Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    This may be cheap if you can make the mats yourself but that isn't the issue.

It will take a long time because of the huge amount of mats needed Ghost Iron Ore × 600 Black Trillium Ore × 180 White Trillium Ore × 180 Mote of Harmony × 900
    That is listing the materials for just the no-cooldown "riddle of steel" method of making Living Steel. If they are just made through the daily normal living steel transmute, no Spirits or Motes are required whatsoever. And unless you're opposed to using the Auction House, it is likely many alchemists will be using their daily living steel CD and putting them on the AH like always, especially with 5.2 when demand will most certainly go up. Even if you wanted to do it yourself, the Stabilized Lightning source is limited to 1 a day so you could still just do the daily living steel transmute and you'd have enough because you'd get 1 of each per day for 30 days.

It's expensive in terms of time investment (not even really that as each item "creation" probably takes 5-10 seconds at most, but in "waiting" time), but in terms of expensive mounts it's really not that expensive. Undermine Journal puts the (averaged) price of living steel at about 435g and Ghost Iron at around 6g per bar. Which totals to about 14850g and 30 days of waiting.

Other mounts for comparison (again using UMJ data where applicable, and of course applying guild perk discount and any associated faction discounts):

Mekgineer's Chopper: 11250g (Vendor Mats) + 3180g (titansteel) + 250g (bolts) + 50g (fur) = 14730g

Vial of the Sands: 26100g (vendor mats) + 3170g (truegold) + 700g (flasks) + 80g (oil) = 30050g

Grand Expedition Yak: 108,000g

Traveler's Tundra Mammoth: 14,000g

Jewelcrafting "4 color" panthers: ~21,000g each, give or take a few hundred based on gem color

Jewelcrafting Onyx Panther: Just the 4 above combined, so ~84,000g

Again, it's really quite cheap. It's the waiting that is the "expense", I suppose, building up excitement perhaps.

edit: Sort of quoted the wrong person. As you said basically what I am saying (aside from getting the required mats wrong).
    Last edited by Spiralphoenix; 2013-02-13 at 05:03 PM.

I hope it doesn't require engineering to use...

Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    90 spirit of harmony, too cheap?
    Yeah that is like 900 motes of harmony.. that's a LOT...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    That is listing the materials for just the no-cooldown "riddle of steel" method of making Living Steel. If they are just made through the daily normal living steel transmute, no Spirits or Motes are required whatsoever. And unless you're opposed to using the Auction House, it is likely many alchemists will be using their daily living steel CD and putting them on the AH like always, especially with 5.2 when demand will most certainly go up. Even if you wanted to do it yourself, the Stabilized Lightning source is limited to 1 a day so you could still just do the daily living steel transmute and you'd have enough because you'd get 1 of each per day for 30 days.

It's expensive in terms of time investment (not even really that as each item "creation" probably takes 5-10 seconds at most, but in "waiting" time), but in terms of expensive mounts it's really not that expensive. Undermine Journal puts the (averaged) price of living steel at about 435g and Ghost Iron at around 6g per bar. Which totals to about 14850g and 30 days of waiting.

Other mounts for comparison (again using UMJ data where applicable, and of course applying guild perk discount and any associated faction discounts):

Mekgineer's Chopper: 11250g (Vendor Mats) + 3180g (titansteel) + 250g (bolts) + 50g (fur) = 14730g

Vial of the Sands: 26100g (vendor mats) + 3170g (truegold) + 700g (flasks) + 80g (oil) = 30050g

Grand Expedition Yak: 108,000g

Traveler's Tundra Mammoth: 14,000g

Jewelcrafting "4 color" panthers: ~21,000g each, give or take a few hundred based on gem color

Jewelcrafting Onyx Panther: Just the 4 above combined, so ~84,000g

Again, it's really quite cheap. It's the waiting that is the "expense", I suppose, building up excitement perhaps.

edit: Sort of quoted the wrong person. As you said basically what I am saying (aside from getting the required mats wrong).
    But for calculating the costs of the mounts, you have to consider that Engineers can make their own Ghost Iron bolts, and Ghost Iron is everywhere... I've had stacks of em just sitting in by bags for a while now.

