Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why do people distort the truth?

The more profficient you are on a subject of debate, the clearer you see the truth. I happen to come across people who have their own version of the truth, on areas I am extremely experienced to have an educated opinion.

For example, a friend of mine who started wow recently (while I play from eu beta) has the tendency to blame his teamates constantly for his PVP failures and yet praise himself for his PVP achievements. Knowing himself first hand and the game a lot better than him we can get involved into long discussions trying to make it apparent to him that the truth is the other way around but he still argues against my various and many arguments.

Or a typical post your ignorant poster will make on forums is that Alliance or Horde sucks on battlegrounds, depending on the faction of the distorted vision the poster has while there have been statistics which make the result of the games more or less even AND while the only common factor in his unlucky experience is himself.

The question could expand to more grey areas like politics or religion. While usually there the truth is somewhere in the middle of each sides arguments, a sensible person can see a side has stronger arguments.

My question, what I try to understand, is why do those people cant see the reality?

Is it a lack of experience?
    Is it a lack of intelligent sentiment to make reasonable conclusions?
    Is it a big ego as in lets blame anyone else?
    What else can it be?

And apologies if i am stereotyping, I am on a long streak awake and tired, as a secondary question do those people with their own versions of the truth finally see the light? ever?

Because when your beliefs are infallible, everything else must bend to accommodate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    because people don't like to be wrong

haven't you ever seen two people scream shut up at each other until someone finally shuts up?

It's much easier to see others failures than it is your own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people distort the truth to make themselves appear to have little to no faults, like your friend. Behavior like that starts very young and fault either lies in poor parenting (you're perfect and can do no wrong) or a warped psyche where their ego is the center of their world. Either way, they are never at fault.

Others distort the truth to further some agenda. Take any form of media for instance. The writers know they are twisting the information and they'll take the smallest comment or action and blow it out of proportion.

Ignorance can lead to distorted views, but those people actually believe what they say. They follow in their parents teachings that homosexuals are sinners, all Mexicans are lazy, and well, you get the idea.

There can be innocent distortion, and even that can cause a lot of drama. Just think of a blend of the game Telephone and personal options getting passed along the grapevine.

Edit: There are people who can see the errors of their ways, but it usually takes a major mental/emotional bitch slap! Kinda like gang members who cheat death a number of times only to see everyone they've grown up with murdered in one way or another. Eventually they gain perspective and maturity and work to turn their lives around. I don't think a person like you've described will ever 'see the light'.
    Last edited by Kaliani; 2013-02-13 at 06:35 AM.

A better question is why not distort the truth, if doing so is in your interest?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    A better question is why not distort the truth, if doing so is in your interest?
    Depends on how much of the truth you distort. What may be in your best interest now might not be in your best interest later.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Because "truth" is not, unfortunately, something that is objective when discussing subjective topics.

Because of ethics and morals. If I deliberately manipulate something or someone I might have trouble sleeping at nights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly people distort the truth of something due to pride. They don't want to be seen as mistaken in something they may be somewhat informed of. Another reason I guess would be cowardice. The fear of facing up to repercussions can easily add up over time.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    To avoid blame. Out of ignorance. Etc.

Or to use your grey areas as an example, as you said there is a good middle ground in both of those where everything can get along just peachy keen, but people like to pick sides and think their way is best and every other way leads to complete failure.

People are .. strange.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Because "truth" is not, unfortunately, something that is objective when discussing subjective topics.
    This...

Basically; truth or "reality" does not exist. Everything that happens is colored by what we see, hear, think, have experienced.
    Then there's the difference in personality. According to psychological studies, introverted people think in abstracts and facts whilst extroverted people think in the associated emotions and experiences. This means that any event will be seen completely different by those two different groups of people.

Truth, as a concept, has no meaning. Truth is always a personal interpretation of events.

Quote Originally Posted by Croga View Post
    This...

Basically; truth or "reality" does not exist. Everything that happens is colored by what we see, hear, think, have experienced.
    Then there's the difference in personality. According to psychological studies, introverted people think in abstracts and facts whilst extroverted people think in the associated emotions and experiences. This means that any event will be seen completely different by those two different groups of people.

