Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How would this make you feel? (This is a rant thread.)

Hello all you little kids and kittens, I have a story for you. So just sit your little bottom right there, and open your eye holes.

Alright, so, this is how it starts. I recently took a break from WoW, starting maybe 3-4 months ago, and I recently felt the urge to play again. So, I try to log back into my Battle.net account one day, and to my surprise I can't. My account had been hacked. So, I call up Blizzard support, and I tell them my situation, I get my account back and my information changed. No hassle, no fuss, very smooth and easy process. Nice, right? Well, that's all fine and dandy, but I just found out some troubling news that may make me rethink my position on Blizzard's support.

So, I have not yet resubscribe even though I planned to. I get on my WoW armory to make sure nothing has been changed. Surprisingly NOTHING has been changed. Or, so I thought. I was really happy that nothing had been done to my characters during the time my account was hacked, but just not to long ago I noticed ALL of my gold was gone. Every character I have had ZERO gold on it (except for the occasional 30 some silver). Well, I did some more digging. Looked at item restore for my characters, and apparently all the items in my characters bags had been sold, and all the gold transferred to who knows where.

Alright, so, I'm pretty upset, but I figure Blizzard support can just get it all back for me since my account had been compromised. I open a ticket explaining my situation, and what do I get? NO. (more or less of course). They tell me the hack took place to long ago, and cannot give me my gold back. I tell them "Yeah, I was taking a break from WoW, and I come back to this? How is this my fault? I should be able to get my gold back that was wrongfully taken from my account." They tell me that "their goal" is to have all characters in "playable condition" which mine is, and I will not get my gold back.

Alright, I understand I can farm it back, but how would this make you feel if ALL of your gold was taken from you and you where basically told "It's easy to get back, don't complain." I had quite a hefty some of gold too, it would take a LONG time to get it all back. Also, some of you may say that I am in a playable condition, which I am, but who wants to play after their belongings have been taken from them and all of their gold is gone?

Anyway, that's my story/rant. I just want to know what peoples opinion on this matter is.

PS. No, I will not be resubscribing.
    Last edited by Araxie; 2013-02-13 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Araxie View Post
    Also, some of you may say that I am in a playable condition, which I am, but who wants to play after their belongings have been taken from them and all of their gold is gone?

Anyway, that's my story/rant. I just want to know what peoples opinion on this matter is.

I'm confused as to what you actually need the gold for. I mean, yeah it sucks if you had a lot and now no longer do, but Blizz technically is right. All your gear is there, a liveable amount of gold is easily farmed up - even if you just do dailies for coins or whatever, so why exactly does the lack of gold interrupt your play experience at such an extent that you no longer want to play?

Do you miss that big number in your backpack or was there a real reason?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I have your gol.... Oh

On a more serious note, take it easy pal, I know it may be frustrating but what others say are true, gold is very easy to acquire. Do some dailies, they are easy as pie and you get about 19G each.
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2013-02-13 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Can I have your gol.... Oh
    Yeah, let me just add up the remaining silver across about 12-13 characters, and I will be able to give you maybe 2 gold.

This same thing happened to me. I argued with support for a few days, but they wouldn't budge. My situation though was that I had no gear or anything. I had to do some delivery quest to get enough gold to buy a crappy weapon from a vendor just so I could start doing things. It was......frustrating but interesting at the same time. To say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    I'm confused as to what you actually need the gold for. I mean, yeah it sucks if you had a lot and now no longer do, but Blizz technically is right. All your gear is there, a liveable amount of gold is easily farmed up - even if you just do dailies for coins or whatever, so why exactly does the lack of gold interrupt your play experience at such an extent that you no longer want to play?

You don't use your gold on a daily basis? Repairs, reagents, Auction House, Mats for Proffs, and just random items you want? Not only that, it's mostly the principle of the matter.

So you allowed your account to be compromised and are upset when someone else can't fix the problems you created?

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post

I think it's more of a principle thing for him. He lost it at no fault of his own and cannot have it restored. Honestly it might not be possible for them to restore the gold they cant keep their databases full of inactive accounts for years at some point they need to "take out the trash" every once in awhile so to speak.

Either way that's a shitty situation but FYI mobile authenticators are free.

Quote Originally Posted by Brash View Post
    I think it's more of a principle thing for him. He lost it at no fault of his own and cannot have it restored. Honestly it might not be possible for them to restore the gold they cant keep their databases full of inactive accounts for years at some point they need to "take out the trash" every once in awhile so to speak.

Either way that's a shitty situation but FYI mobile authenticators are free.
    Failing to keep your account information secure is no ones fault but your own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Though, if you DO stick with your original decision of leaving, may I inquire about your trade-able valuables?

BTW http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100001981
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2013-02-13 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Ok so no fault is incorrect but it's still a shitty situation and it's ok to have some empathy for other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your gold was that imporant to you, why did you leave your account alone for so long?
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    If your gold was that imporant to you, why did you leave your account alone for so long?
    I just took a break from WoW for a few months after being burned out on it. I just canceled my subscription, and then a few months later came back to find that my account had been hacked. I wasn't under the impression that if I left my account sit for a while that everything would turn south the way it did.

Hello all you little kids and kittens, I have a story for you. So just sit your little bottom right there, and open your eye holes.