Back in WotLK, an engineer/miner (which is what most engineers would be) could make their own titansteel free of charge if they were willing to wait for the daily CD, meaning the only mats they'd have to fork over gold for would be the vendor mats and the two (not 30) arctic fur. It was a similar situation for alchemists and vial of the sands.

Now, however, Engineers are practically reliant upon Alchemists, in addition to the raw materials required from mining. (And Blacksmiths are in the same boat.) Now, consider... are alchemists reliant upon either engineers or blacksmiths for their flasks, gems, or anything else they sell? No.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

My server living steel cost nothing already got 30 for 6k and I mined all the ghost iron myself. 6k for 2 person flying mount is pretty sweet, but having to wait for stage 3 of that isle and then 30days is terrible.
    Last edited by Wow; 2013-02-14 at 02:28 AM.

Deleted
    Well 30 damn days waiting, for real?
    God damn it. Propably just to make Engineers earn some gold.
    30 living steels aren't big deal (around 8-9k gold), dunno how much they will charge for those thingys tho.

I got 5 panthers, 2 eng rockets, the yak, Alani and any available rep mounts. Combined cost at least 0.5M gold.
    I just hope it won't be another 100k+ mount, wanting some TCG's now and money this large is quite time consuming to come by (10k per hour at my best)

From what I see on wowuction and my own realm the only mount that got subject to duping was jeweled onyx panther. Other mounts are actually greatly above crafting cost on AH, the kyparium rocket never falls below 85k while I picked an eng from trade to do it for 70k combined cost (55k my mats, 15k for his spirits and kyperite - still a gigantic tip for him)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    I hope it doesn't require engineering to use...
    i think they stopped doing that for engineering crafted mounts it rlly our only way to make money other than scopes

i hope the pilot sits on top of the claw while he can pick up a party member with the claw
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    i think they stopped doing that for engineering crafted mounts it rlly our only way to make money other than scopes
    Scopes usually end up selling for less than their materials do alone, though. Cogwheels and mechanical dragonlings are pretty profitable however.

But making that investment with living steel in the hopes of selling the mount (including the appreciable price of the CD) seems a bit... slipshod. (In addition to downright annoying)
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'll just keep all the living steel I transmute every day for myself until we get more information about this.
    I really wonder what it'll look like (where exactly the two passengers will sit).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    But for calculating the costs of the mounts, you have to consider that Engineers can make their own Ghost Iron bolts, and Ghost Iron is everywhere... I've had stacks of em just sitting in by bags for a while now.

Back in WotLK, an engineer/miner (which is what most engineers would be) could make their own titansteel free of charge if they were willing to wait for the daily CD, meaning the only mats they'd have to fork over gold for would be the vendor mats and the two (not 30) arctic fur. It was a similar situation for alchemists and vial of the sands.

Now, however, Engineers are practically reliant upon Alchemists, in addition to the raw materials required from mining. (And Blacksmiths are in the same boat.) Now, consider... are alchemists reliant upon either engineers or blacksmiths for their flasks, gems, or anything else they sell? No.
    ...Not really, that ghost iron isn't free just because you got it yourself. Seems to be a pretty common thing people say... "I farmed it so all these mats cost me nothing". It cost you the time of farming it and the amount you could have made by just selling it directly. And most of those costs I put were based on the base materials, not the final ones.

Saying we're reliant on Alchemists is really a bit of a stretch too, you're just reliant on the AH being stocked with living steel. And it's been a common theme for a long time for professions to have synergy, there's nothing wrong with it really. I used the average living steel AH price in those calculations, so the amount remains roughly the same (though Living Steel's price will rise a bit in 5.2). Still way cheaper that most other expensive (>10k) mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Camui View Post
    I'll just keep all the living steel I transmute every day for myself until we get more information about this.
    I really wonder what it'll look like (where exactly the two passengers will sit).
    http://ptr.wowdb.com/spells/134359-sky-claw
    With this line " Effect #2 Apply Aura: Change Model (68211)" My guess is it turns you into the sky claw and carry's the passenger in the claw.

Quote Originally Posted by hugsofdeath View Post
    Sounds too easy and cheap honestly, there has got to be a catch of some sort...
    Catch is that it will be everywhere for a few weeks then everyone will shelve it because easy mounts that everyone have are boring.