Truth, as a concept, has no meaning. Truth is always a personal interpretation of events.
    At some level, there is truth in a situation. It's true that I am a man. It's true that I just drank a glass of water. It's true that gravity exists. Yes, some things will be interpreted differently but to toss out all truth and reality is the kind of entry level philosophy that I hear students spout in freshman level philosophy courses.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Sure I agree with that, but when I want to learn something about for example football, chances are the opinion of a veteran footballer is of higher value than say my grandmothers. There are cases that an unbiased speciallist will provide a better version of the truth than a non speciallist.

The more profficient you are on a subject of debate, the clearer you see the truth. I happen to come across people who have their own version of the truth, on areas I am extremely experienced to have an educated opinion.
    First, you shut your mouth instead of thinking you have a higher "educated" opinion. High intelligence simply means you can be wrong with authority. :P

You arrogantly assume those people do not have any experience that taught them their lessons too.

My neighbor is a terrible cook - and I perfected the best way to make hard-boiled eggs. One day, he told me he found the best way. Before I chided him, I smiled and asked him to tell me - getting ready to tell him the proper way to boil eggs, the right temp, how to place the eggs in the water, how to properly salt it, ect...

he told me to steam them using a steamer basket - and they come out perfect every time.

I went home and low-and-behold, his method was AMAZING!

So - stop assuming you're some superior intellect. Nobody likes to be looked down upon. You want respect - DEMONSTRATE it via action... not chiding or insulting or belittling somebody for their information.

NOBODY I now was ever motivated into liking their boss that calls them a moron and treat them like they don't know what they're doing, and as if he has all the power.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 07:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    At some level, there is truth in a situation. It's true that I am a man. It's true that I just drank a glass of water. It's true that gravity exists. Yes, some things will be interpreted differently but to toss out all truth and reality is the kind of entry level philosophy that I hear students spout in freshman level philosophy courses.
    A man asked Einstein "What is truth?". Einstein responded "What do you think is truth?". The man held up his sleeve and said "This is smooth". Einstein said "is it really?" and put his sleeve under a microscope. In there he saw thousands of fibers. To his perspective - it was smooth, but to a flee, it's the surface of the moon. To a microbe it's a mountain range.

No you are not a man... the truth is you are an organization of molecules and chemicals. You did not just drink a glass of water... several H2O molecules were tipped into the crevice of a complex organism via electron nerve compulsions and assailed own a long ventricle organic dual-purpose tube.

I have a brother... is it true? no - there are two biological creatures that share similar DNA codings.

...what lets us say "I'm a Man", "I drank water" and "I have a brother" are language values we created and assign to describe specific things and actions.

I'm sure you won't get it - but trust me... it's all about perspective.

Infracted: Please post less rudely and refrain from telling other users to shut up.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-13 at 04:21 PM.

You arrogantly assume those people do not have any experience that taught them their lessons too.
    How is the argument that expertise implies a better perception compared to the non expertised arrogant? And to correct you I did not assume they dont have any experience. I said their limited experience can lead them into falacies. If the first girl you flirt turns you down, does that teach you the lesson that girls turn down men?

So - stop assuming you're some superior intellect. Nobody likes to be looked down upon. You want respect - DEMONSTRATE it via action... not chiding or insulting or belittling somebody for their information.
    Where did I assume I am some superior intellect? Superior compared to whom? Where did I mention I want respect? Where did I child or insulted anyone? Where do you make that stuff up from?

NOBODY I now was ever motivated into liking their boss that calls them a moron and treat them like they don't know what they're doing, and as if he has all the power.
    Has your boss ever called you a moron? I can't see the relevance of that quote with the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    Where did I assume I am some superior intellect? Superior compared to whom?
    Saying it here:
    I happen to come across people who have their own version of the truth, on areas I am extremely experienced to have an educated opinion.
    Tell me that doesn't sound like a stuck-up opinionated person implying that they have superior knowledge than the person they're talking to.

