Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Patch 5.2 Update - You Can Keep Your Valor!

Patch 5.2 PTR - Build 16577

Patch 5.2 Update - You Can Keep Your Valor!
    It looks like the patch could be more than two weeks away now, so keep an eye out for the end of PvP season blog post.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    After reading your feedback and locking ourselves in dim, fluorescent-lit rooms for much deliberation, we have decided that we are NOT going to convert Valor to Justice and Justice to gold when 5.2 ships. Current Valor items will continue to require Valor in 5.2, and will be offered at a discount as listed in the PTR patch notes. Given that PvE and PvP currencies function quite a bit differently, Conquest will still convert to Honor and Honor to gold as previously discussed.

We’re making the Valor change for a couple of reasons, but primarily because we think a down-conversion under the new Mists endgame progression model just feels mean. We traditionally viewed this conversion process with each patch as a necessary evil to discourage hoarding—it’s not fun to feel like you can’t spend your Valor in the weeks before a new patch because you have to be ready to buy everything up. However, we have a Valor cap now to prevent excessive hoarding, many of the Valor rewards in 5.2 require raiding to acquire (for example, many of the ilevel-522 rewards are tied to Shado-Pan Assault reputation, which you’ll only gain rep with by raiding in the Throne of Thunder), and the LFR version has an ilvl-480 requirement, meaning you can’t hoard Valor on a brand new 90 and jump straight to the best stuff. All of these factors being considered, it doesn’t make good sense to take Valor away from players in this context. Down-conversions may occur for future patch releases depending on the circumstances, but for 5.2 it’s safe and snuggly where it is.

In addition, we’re making a change to ensure that there are some gear rewards available via the Kirin Tor Offensive and Sunreaver Onslaught, the two new factions with which players can earn reputation in 5.2 without raiding. The patch was shaping up to be a real challenge for players who don’t like raiding (including LFR), as our original design meant that no new Valor rewards would be available to them without needing to run Throne of Thunder. You can expect to see the Valor rewards on the Kirin Tor Offensive and Sunreaver Onslaught quartermasters updated on the 5.2 public test realms in the near future. These rewards are ilevel 496 and will only accommodate a few slots, as they aren’t intended to be very attractive to raiders (including those running LFR), but should give non-raiders something to shoot for in 5.2.

If you’ve already made plans and sank your Valor, don’t fret! As of this announcement, and even if you have 0 Valor currently, you still have enough time to cap out at 3000 Valor before patch 5.2 goes live. (It’s math!)

We’d love to hear your feedback about this change, and how you’re planning to earn, save, and spend Valor before the patch releases
    Last edited by chaud; 2013-02-13 at 04:37 AM.

This really doenst effect hardcore raiders at all. Its still going to be better to use your valor to upgrade since there are more stats on fully upgraded 517s than fresh normal mode 522s for some unknown reason.

Oh looked they listened......to the voices in their head!

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like how blizzard has been acting since MoP. Its like they are a new team of people or something. Guess loosing 3m subs made them change.

I don't see how it makes much of a difference. You can't spend that valour until you have lots of rep, so you might as well just spend it on upgrades now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I really like how blizzard has been acting since MoP. Its like they are a new team of people or something. Guess loosing 3m subs made them change.
    They've lost 500k since MoP came out, not 3m.

Also, first people say "listen to us!" and then when Blizzard listens to them they say "oh look, they're just doing whatever they are told!".

I'm 100% sure Blizzard thinks through changes and does what THEY think is best. It might not be the best choice there is, so Blizzard takes feedback and improves it. Quit trying to bash Blizzard every option you get, it gets tiresome.

Also, the change isn't as big as people think. It's not like people will be able to spend their valor for a few weeks on the new gear anyways. Starting with 0 valor now or at the start of the patch doesn't change anything except not getting any valor for a few weeks until you can spend what you have capped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess this means 5.2 won't hit in 2 weeks then.

"If you’ve already made plans and sank your Valor, don’t fret! As of this announcement, and even if you have 0 Valor currently, you still have enough time to cap out at 3000 Valor before patch 5.2 goes live. (It’s math!)"

If this is correct then 5.2 is in min. 3 weeks and not 2...

10+ Year Old Account
    Cap & spend.

OMG F YES...

means i acn get a piece or 2 still that i am after and hoard till i get the rep to buy a piece of gear outright.

Good change for alts. With keeping the amount of VP they currently have, and the reduction in VP costs for the 5.0 and 5.1 gear, this will make gearing up alts much easier.

I have a few alts that stand to pick up a 3-4 pieces of honored rep gear with this change.

Glad I spent 3000 valor points today then to upgrade my gear only to hear about this news. Time to farm back up to 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    They've lost 500k since MoP came out, not 3m.

Also, first people say "listen to us!" and then when Blizzard listens to them they say "oh look, they're just doing whatever they are told!".

I'm 100% sure Blizzard thinks through changes and does what THEY think is best. It might not be the best choice there is, so Blizzard takes feedback and improves it. Quit trying to bash Blizzard every option you get, it gets tiresome.

Also, the change isn't as big as people think. It's not like people will be able to spend their valor for a few weeks on the new gear anyways. Starting with 0 valor now or at the start of the patch doesn't change anything except not getting any valor for a few weeks until you can spend what you have capped.
    It is a big change. It means that any valor that doesnt fit nicely into costs of gear won't be lost. It means that people can save up and buy current valor gear (mainly DO) at reduced prices, thus more easily boosting their ilvl and power for 5.2 raids. It means that if I have 1500 VP right before the patch comes out, I don't have to buy a 489 item to replace a 483. I can wait and replace a more expensive slot 463 with a 496 or 489.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    It is a big change. It means that any valor that doesnt fit nicely into costs of gear won't be lost. It means that people can save up and buy current valor gear (mainly DO) at reduced prices, thus more easily boosting their ilvl and power for 5.2 raids. It means that if I have 1500 VP right before the patch comes out, I don't have to buy a 489 item to replace a 483. I can wait and replace a more expensive slot 463 with a 496 or 489.
    Yeah, but that's about it. No way to get a head start on the new patch, just helps you catch up easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    Glad I spent 3000 valor points today then to upgrade my gear only to hear about this news. Time to farm back up to 3k.
    At least you know there's at least 3 weeks for you to farm it back

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    This really doenst effect hardcore raiders at all. Its still going to be better to use your valor to upgrade since there are more stats on fully upgraded 517s than fresh normal mode 522s for some unknown reason.
    (looks at 517 legs)
    (looks at 522 tier legs)

what?

is this real life

That's what you get for jumping the gun so early Holyshnikies. Always wait for final confirmation of patch information before making such a decision. That said, definitely a good decision on their part for non-raiders and alts.

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    Uh... no. I know you compulsively feel like you have to post first, and pretend to make insightful comments in a rush. But that is just wrong, and does not even make sense, ilvl is ilvl...

http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=95145

Item Level 522
    Neck
    +1302 Stamina
    +868 Intellect
    +480 Spirit
    +637 Critical Strike (1.06% @ L90)

http://www.wowhead.com/item=86976

Item Level 517
    Upgrade Level 2/2
    Neck
    +1243 Stamina
    +828 Intellect
    +484 Spirit
    +592 Critical Strike (0.99% @ L90)
    Last edited by Sprucelee; 2013-02-13 at 05:12 AM.
    Resto Druid - Temerity - 7/7M @ 3 Days / Week

It's a welcome change. As a new 90 alt, I don't have to spend my VP on 489 stuff. Instead I can use them on 496 to increase my ilvl more.