Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

My "Rough Draft."

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DiwE

This is the "rough draft" of the computer I will be putting together sometime in late February to mid March.

Any input appreciated.
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2013-02-13 at 05:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you want to stick with the v-raptor, you can drop the CPU down to an i5-3570k and get a second raptor and RAID0 them for almost twice the speed

10+ Year Old Account
    The i7 really isn't any 'faster' than the i5, unless you're doing something extremely specific that warrants it. Usually people mention such.

Also, the velociraptor is... fast? But it's basically just a crippled SSD. It really has no purpose.

If you want a storage drive, just get either A) A bigger SSD or B) A normal HDD drive. Anything on storage is pretty instant anyway, since you're probably only using one or two files at a time. I just loaded a 1.6gb movie and it took all of.. like.. 1.5 seconds? Do you really need to sacrifice hard drive space/money to cut that down to. 1.3 seconds?

I've used Raptor and Velociraptor drives up until I got an SSD. They really have no purpose anymore.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    The 10k rpm drive is not only expensive, but stupid. For speed you have the SSD, and for everything else you won't notice the difference between a 7200rpm and a 10krpm drive. For the same cost as your SSD+HDD combo you could get: 1x 500GB Samsung 840 or 2x 250GB Samsung 840. Or you could stay with the 840 pro and replace the Velociraptor with a 1TB WD RE4 drive (which wouldn't be much slower anyway). Also, 10krpm drives are really noisy.

Again:
    - The things you need speed for, you put on the SSD.
    - For all other stuff (like music, pictures, videos, ...), you get a normal hard drive. This could even be a slow 5400rpm drive and you wouldn't really notice any difference.
    - If your intention is to use the second drive for fraps, the 250GB Velociraptor is too small anyway. Get a 1 or 2 TB WD Caviar Black or RE4 instead.
    - The difference between the Samsung 840 and 840 pro is barely noticeable (if even that) in the real world.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have a lot of the same parts as you and I must say that I don't like that CPU Cooler. I just returned it today.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    I have a lot of the same parts as you and I must say that I don't like that CPU Cooler. I just returned it today.
    What didn't you like? It's a very commonly recommended one usually.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    why no normal 1600 ram? also raptors are old tech but perhaps it helps if you list for what purpose you exactly wanted to use the drive? (im thinking it won't be something a raid 0 setup of 2x 7.2k RPM drives can't handle.
    also mind beeing more specific on what "speed" aspect you want to be so high in your rig? (this also raises the question of overclocking yay/nay?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    The H212 is a great cooler for its price and is highly recommended for people who aren't going to overclock much, even then it can still can handle a hefty overclock, maybe you don't know how to apply thermal paste correctly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    also raptors are old tech
    they have updated the raptor, they are not a bad drive, but very situational on usage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineko View Post
    The H212 is a great cooler for its price and is highly recommended for people who aren't going to overclock much, even then it can still can handle a hefty overclock, maybe you don't know how to apply thermal paste correctly?
    How about the fact that the cooler is fucking MASSIVE?!?! Ever think of that? I'd heard about how big they were, but I bought one anyway. Fuck all that nonsense. I couldn't even fit the damned thing in on my mobo, no matter how I turned it or reseated it, it covered at least one of my RAM slots. On top of that, the thing juts out about 2-3 inches from the side of your case. There's no way to put the case cover back on if you're using that thing!

I too returned mine. Same day I got it, too. That cooler is freaking ridiculous, and the the minimal temperature difference it gives you isn't worth the loss of a RAM slot for me. Maybe if you're running a high-tower case, or some custom thing, sure. But not in a small- or mid-tower case, no way. I ended up getting a corsair water cooler for mine, it hardly takes up any space, easy to set up, and leaves a ton of free room in my case now. Quiet as hell, too. Also, if I remember correctly, the 212 COMES with thermal paste on it, so maybe instead of trying to rag on someone, do a little research so you don't look like an ignorant ass next time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't even fit the damned thing in on my mobo, no matter how I turned it or reseated it, it covered at least one of my RAM slots.
    A little research would show that you should get low profile ram with better air coolers.
    There's no way to put the case cover back on if you're using that thing!
    You probably have a smaller than normal case, then.
    and the the minimal temperature difference it gives you isn't worth the loss of a RAM slot for me.
    the 25c difference during overclocking is 'minimal'?
    I ended up getting a corsair water cooler for mine, it hardly takes up any space, easy to set up, and leaves a ton of free room in my case now.
    And costs how much extra?
    Quiet as hell, too.
    Kick that up to full load. From what I've heard, water coolers are louder than air coolers at 100%

Deleted
    The 212 doesn't come with thermal paste applied, although it does come with a small tube of it.

Also, I have a mid tower case and I have an inch of room between the side panel and the top of the cooler, and any problems with ram can be sorted by buying low profile stuff, I've had no issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    How about the fact that the cooler is fucking MASSIVE?!?! Ever think of that? I'd heard about how big they were, but I bought one anyway. Fuck all that nonsense. I couldn't even fit the damned thing in on my mobo, no matter how I turned it or reseated it, it covered at least one of my RAM slots. On top of that, the thing juts out about 2-3 inches from the side of your case. There's no way to put the case cover back on if you're using that thing!