You damn well know that too I bet... :P

Where did I mention I want respect? Where did I child or insulted anyone? Where do you make that stuff up from?
    I didn't say that that you want respect in that kind of context... that was you misreading what I wrote (a sign of finding the problem). What I meant is "What you WANT to solve your problem is respect from the person - and you demonstrate it via action" :P I'm telling you that's what you're looking for to get people to listen to you. I'm not saying "YOU WANT RESPECT!" as an accusation - I said it as a solution to you. :P

Warren Bennis wrote a book on leadership - and the title says it best: "Leadership is just like herding cats".

Has your boss ever called you a moron? I can't see the relevance of that quote with the topic.
    Yes you do see it... you just don't like it. And yes, one boss did call me a moron before... and I smiled when I replaced him. ^_^

My point is nobody likes a stuck-up twat who acts like they're superior to them. Perhaps you're doing it and don't realize it... the posts above seem to indicate this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    A man asked Einstein "What is truth?". Einstein responded "What do you think is truth?". The man held up his sleeve and said "This is smooth". Einstein said "is it really?" and put his sleeve under a microscope. In there he saw thousands of fibers. To his perspective - it was smooth, but to a flee, it's the surface of the moon. To a microbe it's a mountain range.

No you are not a man... the truth is you are an organization of molecules and chemicals. You did not just drink a glass of water... several H2O molecules were tipped into the crevice of a complex organism via electron nerve compulsions and assailed own a long ventricle organic dual-purpose tube.

I have a brother... is it true? no - there are two biological creatures that share similar DNA codings.

...what lets us say "I'm a Man", "I drank water" and "I have a brother" are language values we created and assign to describe specific things and actions.

I'm sure you won't get it - but trust me... it's all about perspective.
    It has to do with classical limits. Yes, I am a collection of molecules. So is my dog. I am clearly not a dog at our level of resolution. Sidestepping limits and resolution is basically arguing semantics. Also, to reject reality is to reject the reliability and basis for our investigations into reality, essentially compromising the entire enterprise of science.

The sleeve is smooth at the appropriate scale. That is true. The sleeve is mountainous at the appropriate scale. That is also true. They are not contradictory statements. A bunch of H2O molecules IS water. Water is a common name for H2O. A complex organism directing a stream of H2O molecules into a crevice IS the act of drinking. Yes, you do have a brother. Naming a characteristic that is true of brothers does not render the concept of a brother irrelevant.

These are good examples to illustrate that we create arbitrary concepts to describe things. These are not good examples to illustrate the fallibility of "truth" and "reality."

Tell me that doesn't sound like a stuck-up opinionated person implying that they have superior knowledge than the person they're talking to.

You damn well know that too I bet... :P
    But it can be true. I used to live in England for a whole 4 years. Someone else hasnt. An English person has lived there for their whole lives. When discussing about England is it wrong to assume that one person has more credibility over another? Should I call the English person a stuck-up opinionated person that clearly knows more on the subject than someone else?

Regarding the term respect as a solution, I don't get what the problem is whos respect is the solution. As I said in the opening post I am awake since monday afternoon, about to go to bed eventually. The reference is in regards that I don't get what the problem is.

Finally regarding the last point, I think I might agree. In reference to wow experience I think I am superior to my limited experience friend. Do I try to correct his perception that its his teamates faults for his loses, as much as I try to correct the average complainer that their faction sucks on battlegrounds? Do I think I am superior to either case? Yes I do.

10+ Year Old Account
    This right here is the reason. There is no reason not to if it will help you in some way.

For some, it is boosting their self-confidence. I see it all the time in LoL at every level of play. "It's not MY fault I lost the game, it's my teammate's." I've fallen into that pit many times myself so I'm speaking from experience. Their ego can't take the hit that it could possibly their fault for something.

For some people it's to further a hidden goal or agenda. Politicians are notorious for this. Why tell the truth when the truth will make you lose votes to the guy who isn't? This point isn't all bad though, because sometimes it's used for the protection of others. However, it's only good if it's at the expense of yourself and not a random scapegoat.