WW Heroic Spirit kings any tips?

so basically I just changed over from brewmaster to windwalker for my guild and my first time raiding (ever) as windwalker was this past reset. I still tanked stone gaurds but i dpsed feng and garajal and my dps looked pretty good in comparison to the rest of the raid (between 6-9 on most attempts which is fine for my gear). It was my guilds first time attempting spirit kings let alone our first week as a 25 man guild so we were all getting used to it but after one or two good attempts for me around 80k dps my dps sucked and i was always 12/13 around 60k dps which I could not figure out because if anything I was getting better at the movement.

most of our attempts had just been on the cleave/arrow guy but i noticed when we got passed him a couple times my dps would shoot back up to around 90k which leads me to believe its the movement that is still screwing me up.

Looking for ideas on a better rotation/priority management I know its mostly practice but figure someone may have a tip or two.

What I do right now: pop how ever many brew stacks i saved + pre pot before pull.
    - rising sun kick
    - tiger palm
    - fist of fury (i manage to just get it off as annhilate gets slammed down but i havent died to it)
    - rising sun
    - blackout x3
    - tiger palm
    - 1-2 more black out kicks (then just as fists comes back up we get the flank and have to move)
    - rising sun
    - fists

and so on.

is there anything I can do to fix numbers rather than just practice? (I cant link anything right now Im at work)

10+ Year Old Account
    How much haste are you currently carrying?

I can't tell you for certain how my damage looks on Spirit Kings - we've only run it as 10, and I haven't been logged in an attempt for a few months now.

It COULD be that you are popping Fists a bit early, but that shouldn't be a problem provided you aren't energy capping (which I assume you are not). Keep in mind, too, that other classes (rogue, DK) will have an advantage over you when there is more than one add - not only do the burst in the beginning (unlike us) but having the two bosses next to one another is a pretty good damage bonus to them.

It may well be the movement thing; but it could also be shields. Are you getting Slight of Hand? Are you auto-attacking through the first guy's shield (the only thing that will pop it are specials - autoattacks do not)? Are the shields being dispelled quickly?

One small thing i would like to add even though the rising sun kick damage is super good and you want to use it on cd the tiger power buff first will really help the beginning it could change your rsk to a 200 to a 275 crit easily.
    Another thing that you can do is during volley or even the first bosses aoe autos use touch of karma, it will give you a dps boost if you can use all of it.

thanks for the replies. so I cant check it right now cause i finished my raid tanking last night and thats how my char is logged but i believe im around 13.48 energy regen (ascension talented)

as for the shield mechanics. I have only hit them once (a sleight of hand on a wipe) for it all I do is esc and tab really quickly and usually our priest has it down by then for impervious shield sleight of hand we have stunned properly I have only seen the buff on myself once.

in regards to tiger palm thing - that would only really affect the starter but ill fix that. I copied a weak auras from another post on here and it has rising sun before tiger palm.

I don'y really cap except for the odd movement during a flank or pillage when expel harm is not up. is it worth it like glyphing spinning fire blossom to use while moving incase of capping?

Assuming your taking the cleave damage during the first add, you will spend a lot of time in front of the boss. Assuming you are not capping 15% exp, which you shouldnt, that meaNs a lot of parries. Then there is the movement during add walls.... 60k sounds a bit low regardless, but you will be behind.

Everyone pops cds at the start while ur being parried. I usually start out on the bottom of the meters on this fight, but end it near or on top. Time your cds well, use karma, and try to do what you can until the first dude dies... Thats where your dps will pick up

ok sounds good. and about the touch of karma i haven't really had a chance to test it in pve. is it going to stop me from dying on like annhilate and the 3rd shot of volley or do they nerf it in pve (making it only useful on the cleaves and 1 maybe 2 volley shots)?
    Last edited by Areohotah; 2013-02-12 at 07:01 PM.

Yeah if used right touch of karma is a huge dps boost if you can get it soaked fully. On spirit kings the cleaves are nice i think you can take about 2 with a touch of karma since they are delayed, but yes you can take 2 volley shots and get that huge 400k dot on the boss other things you could do is during the ability where you will hurt yourself with your damage use it there too to soak the damage if the debuff gets super high.
    Just dont try and soak annhilate it will always kill you.