I too returned mine. Same day I got it, too. That cooler is freaking ridiculous, and the the minimal temperature difference it gives you isn't worth the loss of a RAM slot for me. Maybe if you're running a high-tower case, or some custom thing, sure. But not in a small- or mid-tower case, no way. I ended up getting a corsair water cooler for mine, it hardly takes up any space, easy to set up, and leaves a ton of free room in my case now. Quiet as hell, too. Also, if I remember correctly, the 212 COMES with thermal paste on it, so maybe instead of trying to rag on someone, do a little research so you don't look like an ignorant ass next time?
    Turbo ease up there a second, you were warned, the height of the cooler is listed quite clearly and finding the information on your specific case for max cooler height isn't hard to find. If it can fit in a NZXT source 210 it can fit in almost any case.
    If it really does such a bad job at cooling you may also wish to explain why its the budget overclocking cooler of choice? Also the most widely regarded best performance air cooler is the Noctua NH-D14 which is guess what, bigger than the hyper 212 and as an added bonus it also covers ram slots (thus why people spend the extra $10 on low profile ram) it also clocks in under h100 performance and is cheaper. If you were that worried about the size you could have easily spent the money on a custom loop because a basic custom loop is about the same coin as a h100 and works better.

Seriously don't complain about something blind when the information is all around you.

Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    thus why people spend the extra $10 on low profile ram
    Low profile RAM costs exactly the same, some people just are fools to buy into stupid decoration heatsinks that serve no purpose. Unless you overclock the RAM you don't need any heatsinks on it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Correction Chazus: Apart from the pump making a little noise at full load, the only difference between noise levels in a watercooler and an aircooler is determined by their fans. Buy a good fan for either of them and they will perform equally and sound pretty much equal. The advantage with a watercooler is more ways to tweak the noiselevel, it takes up less room, it looks sexier, it cools better at same fan RPMs.

If he wants a watercooler then let him buy it, no need to recommend anything over it as he will have to get a couple of quality silent fans anyway for either of them to perform good+silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Correction Chazus: Apart from the pump making a little noise at full load, the only difference between noise levels in a watercooler and an aircooler is determined by their fans. Buy a good fan for either of them and they will perform equally and sound pretty much equal.
    The important thing is that all Asetek watercoolers come with really noisy fans, you basically have to pay extra on day one to make those silent, while high end air coolers actually ship with decent fans. When you buy H100i + silent fans you're already paying double the price of Noctua NH-D14 which makes it rather questionable use of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    The advantage with a watercooler is more ways to tweak the noiselevel, it takes up less room, it looks sexier, it cools better at same fan RPMs.
    The ways to tweak noise are the same, but it does take less room around the CPU allowing decoration RAMs to be used. At maximum fan speed H100i gets temperatures about 2C lower than D14 but it doesn't really mean anything when you're 50C or 52C below maximum allowed for the processor and can't overclock any higher because of Ivy Bridge voltage cap. End result is exactly same OC and 1-2C difference in case temp, but you pay $50-100 more for the H100i.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    The important thing is that all Asetek watercoolers come with really noisy fans, you basically have to pay extra on day one to make those silent, while high end air coolers actually ship with decent fans. When you buy H100i + silent fans you're already paying double the price of Noctua NH-D14 which makes it rather questionable use of money.

The ways to tweak noise are the same, but it does take less room around the CPU allowing decoration RAMs to be used. At maximum fan speed H100i gets temperatures about 2C lower than D14 but it doesn't really mean anything when you're 50C or 52C below maximum allowed for the processor and can't overclock any higher because of Ivy Bridge voltage cap. End result is exactly same OC and 1-2C difference in case temp, but you pay $50-100 more for the H100i.
    Completely agree with you, economically it isn't a good buy. It's more for cosmetics than anything else. Only if you clock on Sandy-E would 2C make any difference. The Noctua D14 is the best value for money performance/silent CPU cooler in my book too. The H100i with nice Noctua or Noiseblocker fans is however the sexier option, but it will cost. I wouldn't skimp on other parts to get that either, only if it didn't matter to my budget would I consider it tbh. Day one fan upgrades is however mandatory for the Closed Loop watercoolers such as the H80i and H100i in my opinion. They are just too noisy to recommend without sacrifising performance to the point where you could just as well go with a cheap air cooler.

Edit: Been using H100i now for about a week, there are literally a million ways to tweak the noise level and it is much easier compared to any other cooler due to the bundled software provided by corsair. You can set up a fan-plan completely after your own taste in such a way I have never seen before on any other cooler. My computer is not audible anymore, at all, I have to start Steam on my HDD to be able to tell it's even working.

10+ Year Old Account
    something i would add that hasn't really been discussed is noise, air heatsinks typically are quieter, i would assume this is due to the shape of the fins compared to a radiator, radiators have more spots for turbulence,

whether that is correct or not there is another factor, heatsinks are located in the core of a chassis, not on an outer edge like a radiator, so noise has less chance to escape

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    they have updated the raptor, they are not a bad drive, but very situational on usage
    perhaps old is not the right word but with the entry of ssd's their actual main usage factors have been diminished compared to how ssd's outperform it.
    still only way we can say for sure would be with more input from the OP for what he intends to use the raptor for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    perhaps old is not the right word but with the entry of ssd's their actual main usage factors have been diminished compared to how ssd's outperform it.
    still only way we can say for sure would be with more input from the OP for what he intends to use the raptor for?
    they are pretty limited on use anymore, mainly for a high performance storage server, or large capacity work project drive, given the price of the 1TB raptors they still have a niche, but it's quickly vanishing, as for a cool factor, the are still up there, but i think the first gen raptor still holds the crown