Alright, so, this is how it starts. I recently took a break from WoW, starting maybe 3-4 months ago, and I recently felt the urge to play again. So, I try to log back into my Battle.net account one day, and to my surprise I can't. My account had been hacked. So, I call up Blizzard support, and I tell them my situation, I get my account back and my information changed. No hassle, no fuss, very smooth and easy process. Nice, right? Well, that's all fine and dandy, but I just found out some troubling news that may make me rethink my position on Blizzard's support.

So, I have not yet resubscribe even though I planned to. I get on my WoW armory to make sure nothing has been changed. Surprisingly NOTHING has been changed. Or, so I thought. I was really happy that nothing had been done to my characters during the time my account was hacked, but just not to long ago I noticed ALL of my gold was gone. Every character I have had ZERO gold on it (except for the occasional 30 some silver). Well, I did some more digging. Looked at item restore for my characters, and apparently all the items in my characters bags had been sold, and all the gold transferred to who knows where.

Alright, so, I'm pretty upset, but I figure Blizzard support can just get it all back for me since my account had been compromised. I open a ticket explaining my situation, and what do I get? NO. (more or less of course). They tell me the hack took place to long ago, and cannot give me my gold back. I tell them "Yeah, I was taking a break from WoW, and I come back to this? How is this my fault? I should be able to get my gold back that was wrongfully taken from my account." They tell me that "their goal" is to have all characters in "playable condition" which mine is, and I will not get my gold back.

Alright, I understand I can farm it back, but how would this make you feel if ALL of your gold was taken from you and you where basically told "It's easy to get back, don't complain." I had quite a hefty some of gold too, it would take a LONG time to get it all back. Also, some of you may say that I am in a playable condition, which I am, but who wants to play after their belongings have been taken from them and all of their gold is gone?

I don't think there is a fair resolution.

If they restore gold to people who may not have protected their accounts from hacks or may have sold their gold willingly, then it breeds the problem.

If they don't, then that is very inconvenient and annoying for players who were hacked. If my account was hacked, I would be pissed as well if my gold was not restored.

One way to feel good about it is, do you really need that gold to enjoy the game? Probably not. If you decided to play again, you could possible not think about gold and just enjoy the game. You may slowly build up some savings, but it may be better not to obsess to reach the same amount you had before the hack.

Another way to feel good is to quit and do something useful with the time in real life. Quitting could allow you start sports or arts or put more time into your career or socialize more in real life. You could convert the negative event into a positive change in your life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just took a break from WoW for a few months after being burned out on it. I just canceled my subscription, and then a few months later came back to find that my account had been hacked. I wasn't under the impression that if I left my account sit for a while that everything would turn south the way it did.
    I think the distinct possibility of that occuring is fairly common knowledge. You really have nothing to rightfully complain against Blizzard about from your tale.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    do something useful with the time in real life
    start arts
    Does not compute
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

You are not resubscribing so you do not need the gold. You got hacked, Blizz did not randomly remove your gold, and 99% of the time hacked=no authenticator. If you report things fast they will replace it - my GM was hacked while I was online and I ticketed it and texted him at the same time so he could log and report it - within 30 minutes Blizz had replaced his gold and the guild bank's gold. They cannot perform miracles for careless people. They will try, usually, if you do not rant at them. Maybe you were rude to them and they did the minimum. But, as I started this, you left account unsecured. Tough but what do you expect.

You allowed your account to get hacked, it is in no way blizzard's fault that it happened.
    You either got a keylogger from somewhere or you gave away your information on some scam.
    It could have been worse tbh, blizzard is using resources saving backups of your characters and having them restored.
    They even sell authenticators that they get no profit from just so people that cant keep their information/computer secure wouldn't get hacked so easily.
    It is just mind boggling how many people cant keep their info/computer secure and it is even weirder that after something bad happens (that is completely your fault) you get angry at blizzard not fixing it.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    There was a recent security breach on Blizzard's end which caused accounts to be compromised. Mine was included in these compromises and I lost items and gold. It was, fortunately, returned to me when I requested. It's also possible for hackers to use other compromised sources of data (how many people do you think have the same Gmail and BNet login details?) to gain access, which is also some pretty rubbish practices on the user's part, but still allows compromises completely outside of the user's control.

To me, it sounds like Blizzard should probably review how it backs up its character data to prevent this in future. Create a copy of characters whenever the player's subscription time runs out, and if an account is hacked, revert to one of these copies?
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2013-02-13 at 05:02 AM.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    You allowed your account to get hacked, it is in no way blizzard's fault that it happened.
    You either got a keylogger from somewhere or you gave away your information on some scam.
    It could have been worse tbh, blizzard is using resources saving backups of your characters and having them restored.
    They even sell authenticators that they get no profit from just so people that cant keep their information/computer secure wouldn't get hacked so easily.
    It is just mind boggling how many people cant keep their info/computer secure and it is even weirder that after something bad happens (that is completely your fault) you get angry at blizzard not fixing it.
    Okay, for the record, I am not blaming Blizzard I got hacked. I understand how it happened, and I am not blaming Blizzard at all. What I'm saying is that I got hacked, and things were taken from the account during the hack and I would like it back. I'm upset that I won't get it back, but I understand there's nothing I can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Though, if you DO stick with your original decision of leaving, may I inquire about your trade-able valuables?
    That's a fancy way of saying "CAN I HAZ YOUR STUFF". I love it, well done brother.