10+ Year Old Account
    13.6 seems a bit high, but I'm not sure where my own is right now.

But yah - as others have said, I always start out at the bottom because we have people who peak at 300K at the start of a pull, while I'm lucky to peak at 190-200 (keep in mind that I am 502 equipped).

60K does seem low, but I think if you follow the suggestions here you should see some improvement. The ToK one should amount to an extra 2% damage, though I personally don't use it for Volley, even though it is (technically) a loss of ~400K, more if you use Fortifying Brew.

For Qiang melee should never get parry gibbed by him. You can stand on his back left and still get hit by the cleave.
    As for your opener you should almost always use Tiger Palm prior to RsK. The only time you should ever use RsK first is if that 1 second delay would result in 1 less RsK over the entire fight (which rarely/never happens).

It just seems like you aren't managing your movement properly. Since there's really no reason you should be under a 95% uptime on any boss in there (so long as dispels are adequate). One thing you can try out is dodging Flanking orders by running through it. If you have a decent connection (<150ms) you can actually run through flank without taking any damage after the animation goes out (similar to a warrior's wild strike). I wouldn't bother wasting alot of time with it unless you know you can do it every time, but it is something to keep in mind if you ever run into a situation where you have nowhere left to go.

I haven't done SK in a while, but I believe it's a 10 minute enrage, which is generally what you're going to be pushing the first time you kill it. For that reason it actually can be beneficial if you delay first Xuen cast by up to a minute so that you can have it up for a portion of the first 2 adds while they're together.

Another tip is that if you aren't already, use Sparring Glyph. Any damage you take for the first two adds adds stacks which can result in a complete deflection of things like Volley.

sounds good thanks for the info

didnt work on spirit kings last night but i saw a big dps improvement on my feng/gara'jal attempts and kills so I think I am just getting used to it. was doing 105k on feng attempts (last week i had 86k on our kill) we had a couple new people in so we wiped like 3 times on the kill i dropped to 95k because I was going out to soak each lightning fist which wasted time. gara'jal I actually got to go down into the shadow realm this week and I was able to keep on par with the rogue going down with me at 115k I probably cheated a bit with all the aoe in the shadow realm but every bit counts.

I am going to try the flank run you suggested I have done it a couple times so with some practice shouldn't be a problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Areohotah View Post
    so basically I just changed over from brewmaster to windwalker for my guild and my first time raiding (ever) as windwalker was this past reset. I still tanked stone gaurds but i dpsed feng and garajal and my dps looked pretty good in comparison to the rest of the raid (between 6-9 on most attempts which is fine for my gear). It was my guilds first time attempting spirit kings let alone our first week as a 25 man guild so we were all getting used to it but after one or two good attempts for me around 80k dps my dps sucked and i was always 12/13 around 60k dps which I could not figure out because if anything I was getting better at the movement.

most of our attempts had just been on the cleave/arrow guy but i noticed when we got passed him a couple times my dps would shoot back up to around 90k which leads me to believe its the movement that is still screwing me up.

Looking for ideas on a better rotation/priority management I know its mostly practice but figure someone may have a tip or two.

What I do right now: pop how ever many brew stacks i saved + pre pot before pull.
    - rising sun kick
    - tiger palm
    - fist of fury (i manage to just get it off as annhilate gets slammed down but i havent died to it)
    - rising sun
    - blackout x3
    - tiger palm
    - 1-2 more black out kicks (then just as fists comes back up we get the flank and have to move)
    - rising sun
    - fists

and so on.

is there anything I can do to fix numbers rather than just practice? (I cant link anything right now Im at work)
    This is a fight where Critical Strike will surpass Haste from quite a few stand points because there is a lot of movement depending on how your guild does the fight. You also have dead time between specials. Your rotation isn't going to change your damage much unless you are just doing it completely wrong in which you don't appear to be. I would reforge heavy into Crit and give it more looks it's a heavy movement fight you are rarely going to need the Haste to keep energy return going full. On our last kill I was active 99.2% and did 92K dps.

If you can provide your logs this would be much easier to assess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?