Deleted
    ...Not really, that ghost iron isn't free just because you got it yourself. Seems to be a pretty common thing people say... "I farmed it so all these mats cost me nothing". It cost you the time of farming it and the amount you could have made by just selling it directly. And most of those costs I put were based on the base materials, not the final ones.

Saying we're reliant on Alchemists is really a bit of a stretch too, you're just reliant on the AH being stocked with living steel. And it's been a common theme for a long time for professions to have synergy, there's nothing wrong with it really. I used the average living steel AH price in those calculations, so the amount remains roughly the same (though Living Steel's price will rise a bit in 5.2). Still way cheaper that most other expensive (>10k) mounts.
    The problem isn't the synergy it's that the synergy isn't remotely comparable. Blizzard seem keen on making most of the big ticket items rely on daily CDs and some professions have their own daily CD like Tailoring and Imperial Silk, while others like Engineering rely on another professions daily CD for their Living Steel. Noone complains about synergy but rather the inequity of the current situation and I think most people would prefer more synergy across the professions as long as it was on a more or less equal basis.

Deleted
    It looks so cool

Are the ghost iron thingies going to require daily CD or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    In my eyes, the time invested to sell ghost iron (having to constantly babysit and repost it for a few shreds of gold in the end) outweighs the time necessary to collect it. It's literally everywhere.

Synergy implies some sort of mutual exchange. If what you said were true, we'd see Alchemy items requiring Stabilized lightning sources (lots of them) to make. Are they any like that? No.

I'd be more inclined to call it something akin to parasitism. I mean, sure, a tapeworm has to make its eggs, but it's just leaching the energy to do so off of someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    The problem isn't the synergy it's that the synergy isn't remotely comparable. Blizzard seem keen on making most of the big ticket items rely on daily CDs and some professions have their own daily CD like Tailoring and Imperial Silk, while others like Engineering rely on another professions daily CD for their Living Steel. Noone complains about synergy but rather the inequity of the current situation and I think most people would prefer more synergy across the professions as long as it was on a more or less equal basis.
    Pretty much this.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-02-15 at 09:36 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

If it costs just a few shreds of gold, then your time is probably better spent just buying it in the first place. Playing the AH / doing shuffles / etc. will always be more profitable for the time you put in than directly farming is, especially if you're farming something the markets saturated with already. If you absolutely must farm it should be something the market isn't saturated with, that you can sell, and buy what is plentiful. I see farming ghost iron as mostly a waste of time unless you are leveling a toon that happens to have mining and then you just pick up what comes in your path.

Still seems a ridiculous thing to complain about. The AH is pretty consistently littered with them. You're really not reliant at all, they will be up there. Just buy them now if it's such an issue. And nothing could require stabilized lightning sources outside of Engi because they are BoP... sure they could make other Engi mats required by other professions, but it has never really been that way. And even with this weak "reliance" on Alchemy, it's still one of the cheapest "expensive" mounts in the game, and a very cool one by the looks of it. If anything I would expect people to be complaining that they have to wait 30 days to get it (because of the SLS being BoP/daily). Living Steel is the least of my concerns as it is really not expensive and is not a limiter in the time required to create the mount, unless your server is outrageously dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    Catch is that it will be everywhere for a few weeks then everyone will shelve it because easy mounts that everyone have are boring.
    I know I certainly don't base my mount use on its popularity. If it looks cool to me, I use it. A lot of people are this way.

Deleted
    Wowowowowow. I thought this was going to be some random idea or drawing made by a fan, but it turns out it's an actual mount.

<3 Engineering in WoW.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not really sure how this is going to work. They've already added 2 new rockets this expansion. It just seems too good to be true.

And how the hell do you pilot the sky claw.

Deleted
    i dont mind it costing raw materials, but i hope its not 90k vendor items again. kind of annoying with the other new enginereering mounts its stupid to make them unless for selling due to the gold cost. i dont mind farming mats and paying some gold, but the two new engineering rockets are just too expensive to even bother making.. should have fun with this shame i dont have an alchemist, ive got about 6 lviing steel in the bank, going to have to start collecting more! 90 spirits of harmony! alchemists are going to be in high demand next patch

10+ Year Old Account
    why the hell do we always have to rely on another profession to create a mount? why cant blizz just allow us to make mounts out of items that we engineers actually craft...make it an absurd amount fine, but stop making me buy mats from others to create something that is from my maxed out profession....