very quickly for how it's done. Check Ruther's Harness on wowdb... 0 comments.

There's no reason to use Wowdb when Wowhead is available. It doesn't offer a faster experience, a unique experience, or even a better experience. I don't know why MMO-Champ even links to wowdb

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Wowhead already has a large userbase and has been around for quite a while. You'd have to do something they haven't thought of.

One of the things that's made Wowhead so good imo is the big userbase. On just about every comment thread there are useful comments about how to find an item or other details that aren't typically listed (guides for quests, breadcrumb quests, locations, etc).

Also, Wowhead has that nifty 3D model viewer thing.

Do the language options on WowDB even work? I've tried switching to Spanish and the two Chinese options and nothing seems to change.